follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #29
450hp/tonne

Drives: 2011 Corolla Ascent Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
There are several issues to be rectified with this car, that's just one. It's unforgivable that a new car have so many mechanical/electrical/construction issues right from the get-go, really.
What have you had go wrong?
450hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450hp/tonne View Post
What have you had go wrong?
Yes it's a cutnpaste because the issues over there are also happening here ! The 1st post on this page is about a local brand spanking new BRZ with this problem and there have been numerous others experiencing same. All cars are built on the same production line and use virtually identical parts for all countries.

A quick look through the US section will outline the outpouring of frustration with regard to all the issues the car has given them thus far, some supposedly resolved with Toyota/Subaru releasing TSB's for these. TMCA have also released TSB's for this car !

IE: water in tailights, backfiring, rough idle/revs & extremely noisy HPFP are not acceptable in this day & age.

Last edited by ZZT86; 10-10-2012 at 08:57 PM.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZT86 For This Useful Post:
monkie (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #31
Cappuccino

Drives: 2012 Tornado Grey Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Looks like I have jinx myself got a rough idle today with the A/C on.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #32
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Can you tell me what toyota is doing for you guys when you bring the car in?
are they giving you a loan car free of charge till its fixed or what?
see what SCION is doing for its customers? and they are only paying 25k for their car..
we are paying 40k, so i am hoping toyota are giving you free camrys or something.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
monkie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm saying that the author has good copy & paste skills. All but one paragraph are inline with the Auto News article. Didn't even wait for quotes from Toyota or Subaru in Australia ...

No. It has not yet happened in Australia.
Each country has different regulations. Australia is definitely one market which requires government approval for software changes, which always takes more time than countries like the US, where no approval process is required.

Being the Author of the post this was pasted from the Australian site drive.com.au was done for easy benefit for everyone here if you are referring to the Author of the article on Drive's website then ok

why so much hate for providing information that may relate to your vehicle or others on here. I do not see what is so bad with trying to help other people out if that is a crime then shoot me
monkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkie For This Useful Post:
ZZT86 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #34
ZZT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surok View Post
Can you tell me what toyota is doing for you guys when you bring the car in?
are they giving you a loan car free of charge till its fixed or what?
see what SCION is doing for its customers? and they are only paying 25k for their car..
we are paying 40k, so i am hoping toyota are giving you free camrys or something.

The dealer MUST give you a loaner free of charge until your car is returned back to you. It's the least Toyota can do, if the dealer complains then threaten to contact TMCA / Tech Division. The loaner needs to be as close to the owners car as possible. It's ALL covered by TMCA warranty.

As the saying goes - "You fuck it, you fix it"
Surok (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #35
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm saying that the author has good copy & paste skills. All but one paragraph are inline with the Auto News article. Didn't even wait for quotes from Toyota or Subaru in Australia ...

No. It has not yet happened in Australia.
Each country has different regulations. Australia is definitely one market which requires government approval for software changes, which always takes more time than countries like the US, where no approval process is required.
Thank you. Every article a see is just referencing the auto news article Marc wrote. I was hoping when I sent the emails to all the publications everyone would do their own research on the issue and in turn help nag Toyota and Subaru for us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #36
Nafe

Drives: Mt Fuji Red 86 GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Why? It's there for yours/everyones benefit !

With regard to the ECU re-map I would have thought this applies worldwide regardless of region or regulation ! It's happening here aswell as in the US.

