follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #29
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,909 Times in 2,039 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
A lot of people will tell you it is a bad idea to get a 600 for your first bike.
Generally, it is.

Quote:
I had numerous people tell me this as well. It all depends on how mature YOU are. It takes a while to learn to master riding a bike properly.

I picked up a brand new GSX-R 600 as my first bike when I was 19. I have owned 3 bikes since then and have never dropped or downed one because I learned what my limits were and stay on the lower side of them.
BUT, you spent a LOT more money than you needed to, and got horrible street ergos. For you, maybe no problemo on either count. For MOST newbs, it's just stupid to spend that much money and to have a bike that is *very* compromised as a street bike.

When I was 19, I didn't have a gazillion bucks, and I knew I didn't want a race bike to be my street bike, so I got a used Yamaha Radian (oh yeah, that is a 600cc four, ha ha!). That bike lasted me a LONG time!

Anyway, for me, getting a 600cc supersport for a first bike makes about as much financial and practical sense as getting an Ariel Atom for a first car. Cool? YES! Fast? Hell yes! Good idea? NO, even if you drive reasonably and maturely!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Exhaust (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #30
Toyobaru808

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have both, I love both. Get both!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Toyobaru808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #31
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
If you were going to only use the 600rr on the track then I'd say get it. If you'll be streeting with the occasional track day I would say FZ6 or Aprilia Shiver or Ducati Monster is a much better bet with 95% of the speed still there (plus more low end torque) and so much more comfortable. Generally speaking The Monster is for shorter people and the Shiver and FZ6 are good for taller people (I'm 6' so I'm considered taller supposedly).

I'd say test drive an FR-S or BRZ a couple times or have someone let you drive one and see if it would be fun enough for you to get rid of the econobox.

Also if finances aren't an issue why not see the Corolla and get both?
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #32
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
This is true, however I just assume that everyone who lives in Texas owns a truck already
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Don't forget a truck to take it to the track, etc.
Yeah thats another problem, I dont own a truck and never favorited owning one. I could always rent for like 20 bucks if I really had to or just ride it to the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
@Exhaust, have you considered getting a bike strictly for the track? You could still get your speed fix without living quite so dangerously. I have a friend who does that out in Cali and he absolutely loves it. Get one cheap enough and you can still get the FR-S for the street!
That was the main purpose, track, occasional street rights. I dont mean to give anyone the perception of racing on the street, thats not what im interested in. I'm more so looking to perfect my motor technique, was thinking the bike being a different platform would be more fun to do so in. But then again I can do the same with the twins in an AutoX or Time attack challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
If you were going to only use the 600rr on the track then I'd say get it. If you'll be streeting with the occasional track day I would say FZ6 or Aprilia Shiver or Ducati Monster is a much better bet with 95% of the speed still there (plus more low end torque) and so much more comfortable. Generally speaking The Monster is for shorter people and the Shiver and FZ6 are good for taller people (I'm 6' so I'm considered taller supposedly).

I'd say test drive an FR-S or BRZ a couple times or have someone let you drive one and see if it would be fun enough for you to get rid of the econobox.

Also if finances aren't an issue why not see the Corolla and get both?
Playing with this idea actually.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exhaust For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (12-18-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #33
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Conveniently, I have a CBR600 Track Bike sitting my garage that my brother would happily sell to you. It's pretty beat up though...
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #34
ducatichick
Ms GoodWench

Drives: BRZ WRB LTD 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Lots of good info here, but I'll add my own 2 cents anyway. I've been riding for almost 25 years and roadraced hard for 4 years.

Don't buy a 600 sport bike, especially new, as your first bike. Go for a 250, ride it for at least a year, and make sure you get bored with it before you move up to your next bike.

By starting w/a small bike you'll learn how to ride better - and be faster in the long run.

I've had all kinds of sport bikes - lost count. But I started on a piece of shit dirt bike, then had another junker, and another, and finally got a new sport bike as my 4th bike. After buying my 5th sport bike (ZX9) and 1st Ducati (916) I got a big trophy - wreckless driving. That's when I started racing.

