follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #15
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Is the ECU flash solving the problem, or simply covering it up? And if it does solve the issue for some, why doesn't it for others? Why is Toyota insisting on the on the Cam Gear Replacement in some cases? What is actually killing the Cam Gear? If it's just the ECU then they would be recalling all of the cars, or at the minimum putting out a TSB to get everyone's ECU changed to the correct versions?

There's too many outcomes for me to be as optimistic as you are. Still, the point you make about this becoming a self inflicted torture of sorts, there's a truth to that.

This reinforces for me something I forgot but already knew; companies only allow us to buy or use a product but we really have no legal right to understand what's inside. CompanyX won't tell you anything about the inner-workings of their products. The system works this way so that CompanyX can protect itself against it's competitors, at the same time it also protects CompanyX from us.
I am not sure that the ECU IS the end-all fix, but it's what I'm led to believe following the various threads. I am the eternal optimist, but only because it keeps me looking forward. I've been bitten by the paranoia bug many times, (2005 WRX glass tranny, 2004 STi wheel bearings, 2006 Evo MR 4th gear, 2008 STI piston ring lands) only to have it come up fruitless every single time. Believe it or not, the STI ring lands was "fixed" by an ECU update recall. It had something to do with how the fuel cut was managed at the rev limiter... Anyways, I have read from the "Subaru BRZ forum" that the cam gear is picking up debris, causing it (or the control valve) to jam, which dorks up the valve timing, causing idle to dip too low for too long, causing the ECU to raise the little yellow flag.

I am 100% with you in that I consider more information to be better information, "we have a right to know" regardless of it's implications, but I am also doubtful we'll actually get it due to corporate NDA's and proprietary data, etc. At the very least we can continue to keep each other updated and report our experiences, hopefully to the extent of trending and even root cause. If anything, we will probably get more info from word of mouth from techs who are actually working with the repairs.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Anyways, I have read from the "Subaru BRZ forum" that the cam gear is picking up debris, causing it (or the control valve) to jam, which dorks up the valve timing, causing idle to dip too low for too long, causing the ECU to raise the little yellow flag.
The valving inside of the cam gear is very fine. that would make sense...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWZmc9Xx6mg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWZmc9Xx6mg[/ame]

In which thread did you read that?

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
Hawaiian (09-24-2012), sevenmgte (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
The valving inside of the cam gear is very fine. that would make sense...

In which thread did you read that?
BRZ Warranty info thread
(Note you will need to replace the stars with "BRZ"). Check post # 70. I don't understand why other forum names are censored... Whatever.
Anyways, it sounds like it's the same TSB everyone else has seen (that was recently pulled for revision or something), but his insider specifically mentions debris causing parts to get sticky.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
BRZ Warranty info thread
(Note you will need to replace the stars with "BRZ"). Check post # 70. I don't understand why other forum names are censored... Whatever.
Anyways, it sounds like it's the same TSB everyone else has seen (that was recently pulled for revision or something), but his insider specifically mentions debris causing parts to get sticky.
I dumped my oil almost immediately 200 miles, and still have the problem.
Its probably just a defective batch or problem with the design.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I dumped my oil almost immediately 200 miles, and still have the problem.
Its probably just a defective batch or problem with the design.
I changed my oil at 400 miles and my CEL came up at 1600.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What gets me is that I've been to two different toyota dealerships looking for an FR-S .... and every time I bring up these engine issues .... no one knows anything about it. These are large dealerships in metro Phoenix, AZ. I wonder if they know the issues, but just aren't saying.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
What gets me is that I've been to two different toyota dealerships looking for an FR-S .... and every time I bring up these engine issues .... no one knows anything about it. These are large dealerships in metro Phoenix, AZ. I wonder if they know the issues, but just aren't saying.
Let's face it, most salespeople don't know crap about the cars they sell, and they especially don't know much about service issues.

Or......they have their minds on a sale, and will bite their tongue if it means putting food on the table.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote