follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Everything would be through Tein USA. They have a fully staffed and equipped facility local to us in Downey, CA.

The SRC is available now! We reviewed a production unit, not a pre-production prototype
Thanks. Is there any warranty and if so how long?
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mike, I also added a #6 question. Would love to hear your feedback if any. Sorry, I updated my original post not realizing you'd reply so quickly.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
Thanks. Is there any warranty and if so how long?
Tein suspension all comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty against defects.

For those that do plan on keeping the suspension for a long time, we can arrange for overhaul and revalving services though Tein USA.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
6. Glad you mentioned canyon runs. Our local mountains have a few bumpy patches mid turn. Really unsettles lesser suspension packages. This is a OT but maybe related question.. with all that spring stiffness do you guys notice a decrease in need to upgrade into stiffer sway bars for the BRZ and let the superior damping handle these high load, bumpy turns?
We believe the sways are a fine tuning tool. First, you pick the springs and dampers to achieve the rough balance you want. Then you play with the damper settings to refine that balance. Change springs and/or dampers if the settings are way off. Once you've achieved the best you can do with just springs and dampers, you use alignment, tire pressure, and sways to fine tune that balance.

We're still on stock sways, and feel no need to change them at this time.

The bumpiness and rough patches you mention are rarely worse than some of the conditions we run into at the track (SoWS, I'm looking, glaring even, at you), but you don't want to run on the ragged edge when there's so much risk involved. That's why I recommend a softer 7/7 setting, rather than 5/6. 7/7 is the setting I was using when I was... taking the CSG BRZ for spirited drives.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
RYU (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Factoid: Subaru/Toyota conveniently put a hole where the rear adjustment for rebound is, so there's ZERO permanent modification necessary to install coilvers with adjusments on top of the shock...
Do you mind showing a picture of what that looks like from the trunk?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I can vouch for this setup. I was astonished at how smooth it rode after I was told what the spring rates were.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
B L U E S L A T E

Drives: BMW E84
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
I can vouch for this setup. I was astonished at how smooth it rode after I was told what the spring rates were.

Nathan
I can totally relate to this.
B L U E S L A T E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,310 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
To clarify, the JRZ RS1 coilovers (which we helped JRZ test and created a thread for on here) are single damping adjustable monotubes.

The JRZ RS are double adjustable twintubes. JRZ RS PRO are double adjustable monotubes. Most agree that the RS1 and the RS PRO (both of their monotube offerings) are the ones to get in the JRZ line.

I've never tried a high end Tein but would be interested in giving the SRC a shot.

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 01-08-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
To clarify, the JRZ RS1 coilovers (which helped JRZ with and created a thread for on here) are single damping adjustable monotubes.

The JRZ RS are double adjustable twintubes. JRZ RS PRO are double adjustable monotubes. Most agree that the RS1 and the RS PRO (both of their monotube offerings) are the ones to get in the JRZ line.

I've never tried a high end Tein but would be interested in giving the SRC a shot.

- Andrew
Actually, for a lazy mofo like myself, who has yet to discover the added benefit of having a separate rebound and bump adjustment on the damper, I would prefer a single adjustable unit for simplicity sake. I liked Mike's description of adjusting the lower settings on the SRC seems easy enough to get to but I know me.. i'll probably find an all around setting for bump and play around with the rebound on a more frequent basis. It's just a bummer that because of the inverted shock (which is nice) rebound adjustment ends up on the bottom for the front. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Any thoughts on the dual adjustment vs. single adjustment nature here guys? Do you really find the need to adjust compression damping that often? At the track I worry enough about tire pressures/temps, damper settings, engine vitals, etc where anytime I can simplify the variables involved I end up having more fun by focusing on just driving.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Awesome review. As usual thanks for posting all the great and useful info.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
CSG Mike

Quote:
Actually, for a lazy mofo like myself, who has yet to discover the added benefit of having a separate rebound and bump adjustment on the damper, I would prefer a single adjustable unit for simplicity sake. I liked Mike's description of adjusting the lower settings on the SRC seems easy enough to get to but I know me.. i'll probably find an all around setting for bump and play around with the rebound on a more frequent basis. It's just a bummer that because of the inverted shock (which is nice) rebound adjustment ends up on the bottom for the front. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Any thoughts on the dual adjustment vs. single adjustment nature here guys? Do you really find the need to adjust compression damping that often? At the track I worry enough about tire pressures/temps, damper settings, engine vitals, etc where anytime I can simplify the variables involved I end up having more fun by focusing on just driving.
That's why you bring someone to dial in your car FOR you based on your feedback

But, in all seriousness, once you discover the settings you like, you'll probably never move away from it without making a major change to your car. The BRZ stays at 7/7, 7/7 whenever I'm driving it, except when I'm at the track, where I change it to 5/6, 5/6.
RYU (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I can attest to the ease of adjustment on these, at least in the rear. @CSG David was messing with the settings the other night while we were talking. He just reached under the rear wheel and *click* damping change. Because the rear is on the reservoir it seems really easy to get to.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubieNate For This Useful Post:
RYU (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #27
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Awesome review, I didnt know Tein had a good coilover for the racetrack for these cars.
It is alot of money but if it really does offer high end damping, without the harshness from cheap stiff coilovers i guess its worth the cost.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
CSG Mike

A few updates, after chatting with Tein USA:

Quote:
2. At a conservative 20mm drop (my preferred street ride height) will the SRCs still be within the optimal operating zone? Shock travel looks shorter than stock but these still look longer than some of the "cheap" coilovers I've seen for the BRZ. ~20mm also appears to be the recommended drop from Tada-san to maximize suspension and steering geometry on this car? <-- I could have read this last part incorrectly somewhere though.
-25mm will be the minimum drop the dampers can achieve, reason being the lower bracket has a relief cut for the external reservoir hose fitting coming from the swivel base at the bottom of the damper. Tein doesn't recommend having the relief cut sitting right against the hose fitting. Also, there is a minimum amount of thread on the lower bracket that must maintain contact with the damper shell case. Going beyond the recommended minimum may cause undue stress to the shell case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
What does this mean when it comes to warranty and servicing? We would go through Tein USA or Japan? Also, did you mention the release date?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tein USA
Warranty for all TEIN products is for 1 year against any manufacturer's defects. However, beyond the 1 year, we still stand behind our products. I like referring customers to our All About TEIN leaflet available online for reference on how we stand behind our products

http://www.tein.com/all_about_tein/06.html
RYU (01-09-2013)