I raced a Honda RS 125 for years - actually raced against Ben Spies in 1998. That kid beat me but now I don't feel so bad! I started on a 600 F3 but it was a handful and that class is stupid - headed for the smaller bikes where I learned some skills that really paid off later. With a small bike (or car like the BRZ) you learn to carry corner speed - something you're less likely to learn by starting on a 600+.

Twins definitely have more useful power for street riding. The SV650 would be an ok starter bike and great track bike - same with the Ninja 650.

My advice: get a 250 or 650 for the street, ride it for a year or so, then take it to the track. If you still want a street bike by then, you'll probably want something bigger than a 250/650.
ducatichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #35
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Generally, it is.

BUT, you spent a LOT more money than you needed to, and got horrible street ergos. For you, maybe no problemo on either count. For MOST newbs, it's just stupid to spend that much money and to have a bike that is *very* compromised as a street bike.

When I was 19, I didn't have a gazillion bucks, and I knew I didn't want a race bike to be my street bike, so I got a used Yamaha Radian (oh yeah, that is a 600cc four, ha ha!). That bike lasted me a LONG time!

Anyway, for me, getting a 600cc supersport for a first bike makes about as much financial and practical sense as getting an Ariel Atom for a first car. Cool? YES! Fast? Hell yes! Good idea? NO, even if you drive reasonably and maturely!

I didn't have a lot of money either, but the bike only ran me $80 a month. The gas savings almost covered that alone. I didn't buy it to be a street bike either. I just happened to see it at a bike show and they had a 0% finance offer, so I jumped. It was a sad day when I sold it... but then I was happy when I jumped on my ZX-10R.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #36
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,909 Times in 2,039 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
I didn't have a lot of money either, but the bike only ran me $80 a month.
In a pig's eye it did... What did you put down?
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #37
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Why do you want a bike for, what usage?

If you want a supersport because it looks and sounds good, I can guarantee you won't have as much fun as a street bike...specially when you're new.

I strongly suggest looking at sv650s, those bikes are cheap to buy, insure, very reliable, and are faster than you need them to be without risks of lifting the front end or skidding the rear by accident. And they actually have torque vs inline 600cc.

If you want to look good on a bike, by all mean get a supersport and ignore all comments/suggestions, I see that happen all the time.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #38
BadLuck

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
In the end it's your choice. I actually traded my bike in for my Frs. I had a brand new 08 GSXR-600 with M4gp full race exhaust system with upgraded intake, with Power Commander and a little more but that's not the point. Bikes are fun I'm not going to lie there is nothing like pegging the throttle back and letting the bike do its thing, leaning in the turns laughing at other drivers. But that's it! I was constantly worried about other drivers and idiot beginners. I was rear ended by another motorcycle while avoiding another rider that got the speed wobbles. I was going 80 mph! I'm lucky to be alive even more I'm lucky to have walked away. Now the Frs is a great car! It's quick and very agile you can play all day with out breaking your neck and the law! The cornering of the FRS is by far the best part about the car. It looks cool and you can tote your friends around. I was suprised with 3 other people about 200lbs a piece. ( I have big friends) the car is just as quick. Like I said at the beginning In the end it's your choice. I hope it helped!

BadLuck is better than no luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by BadLuck; 01-07-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Wanted to add picture!
BadLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #39
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Take the msf training course. worth every penny.

My recommendation is a 450-500 cc bike. not too big where youll pull a wheelie your first time and not to small where you will get tired of it.

My bike is a 95 suzuki gs500e. Love the thing. Its tried to kill me several times but during the worst days, its always had my back and got me home safe. It rides the highway easy. Its faster of the line than most cars you can get at dealers. Insurance is stupid low.

edit: best part is you can buy one on craigslist for $2000 and if you want can re sell it a year or two later for the same price easy. So after you get experience and can move on to bigger bikes, you wont take any hit on your wallet

heres a pic of both my summer time loves:
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #40
86fanatic

Drives: auto
No offense to anyone here, but I've found when it comes to getting motorcycle advice, especially on a car forum, especially related to sportbikes like the 600RR, the quality of advice is usually very poor and from people who generally have never even ridden a motorcycle before.

