follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 AM   #29
Akired86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You need to read this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=transmition

Dont let anyone tell you what to buy! This car is great in both AT and MT. Faster is just a term throwing around based on numbers, not everyone is prefect at shifting when they drive MT, while paddle shifting is very accurate and can shift way faster than any MT. Anyhow if you commute 30-60 miles a day, having an AT is probably more plausible plus it save more gas >>$5 dollars a gallon now just keep that in mind when you decide.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
IMO, no sports car should even be offered as automatics. Part of the fun of a sports car is feeling everything.

As for the limitations, remember that a torque converter will always be absorbing some power until it's locked at highway cruising speed. That means the drivetrain losses are higher so you'll need to make more power just to be as fast, even if the auto shifts faster than a person can.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #31
pozer

Drives: 13 FR - s
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to pozer
Greetings,
I purchased a 2013 FR – S few weeks back and can say I have had it out for more than a test drive like most that have posted . This is my first AT trans car since my 85 BMW 325e back in the day and my last few vehicle options were 06 Cooper S with MT6 , 09 WRX MT5, 06 Forester XT with 08 STI Mt6 swap, 2011 TDI Gold MT6, ALL wonderful cars to drive but since I’m getting old I chose the AT6 and I do not regret it at all.
I’m not a drifter so I can care less about being able to kick the rear out and shifting the weight with the clutch I would rather hit some nice twisty country roads and enjoy the drive this gives that feeling and you just can’t do that in a 400hp Forester. In manual mode there is really nothing you can’t do with this AT6 that you couldn’t do in my past (FWD MT) cars except I feel I can concentrate more on my actual driving.
And the MPG I can hit 41mpg with cruise at to 55mph. WIN!!!!
I did have a short conversation with Paul at P&L motorsports and his personal car he drives is a AT6 turbo he stated at the time he was making 408whp and had been to the drag strip multiple times running 11.8 on street tires and multiple road course days. He had said the trans just keeps going with no issues except it started to shift a bit slower when over 390 WHP. His exact words were “I beat the hell out of it!!!!!!” This defiantly made me smile.
I’m only trying to say the AT trans is a great choice if this is something you are into it has more of a video game feel though that doesn’t bother me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvy5Rkl0lkk&list=UUCA-EN8Utp90rOrOU5tXszQ&index=5&feature=plcp"]P&L Motorsports - 2013 BRZ / FR-S Stage 1 Turbo Kit - YouTube[/ame]
pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #32
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSK View Post
Is the standard gearbox faster than the auto? I was actually referring to money I'd most likely need to spend on the transmission as I plan on going with a turbo or supercharger.
the turbo kit for the AT held 300+whp without breaking anything, the MT needed a clutch replacement, youll spend less time out of boost in the AT because of the shift times plus longer gears would be beneficial since you have more tq with a turbo/sc

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #33
RedRocket

Drives: Firestorm Red FR-S
Some people should stick with auto. If you've never tracked a car or driven a manual regularly your not going to enjoy driving for a few months while you get used to it. Within a week you'll be able to drive it but eventually it becomes instinctive.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #34
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
you mention wanting to 'significantly' modding your car, so manual would be the way to go. some mods have better results w/ a manual as well as the $1000 dollars you save by buying manuel you could put towards an exhaust system or something.
Not necessarily... Depends on what he means by significant mods.

Torque Converter automatics have always been extremely strong when built. This is due to the planetary gears.

However... at the same time... a manual has less heat to worry about. If you burn the clutch, then a new one is a lot cheaper than burning out the clutch packs on an auto.

All comes down to what the use of the car is for and the drivers preference.

If it were me (assuming that I was doing significant work to it)... I'd get a manual. That's assuming significant work... However, once you hit a certain point, it's probably better to have an auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
the turbo kit for the AT held 300+whp without breaking anything, the MT needed a clutch replacement, youll spend less time out of boost in the AT because of the shift times plus longer gears would be beneficial since you have more tq with a turbo/sc
^^ This
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #35
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
IMO, no sports car should even be offered as automatics. Part of the fun of a sports car is feeling everything.

