follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #701
Boost_Junkie

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4rp View Post
I absolutely hate the fact that my right leg is in such an awkward position because ther eisn't enough room between the steering wheel and the console to squeeze my leg between...I am a regular commuter on the highway...
More runnin' less pasta!
Boost_Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #702
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
I've said this already in this thread but it bugs me enough I feel like saying it again. This car screams to be a hatchback. I'm guessing because Toyota plans on bringing out a convertible in 2014 the present design will make the change-over easier/cheaper for them.
Agreed. A hatchback would be more functional, but also probably a bit heavier. But do want.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #703
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
I seem to remember seeing somewhere that they originally designed it as a hatchback, and then ditched the idea because it compromised the structure too much for what they wanted to do.

Look at the other small sports coupes (not "sporty coupes," Civic Si, etc) that have come out in the past 10 years, name any that have been successful that have been hatchbacks. RX-8, Miata, S2000, MR2, Genesis/Tiburon are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. All non-hatchback.
The Miata and S2000 couldn't possibly be hatchbacks as they're both convertibles. The hatchback that I most admire is the Porsche Cayman. I know there are others, Nissan Z comes to mind. I'm not up on many of the exotics such as Ferrari, Maseratti, etc. but many models in their line ups are hatchbacks.

Really though, it's not a point to be argued about. It's just that I think fondly of the Honda CRX I had. I presently keep the back seats down just as if it were a CRX and with the FR-S configuration cleaning the back glass is truly a pain in the butt compared to just popping up a rear hatch.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #704
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
has anyone had the ac shut off under normal driving?

I HATE that, im driving off from a stop and I feel hot air then engages, i shift and does it again. I need to drive without stopping for it to cool properly.

I also hate the CLEAR COAT on this, its too thin or something (finger prints stay after cleaning and wax)
Weather stripping is cracking already.
Stupid condensation on the tail lamps
Mirrors are loose (anyone?)
Dash board gets stained pretty quick, you cant put your fingers on it, or it leaves finger prints.
Dash trim (easily scratched) happened first hour of buying the car
Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #705
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
The Miata and S2000 couldn't possibly be hatchbacks as they're both convertibles. The hatchback that I most admire is the Porsche Cayman. I know there are others, Nissan Z comes to mind. I'm not up on many of the exotics such as Ferrari, Maseratti, etc. but many models in their line ups are hatchbacks.

Really though, it's not a point to be argued about. It's just that I think fondly of the Honda CRX I had. I presently keep the back seats down just as if it were a CRX and with the FR-S configuration cleaning the back glass is truly a pain in the butt compared to just popping up a rear hatch.
Like I said, it was off the top of my head, I'm sure I would have though about the 350Z if I had taken more than 2 minutes to type out that post. The Miata does have its hard-top brother, the MX-5 to compare as well.

I'd also say that the 350/370 Z is barely in competition with the FR-S, and any exotics are right out.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #706
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Like I said, it was off the top of my head, I'm sure I would have though about the 350Z if I had taken more than 2 minutes to type out that post. The Miata does have its hard-top brother, the MX-5 to compare as well.

I'd also say that the 350/370 Z is barely in competition with the FR-S, and any exotics are right out.
The Miata and MX-5 are the same car. They do make a model called the PRHT (power retractable hard top) but all Miata/MX-5's are convertibles.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #707
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I seem to remember seeing somewhere that they originally designed it as a hatchback, and then ditched the idea because it compromised the structure too much for what they wanted to do.

Look at the other small sports coupes (not "sporty coupes," Civic Si, etc) that have come out in the past 10 years, name any that have been successful that have been hatchbacks. RX-8, Miata, S2000, MR2, Genesis/Tiburon are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. All non-hatchback.
BMW Z3 M Coupe (Z4 as well, come to think of it). Interestingly, this is one of the few cars (only?) that started out as a roadster (i.e. convertible) on which a coupe was later based.

@whaap, I do agree with you; I like the styling of the 86 the way it is, but hatchbacks are very win e.g. when trying to load your track tires
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #708
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4rp View Post
I absolutely hate the fact that my right leg is in such an awkward position because ther eisn't enough room between the steering wheel and the console to squeeze my leg between...I am a regular commuter on the highway...
@Sh4rp I assme you do know you can tilt the steering wheel up and adjust the telescopic part too?
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #709
Boost_Junkie

Wow, I just got lost in this thread for about an hour....
The Following User Says Thank You to Boost_Junkie For This Useful Post:
Bluecille (10-28-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #710
ExWhyZer0

Drives: Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I hate all the haters hating on their own vehicle. Hate.

http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-con...ky-johnson.jpg
ExWhyZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ExWhyZer0 For This Useful Post:
Surok (10-27-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #711
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Junkie View Post
What I hate most...? Cry baby owners.
Not as much a people that only get tough in forums because the image they look at in the mirror is total douche bag.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #712
Boost_Junkie

LOL did I hurt your feelings? By all means write a letter to someone in corporate. For someone who is trained to adapt and overcome you sure do bitch a whole lot about trivial shit... Thank you for your service BTW.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boost_Junkie For This Useful Post:
Spartan65 (10-12-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #713
HotLavaMann
First 86 member

Drives: FRS, Tacoma, Honda CB1100
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The seat belt sometimes hits my neck rather than shoulder. Also my driver window is starting to squeek bad when it goes down when the temperature is below 60. Probably take it into dealer for the window to see if they can fix it.

Oh... one more: the stock radio has a wonderful list of features but looks like a piece of crap. Looks-wise it just doesn't fit in. Haven't bothered to get a different radio yet because it does exactly what I want and works great, but hate the looks.

Last edited by HotLavaMann; 10-13-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Added comment on stock radio.
HotLavaMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #714
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
-Bespoke doesnt work with Android. Bespoke stereo also has one set random cycle at power-on while using a USB stick, so every time I turn on my car I hear the same song over and over on short trips around town.
-The back seat is worthless, likely only there for insurance purposes, and is really just a waste.
-While I have come to like the faux-carbon fiber dash, it scratches way too easily.
-The cover on the steering wheel (the gray plastic that covers it) feels cheap and weak, and doesnt protect the immobilizer from EMI (my cell phone sitting on the dash in its car dock makes the car believe there is a key in the ignition and wont let me lock the doors). Its good for knowing I forgot my phone, but would suck if I meant to leave my phone but didnt notice the doors didnt lock.
-It is a pain in the *** to clean around that stupid 3rd light in the back window.

Make no mistake, I love my Raven FR-S more than any other vehicle I've ever owned. These are just the little things that I personally believe could make it even better.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ha ha!, hate, playerhatersball, potatopants