follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #463
robispec

Drives: Black frs project
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I know of a few cars with factory Torsens that recommend against it to avoid damage to the LSD... although in all reality, it should be the same.
lawyers lawyers etc lol always try to stop people from doing anything outside o just driving the car...lol

having a smaller tire diam. is just like a constant corner.. and this design SHINES in splitting the tq side to side in big corners just like this!
robispec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #464
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,415 Times in 379 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hi Guys...update on the Formula Road Systems.

We should have some six piston systems here later today! We are going to snap some pics and I'll post the info up on our site/blog later tomorrow. These systems feature a new caliper design from AP Racing.

JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #465
JRitt

Holy S*$#! Wait until you guys see the six piston kits we got in...my lord are they sweet. The calipers are gorgeous, and the discs are absolutely incredible. These things are monsters! We're working on pics and info...I'll post it up as I have it. I may actually start a new thread as well, since this one has sort of morphed into a Competition System thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (12-10-2012), Ro_Ja (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #466
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Too bad they didn't arrive last week
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #467
JRitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Too bad they didn't arrive last week
I'll take plenty of pics for you!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #468
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
Holy S*$#! Wait until you guys see the six piston kits we got in...my lord are they sweet. The calipers are gorgeous, and the discs are absolutely incredible. These things are monsters! We're working on pics and info...I'll post it up as I have it. I may actually start a new thread as well, since this one has sort of morphed into a Competition System thread.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #469
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi Guys...update on the Formula Road Systems.

We should have some six piston systems here later today! We are going to snap some pics and I'll post the info up on our site/blog later tomorrow. These systems feature a new caliper design from AP Racing.
Patiently waiting for pics and info F5 F5 F5 F5

Is this a front only kit as well, or front and rear?

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #470
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Looking forward to pics. Btw I think it's best to make a new thread. Things might get confusing
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #471
MKIV

Drives: 4 tires mounted to 4 wheels
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Will they fit under a 17" or is it 18" from here on out?
MKIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #472
JRitt

These new Formula Brake Kits are going to be front and rear. Right now, we only have the fronts. The rears are in process, and you'll be able to add them at a later date if you'd like without any issues. The rears will feature a four piston caliper, and to keep the overall system cost down, a one-piece disc. These are the kits that are fully built by AP Racing in England, and imported to North America by Essex. The fronts feature a newly designed six piston caliper, and they use a beefy 355mm (14 inch) x 32mm J Hook disc. You'll need an 18" wheel to clear these bad boys.

Below is the distinction between the Essex Competition Systems and the AP Racing Formula Kits.

The Essex Competition Systems focus purely on track performance.
They are designed to be as efficient as possible, and to lower lap times as much as possible...super low weight, small components that fit under small wheels, anodized finish, stainless pistons, anti-knockback springs, and inexpensive spares since you're constantly burning them up on the track.

AP Racing Formula Kits
These kits are designed for those interested in driving them on the street primarily, but who also want to take their car to track occasionally.
These kits will provide a huge step forward in terms of performance, but aesthetics factor in as well.

The calipers are substantially larger six piston units, and they're painted rather than anodized (we have a beautiful red or black in stock now). The calipers also have dust boots. The pads used in this system are much larger than stock, and deal with heat through their significantly larger size.

The discs are larger with more thermal mass and do a great job of filling up large wheels. Instead of being small in diameter with a very high vane count (like our Competition Systems), these discs achieve their heat absorption and dissipation via their larger size. They are 355mm (14 inch) x 32mm and have 48 vane discs. We wanted these discs to provide as many benefits on track as possible, so they are fully floating and have AP Racing's patented J Hook design, which promotes even heat flow through the disc. They do have anti-rattle spring clips on them though, so they won't make any noise on the street.

The Formula Kits also come with everything else you need for an install:
Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
AP Racing road pads
AP Racing brake fluid
All associated brackets, hardware, detailed instructions, etc.

I'll have a wheel fitment template for the front six piston setup up soon.

In summary, if you are focused on track use, the Essex Competition Systems are the ticket. They are designed with everything a track junkie could wish for in a brake system. Small, light, low running costs. These are in line with the guys who have rubber continually plastered on their car, and who view rock chips as a badge of honor rather than a problem. These systems achieve their goal of going faster through efficiency.

If you are more interested in something that works well on the street, but can also be beaten on the track once in a while, the Formula Brake Kits are the business. They have a great blend of both street and track features. They offer a huge leap forward over stock performance due to their larger components, but they also eliminate NVH, have dust boots, anti-rattle measures, and look incredible behind 18's.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit. I'll start a new thread on the Formula Systems and link it to this thread, but I wanted this info here as well so people could understand our complete offerings. More details, pics, and info to follow. I should have final pricing later today as well. We have the Six Piston Formula Kits (in red and black) and both Competition systems on the shelf and ready to ship today.:happy0180:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-11-2012), Lawnik (12-12-2012), MKIV (12-11-2012), track_warrior (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #473
CSG Mike

Quote:
In summary, if you are focused on track use, the Essex Competition Systems are the ticket. They are designed with everything a track junkie could wish for in a brake system. Small, light, low running costs. These are in line with the guys who have rubber continually plastered on their car, and who view rock chips as a badge of honor rather than a problem. These systems achieve their goal of going faster through efficiency.
I can absolutely vouch for this.

The system is so efficient that we're not even getting close to fading a pad compound that would have faded after 2 laps with the stock front brakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
track_warrior (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #474
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I can absolutely vouch for this.

The system is so efficient that we're not even getting close to fading a pad compound that would have faded after 2 laps with the stock front brakes.
X2 i can vouch for this as well!! After a 30 minute session @ Texas World Speedway i had absolutely no fade and the brake pedal feel was rock solid the whole time. As a track junkie i can really appreciate a good braking system and Essex has delivered!!
CSG Mike (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #475
MSTiFK8R

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
X2 i can vouch for this as well!! After a 30 minute session @ Texas World Speedway i had absolutely no fade and the brake pedal feel was rock solid the whole time. As a track junkie i can really appreciate a good braking system and Essex has delivered!!
glad for you! which compound you used ?
MSTiFK8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #476
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTiFK8R View Post
glad for you! which compound you used and were they Endurance ones?
I know this isn't specifically directed toward us, but we've tried both Carbotech XP10, and the C300 that comes with the system. Both had the same results (unable to fade).

We look forward to testing this more once we have stickier tires and (a lot) more power to play with