As for the limitations, remember that a torque converter will always be absorbing some power until it's locked at highway cruising speed. That means the drivetrain losses are higher so you'll need to make more power just to be as fast, even if the auto shifts faster than a person can.
Torque converters can be made to lock up a lot earlier if you want.

Also.... due to the fluid coupling... you will get torque multiplication for launching.

Not that I am advocating an AT over a MT but...

The LFA is auto. The IS-F is auto. The GTR is auto (though DCT).

Technology is driving manufacturers down towards the auto. Best example is when I had a miata for a little bit. Some people at my university were confused as to why it had 3 pedals. The manual is dying out (unfortunately).

Personally... if I had a car dedicated to track use, it would probably/most likely be a manual. I am not going to make crazy power. Nor can I afford a GTR/evo/etc. Therefore, it would be better to have a manual.

Assuming I couldn't have a dedicated track car... then the real questions are...

1) How much driving do I do each week?
2) How "lazy" am I when I drive around town?
3) What is my "track to Daily driving" ratio?
4) How much do I care about fuel economy?

These 4 questions are the ones that I look at when shopping around. (more so 1, 3, 4). While I would love to track my car every weekend, it is not possible. It all depends on how you will drive it and what you want.

Speaking theoretically... there is probably not going to many things that will not be avaialble for the automatic and the manual version.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #36
DR 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
I've driven both manual and auto in our car and yes the shifts are more consistently faster than a human yes, but certain things suck- like the auto telling you that you can not shift into 2nd, u must stay in third till your revs drop
in the manual, you just clutch and shift and if youre a bit high in the revs, oh well, maybe you chirp,rev match or slow down whilst shifting

Unless youre buying a streetcar only, if you plan to track you want the manual
racecar=manual
l
Not entirely true. The auto won't let you upshift until your speed is high enough that the revs remain above stall in the higher gear but it will let you downshift even if it puts the rpm into redline. When I first had it I wasn't used to the non-intuitive push for upshift pull for downshift, and accidentally went from 3rd to 2nd when I wanted to do 3rd to 4th and bounced off the rev limiter.
DR 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #37
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
OP, good advice from wlfpck there in post 35.... Most people on this forum will lean toward and tell you to get the MT... but it is your car and you need to drive and live with it so get what you want based on very most important criteria to you.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Insano For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #38
Xenocide117

Drives: 2008 Honda Fit Vivid Blue Pearl
The auto is great. I just feel far more in touch with a vehicle if I'm the one shifting. If I'm not doing that the only purpose of me behind the wheel is to keep it not pointed at trees.
Xenocide117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #39
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
AUTO ACCEL MAN
3.3 30MPH 2.3
4.6 40mph 3.3
6.3 50mph 4.7
8.1 60mph 6.3
10.4 70mph 8.2
13.2 80mph 10.4
16.3 90mph 13.2
21.4 100mph 16.4
27.8 110mph 21.2
35.3 120mph 26.6
16.3 1/4mile 14.9
Info is based off of car and driver Test sheets. Auto is from frs/man is from brz
Thanks for the info. I do find it somewhat funny on the very wide range of quoted times/numbers for the AT. Another magazine has the AT at 15.8 for the quarter mile.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #40
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
Thanks for the info. I do find it somewhat funny on the very wide range of quoted times/numbers for the AT. Another magazine has the AT at 15.8 for the quarter mile.
I've seen the same but i used the numbers from the same magazine because i went out to find the best numbers for both a man and auto the difference would really still be the same. Only thing i've noticed about certain car magazines is that they state the octane on the car is 91 so if they put 93 would their results be even better?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #41
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
Once you go from stick to auto, you instantly realize how many things you've taken for granted all this time. It's the same feeling when you go from a car to a motorcycle.
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #42
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The only problem with getting an auto is the risk of regretting later on you didn't get a manual. However I heard good stuff about the automatic so get the auto if you're comfortable with.

Anyway, all the great sports car comes with automatic paddle shifters nowadays, GT-R, lambos, ferraris, etc… so don't feel bad about it
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote