follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #29
nab

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bought my FR-S a few weeks ago and I decided to give James a try. Got it opti-coated yesterday and the car looks great. He took his time, explained the processes and is just a super cool guy to hang out with for the day. Way better than giving your car to some stranger and potentially getting a nasty surprised when they finish.

Thanks NMMI89!

Last edited by nab; 11-26-2012 at 02:17 AM.
nab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nab For This Useful Post:
NMMI89 (11-28-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #30
emckee858

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I plan on getting this done before Christmas, thanks for the sunsetdetailing shoutout NMMI89
emckee858 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emckee858 For This Useful Post:
NMMI89 (11-28-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
Greg Nichols
Paint Correction Guru

Drives: F150 Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionRacer View Post
I payed for an opti guard type service through my dealership.It costed 400 and they scheduled me every 6 months for 2 years,4 total applications.

I am going on 4 months and weekly washes,its still there
Maybe I misunderstand you here: They reapply it every 6months? If they truly applied Optimums Opti guard or coat, you don't need reapplication! This stuff last for YEARS on its own.

Did I mis read or interpret you statement? Or "opti guard TYPE" service meaning they sold you something else like.........Perma plate?

If that is the case I understand. Basically they are re waxing your car every 6 months. Realize they will wash it before they rewax it with that stuff........meaning they will likely marr the finish.

Cheers,
GREG
Greg Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Nichols For This Useful Post:
911fanatic (12-06-2012), GoFast908Z (12-04-2012), Paul_S (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #32
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Most likely the Parma plate stuff. The opti guard is basically a thick coat of permanent plastic which is much better than that dealer applied stuff that washes off.

Sent from my flux capacitor using Taptalk
Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #33
JLMtm

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMI89 View Post
Just want to give a big shout out to James from sunset detailing OC. He opti-coated (not guarded) my baby yesterday. Did an outstanding job. If y'all need it done here in SoCal he is the man to call. Drove all the way down here to Chula Vista from OC!

Sunsetdetailingoc.com

Is there a way of knowing if you got the opti coating on it?
after getting my frs I was recommended to get a "paint and fabric protection" plan on it so I made an appointment to get it done
I don't remember if that's what they were talking about
It looks really good though after I wash it
Sucks having a raven though it gets dirty fast
JLMtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #34
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
If you have to get it put back on every few months then no. Also from what I have read is that opti coat and opts guard are the same thing made by the same manufacturer. One is designed for slower set time for the public to deal with installing while the other sets up faster and is for more experienced techs. I posted something here a while back with a link to a good article about it.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
911fanatic

Drives: 2003 W8 Passat Wagen 4Motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike18 View Post
may i ask how long do these optiguard last?
If the paint is prepped properly Optiguard shouldn't come off. Ever. The only way to remove it is through abrasion ( polishing ). And yes, OG can be polished at least once or twice with a FINISHING PAD AND POLISH to remove FAINT swirls. If you are just using a touchless carwash, it'll never come off.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #36
NMMI89
Master of Chaos

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMtm View Post
Is there a way of knowing if you got the opti coating on it?
After washing, the water sheets off and beads. That's been my experience. Takes me about an hour and a half to two hours to detail my car. wash, dry the hit it with detail spray.
NMMI89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #37
Greg Nichols
Paint Correction Guru

Drives: F150 Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
If you have to get it put back on every few months then no. Also from what I have read is that opti coat and opts guard are the same thing made by the same manufacturer. One is designed for slower set time for the public to deal with installing while the other sets up faster and is for more experienced techs. I posted something here a while back with a link to a good article about it.

While is might be thought they are the same thing because they do the same things is not correct. Opti guard has a higher concentration of solids in the solution.

Cheers,
GREG
Greg Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #38
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My brother and I just had our vehicles opticoated by James (both FR-S), from the recomendation of @NMMI89. I can honestly say I am 100% satisfied with his work. He drove down to my brother's house, and spent an entire day doing paint correction and opticoat.

I highly recommend James. He's a great guy, takes the time to chat with you, explains the whole process, and even sent me a list of products he recommends after the opticoat has been completed (for future washes).

My brother and I backed out of another opticoat installer in the San Diego area, after this detailer seemed to change the pricing on us at the last minute. I'm sure this other detailer does good work, but it's just bad practice to spring new fees onto a customer the day before we were scheduled to arrive.

Anyway, I'm glad this happened...because it gave us a chance to work with James. James will be getting all my future business.

I was frustrated by the lack of opticoat installers in Southern California (with good references), so I was glad the OP posted this!
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #39
L3P47

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
How much does it run?
L3P47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #40
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3P47 View Post
How much does it run?
Unfortunately, every market/city is different. I've seen some as low as $3-400, and some over $700. In SoCal, it seems to be around $500. That includes paint correction (required).

Edit: I should also mention, that the more correction is needed in the paint...the more costly it'll be. This is why it's best to get it done ASAP, before your paint gets too bad. Mine (only 2 months old) had major swirls from the dealer washing it. I specifically told them not to, but they always seem to do it anyway. Having a dark colored car like mine, doesn't help!
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #41
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
opticoat makes such a huge difference... mine was around 500 and honestly so worth it...i got the lifetime stuff though...suppose to last over 5 years or so.
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #42
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
opticoat makes such a huge difference... mine was around 500 and honestly so worth it...i got the lifetime stuff though...suppose to last over 5 years or so.
There is no time limit on opti.. It all depends on the weather you drive it in and how often it gets washed and all.
Alot of people have seen it fade away in about a year time , mines been on for 8 months and I can spot little patches that have come off , entire car will be redone when winter is over
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote