follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #29
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Love this car!

seriously considered getting one but the lack of space is a no no for me

congrats cereal!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #30
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
The OBDII adapter does its wonder and hook up with Torque on Android fine. As long as your Android device support Blue Tooth 3.0 (I think?) it is ok.

One thing for sure, before you buy the adapter check where your OBDII port is and see how the trapezoid is oriented. Some adapter can have it either way so you want the lights facing you.
Thanks.
So the 12 dollar one actually works? lmao that's good, I'm cheap and refuse to shell out the 30 bucks that the widely retailed ones ask for.

I just had the oil changed, since it's been almost 4k miles anyways, and they were like "pretty dirty eh?"... (yea I took it to a shop, 26 bucks for filter, oil, change, whatever.)

Gonna have to watch the oil consumption pretty closely, I think the engine is burning 1/2 to 1 quart per 1000 miles, depending on driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
Love this car!

seriously considered getting one but the lack of space is a no no for me

congrats cereal!
Dude, there's plenty of space what are you talking about?
If you remove the spare, there's enough space for a carryon suitcase, possibly a medium sized suitcase that needs to be checked if you're going on a plane.

The cubbies behind the seats are good for 2 duffel bags, as long as the contents are soft and there's no problem with shoving them in really hard.

And then of course, the passenger can certainly carry a suitcase or something in their lap or between their knees :P

Don't forget the toothbrush space in the dash lol! Also when the top is up, you can stuff a backpack or 2 under the rear window. No different from loading an SUV up anyways right?
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Dimman (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #31
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,179 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Thanks.
So the 12 dollar one actually works? lmao that's good, I'm cheap and refuse to shell out the 30 bucks that the widely retailed ones ask for.

I just had the oil changed, since it's been almost 4k miles anyways, and they were like "pretty dirty eh?"... (yea I took it to a shop, 26 bucks for filter, oil, change, whatever.)

Gonna have to watch the oil consumption pretty closely, I think the engine is burning 1/2 to 1 quart per 1000 miles, depending on driving conditions.

Dude, there's plenty of space what are you talking about?
If you remove the spare, there's enough space for a carryon suitcase, possibly a medium sized suitcase that needs to be checked if you're going on a plane.

The cubbies behind the seats are good for 2 duffel bags, as long as the contents are soft and there's no problem with shoving them in really hard.

And then of course, the passenger can certainly carry a suitcase or something in their lap or between their knees :P

Don't forget the toothbrush space in the dash lol! Also when the top is up, you can stuff a backpack or 2 under the rear window. No different from loading an SUV up anyways right?
Tehehe!...he said soft and shoving them in really hard... Usually that doesn't work out...if you know what I mean...

On a more serious note... I could barely do grocery runs in this car when I had my ex in the passenger seat... I refuse to make her carry stuff on her lap.

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaJo For This Useful Post:
blur (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #32
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoian View Post
Tehehe!...he said soft and shoving them in really hard... Usually that doesn't work out...if you know what I mean...

On a more serious note... I could barely do grocery runs in this car when I had my ex in the passenger seat... I refuse to make her carry stuff on her lap.
May need to gut that spare tire...the frunk is cavernous without it. I've used the tire goop successfully on bicycle tires before, but not too sure I should be trusting it for car tires...good thing is, goop doesn't require jacking the car up though you need to rotate the tires a little.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #33
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
http://www.ippnet.com/fibreglass/mul...ural-foam.html

Just found out a distributor for this stuff is just down the road from my work ( was looking for Plastidip). I may pop in this weekend for some cans of the Dip and will inquire about what you can do with this formable foam sheet and price.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #34
lexus005

Drives: mr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Would rather save that for building the next engine.
Quote:
Engine swap...yea, I wish :P

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
lexus005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #35
midenginebias

Drives: 2001 Mr2 Spyder
Congrats on the purchase fellow Spyder owner. Mod the Spyder? Save for FR-S? Hm.

Owned N/A '93 Mr2, N/A '91 Mr2, '98 Corolla, Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '07 Legacy Wagon, E90 328i well maintained and lit up on fire while driving on the freeway in traffic.
midenginebias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #36
GingerExtract
actually races

Drives: Mazda3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoian View Post
I'd personally gut them or swap it with a straight header, even though they are still intact. Some will stay intact longer than others but eventually they may slowly deteriorate and get sucked into your engine during valve overlap phases since the precats are one-piece with the header. These little matrix bits will scrape and cut up your cylinder walls...causing it to consume engine oil through the piston rings/cylinder. ALWAYS check your engine level frequently as this could potentially be an indication of this common problem for the 2000-2002 model of the MR-S.

Remember though, the cause of the breakdown of these 1ZZs is not the precats themselves, but the consumption of the engine oil from the precats cause...

Good luck.
Just quoting this. DO NOT let this go unattended. The same exact thing happened to my roommates Accord V6-6MT. His precats took a shit, the motor inhaled some of the catalytic convertor material which fried the rings and required him swapping in a new motor.

Yes, that's my car in the avatar.
GingerExtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #37
midenginebias

Drives: 2001 Mr2 Spyder
Are there recommendations for which headers to purchase?

Owned N/A '93 Mr2, N/A '91 Mr2, '98 Corolla, Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '07 Legacy Wagon, E90 328i well maintained and lit up on fire while driving on the freeway in traffic.
midenginebias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #38
RedRocket

Drives: Firestorm Red FR-S
I worked at a Toyota Dealer when these came out... was kinda disappointed to find a Corolla engine in it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote