follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #155
Ben_G

Drives: Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

Also for those who are getting poor mileage (<25 mpg), not sure if it's been posted before but you're in the minority:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/scion/fr-s
Weird...the top three average mileage for BRZ owners seems to be the opposite of FR-S owners...

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/brz
Ben_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #156
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
You shouldn't be coasting in neutral downhill, that's worse for mileage. In the vast majority of new cars (I believe '05 and later) the car will detect what's going on and shut off the injectors allowing gravity and momentum to keep the engine turning over and the accessories powered. When you coast in neutral you'll need to burn fuel to keep the engine turning over and power flowing to all your accessories.

Coast in gear, your car was designed for it.

Also for those who are getting poor mileage (<25 mpg), not sure if it's been posted before but you're in the minority:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/scion/fr-s
I've been getting under 20mpg (city only). However, I took a road trip last weekend and got 33mpg there...and 37mpg coming back. I'm convinced nothing is wrong with my car now

However, I'm also convinced that everyone else is driving their cars beyond slow in the city. I don't see any way of getting 25+ in the city.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #157
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
People remember that there are several reasons why your fuel economy is worse now (or bad).

The main factor being that IT IS WINTER. that means:

- lower ambient temps = more air density and the ECU will have to add more fuel to properly correct the A/F ratio (small effect)

- WINTER BLEND GASOLINE. it's cheaper for gas stations to buy at this time of year
and generally doesn't contain as much energy as regular summer gas. in the summer there are additives put into the fuel to keep it from evaporating at high temps, which is a factor in better mileage

- the cold will decrease your tire pressure by a few PSI (temperature and pressure are directly proportional). higher psi would give you less contact patch and rolling resistance = better fuel economy, so this hurting you as well. imo, stick with the manufacturer recommended pressure for your tire (which is cold pressure reading, if I remember correctly)

- engine oil is thicker at startup so the engine has to work harder to get to operating temp. notice that your idle is higher when cold? that's the engine trying to get up to proper operating temp faster (where its most efficient and best for fuel economy). by the way, the best way to warm your car up is by driving it (normally, not like a maniac). that's better for fuel economy AND emissions

well what can you do? aside from moving to a warmer climate, you owe it to yourself to check your tire pressure at the very least. And don't leave the car idling for too long. generally your fuel consumption at idle > your fuel consumption while cruising.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #158
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
My indicated gas mileage over the first 1000 miles is 30.4 mpg. 80% city driving. I've been taking it easy for the break-in miles obviously.
At the 2000 mile point now -- my indicated gas mileage has decreased slightly to 29.6 mpg.

One difference is I'm past break-in, so I'm redlining it probably 1-2x/day now and driving it harder. Love this car!

DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #159
flippy

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm getting 33.6 MPG I have about 4500km 75% Highway 25% City Manual Trans.
I use 94 Petro Canada gasoline. I drive slower now because of winter but if the roads are nice I gun in quite a bit.
flippy is offline   Reply With Quote