There are several issues to be rectified with this car, that's just one. It's unforgivable that a new car have so many mechanical/electrical/construction issues right from the get-go, really.
Yeah, who woudl ahve thought that a mass produced car would ever have some problems?? It is a mass produced item. Shit will go wrong.
But ym car, and many others, have not had any issues. let's not blwo thigns out of proportion
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nafe For This Useful Post:
RAN94A (10-11-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #37
ZZT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
But my car, and many others, have not had any issues. let's not blwo thigns out of proportion

Yes I know & I agree, it happens to even the best car makers. But don't get me wrong, I LUV Toyota & Subaru products & can highly recommend them to anyone. I have driven them for long enough to know what to expect, it's just that the quality control on this car surprises me a little.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #38
RAN94A
Grand PooBah

Drives: Toyota 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes I know & I agree, it happens to even the best car makers. But don't get me wrong, I LUV Toyota & Subaru products & can highly recommend them to anyone. I have driven them for long enough to know what to expect, it's just that the quality control on this car surprises me a little.
If you've ever had any involvement in QA type work you'd know that whenever you release a GEN1 product there's always an element of "Suck it and see" and very rarely will it be released with 0 issues (and if it does, that's good fortune rather than good planning.)

QA will never be foolproof as you dont output that many examples to determine bugs with vs when you go to the masses (its not cost viable.)

Furthermore... this is a 30-40K car... in effect you're buying towards the bottom of the food chain (despite the 86's current hero status) its not a 200K Merc/Audi/Beamer

And lastly... the amount of confirmed/suspected cases vs the overall scheme of things.. i would as a finger in the wind guess say is well under 5% of cars in the market.

I'm curious as to how this is a major failing on toyota/subaru... its just sensationalist journalism because of the publicity the 86 has had they know it will attract attention > Readers > advertising $$'s

RAN94A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RAN94A For This Useful Post:
monkie (10-11-2012), newft86 (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #39
monkie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
^^^^

Great post would have to agree with you there especially the last point
monkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkie For This Useful Post:
RAN94A (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #40
ZZT86

OK ! Yes journalists love a good story, even made up ones, but the stories I'm reading about are the ones submitted by owner/enthusiasts.

I hope you're 100% right pal cos this is a great car regardless, especially for the coin. My thinking is that people should be aware of what's going on, that's all.
monkie (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #41
Cappuccino

Drives: 2012 Tornado Grey Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAN94A View Post
If you've ever had any involvement in QA type work you'd know that whenever you release a GEN1 product there's always an element of "Suck it and see" and very rarely will it be released with 0 issues (and if it does, that's good fortune rather than good planning.)

QA will never be foolproof as you dont output that many examples to determine bugs with vs when you go to the masses (its not cost viable.)

Furthermore... this is a 30-40K car... in effect you're buying towards the bottom of the food chain (despite the 86's current hero status) its not a 200K Merc/Audi/Beamer

And lastly... the amount of confirmed/suspected cases vs the overall scheme of things.. i would as a finger in the wind guess say is well under 5% of cars in the market.

I'm curious as to how this is a major failing on toyota/subaru... its just sensationalist journalism because of the publicity the 86 has had they know it will attract attention > Readers > advertising $$'s

The funny thing is those high Germans generally have more issues then our 86s are currently having. I am expecting the motor to go bang but then again this is what warranty is for.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #42
450hp/tonne

Drives: 2011 Corolla Ascent Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My previous copy/paste comments were about the 'Journalist' and not referring to anyone here.

On with the rant:

When was the last car you bought a new generation 1 car that had multiple websites and forums dedicated to it and copious media reports?

Chances are this is the first.

Not long ago, there were no forum websites for enthusiasts. Heck, anyone who is buying this car is older than the World Wide Web! Times have changed. Never before did cars get this much exposure (good or bad). Reputation for reliability was previously locals sharing experiences with other locals.

Put things in perspective ... if communication was the same as it was 10 years ago, this wold not be a newsworthy story and there would be a few people affected by what would appear to be isolated incidents.

Not trying to play down problems, but most people need to take a chill pill when reading about other people's experiences. If you have a problem see a dealer about a repair. Don't expect any forum to repair your vehicle (if broken or otherwise). If you want to share your experience, keep it factual and within your knowledge base.

End rant and apologies in advance.
450hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 450hp/tonne For This Useful Post:
eleu2166 (10-11-2012), monkie (10-11-2012), newft86 (10-11-2012)