I was actually in the exact same boat as you, and posted a similar thread here.

I have absolutely no regrets about getting a motorcycle instead of another boring car, and actually it has ruined cars a bit for me because riding a motorcycle is just so much more fun, involving, enjoyable, and takes more skill, time, and there are just more techniques to master.

Personally I went for a cheap, used, 250 of which craigslist is full of them. I dropped it a couple times already - both times I didn't quite have the bike balanced on the kick stand. Once summer comes I will sell it for what I bought it for, maybe a bit more, and I'm currently looking for the next bike. 8 months later and I'm still having more fun on this little small slow motorcycle then I ever remember having in a car.

A lot of people here are telling you sport bikes are uncomfortable, too fast for the road, only meant for the track, but I ask you, how is a sport bike different then a FRS? A FRS isn't the most comfortable car you can buy, it is more speed then anyone really needs, and makes a bunch of compromises for being a sports car. The same is true of sportbikes, and I can tell you modern 600 Supersport machines are simply amazing machines. Don't let anyone turn you away from them, they actually have a very street friendly powerband, certainly no less so then any high revving low torque sport cars, and the amount of technology on them and how light and flick-able they are is something if you have any interest in motorcycles at all you have to experience at least once.

Yes, the risks are higher in a motorcycle, you have to understand that, and as part of that you have to take responsibility for your safety on the road on a motorcycle very seriously. It isn't just about you following all the rules of the road, it's understanding cars frequently break those rules and there's nothing you can do about it so it's your job to avoid them. Take the MSF course, read up the highly recommended motorcycle literature (Proficient Motorcycling, Twist of the Wrist) and dedicate yourself to safe road riding and you will be fine.

People like to point out how much more dangerous it is to ride a motorcycle, and it is, but it is also dangerous to drive a car. There are about 4k motorcycle deaths a year compared to about 32k car fatalities a year. There are about the same number of motorcycle deaths as people who get run over walking across the street (pedestrian deaths).

I'm not saying driving a car is more dangerous, but I am saying when your time is up your time is up, and you can either live in fear of it and not experience life, or take a chance and have a lot of fun while doing it.

In short: take the lessons, read up on riding safe, get a beater 250 bike to learn on for 1-2 months (put at least 3-5k miles on it), sell it for more then you paid for it, and decide what you want to do after that, either get the FRS/BRZ or get the supersport.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86fanatic For This Useful Post:
Exhaust (01-13-2013), Gixxersixxerman (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #41
MarcusM117

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
@86fanatic hits the nail on the head.

I actually just got back in from a ride on my 600RR and am about to wash my new FR-S

My first bike was a Ninja 500, a good balance between comfy and fun but I got bored with it by the end of my first riding season and moved onto the 600RR next. The lessons learned on that 500 have been invaluable. The 600RR doesn't appreciate the little mistakes you will make as a new rider, it will ride you instead of the other way around.

In the end, work up to a 600 and get the FR-S at the same time. The freedom of choice involved with waking up and deciding between a sports car and a super bike for the commute to work will always keep a smile on your face.
MarcusM117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #42
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
That new ninja 300 would be great.. Just as in the car world, it's better to drive a slow bike fast then a fast car slow. I started on a GSXR 600 an old broken 98... Paid 1000 for it back in 02.. I've seen bikes evolve to where they are today.. You'll learn more in the bike forums then here.. And just about every real bike forum has this topic stickied for a reason.. It's not a great idea.. ATGATT .. Meaning All The Gear All The Time.. Asphalt will beat skin everytime.. No matter what you get, after your MSF course take it to the track.. I learned more in that one day at the track then I did in the previous 8 months of riding..

I'm a little guy 5'5" so I fit pretty comfortable on my bike, but I am starting to get hand cramps in my throttle hand.. But I get it turning wrenches so myabe my 35 year old hands are starting to feel old. Anyways.. The thrill of riding is something special

Enjoying my first trackday in 4 years and the first on this bike and at streets of willow, with one of my best friends that is really fast

But just like that shit can happen

Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
Exhaust (01-13-2013)