follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transmission issues...

I have a lot of idle issues with my FR-S and have been waiting months for a fix. Aside from the idle issues, there are other problems my FR-S AT is having:

Some mornings it just feels like the brakes are dragging. There is drag somewhere in the drivetrain, it's quite noticeable between shifts. This morning it felt like the torque converter was acting up when I was stopped in traffic. As I let my foot slowly off the gas, the drive train 'thumped' which I could feel and as I applied the brakes it thumped again. It was not smooth at all, not like it any car should be with an AT. RPM's were steady as the car 'thumped' during the slow crawl in traffic.This happened many times and was still happening when I got to my destination. The 'dragging' feeling was also happening, the engine idle dip was happening at every stop and the car just overall felt like a piece of crap to drive. The thump issue is new though, there is something definitely wrong with my FR-S and I'm getting pretty annoyed with Toyota and this car.

Other issues that I have:

Condensation in right rear taillight - the only thing that can be fixed!
Rear deck popping

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Could it be the idle issue causing the AT to act up?
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Rob_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Could it be the idle issue causing the AT to act up?
I don't know. In traffic I wasn't even touching the gas, just letting off the brake (to creep ahead) and it was thumping. I watched the idle and it stayed at 700rpm. I just got back from another drive and no thumping or dragging. The rpm dip wasn't as bad as it was this morning either, but still there (it always is). The car feels more sluggish and I don't think it's running as well as it should.. Mileage seems down too in the last month...

4400kms on the odo... I wish I had kept my 4Runner and not got this car.

Rob
Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
ToxicSneakers
Deleted

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Status of xmsn fluid?
ToxicSneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Does it feel sometimes like the brake is being applied when you back off the throttle? Do you feel like you need to give it more gas all of a sudden?
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Rob_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicSneakers View Post
Status of xmsn fluid?
I don't know. I'll get the dealer to check it I guess since I think you need to get under the car to do that.

Rob
Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Rob_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Does it feel sometimes like the brake is being applied when you back off the throttle? Do you feel like you need to give it more gas all of a sudden?
Yes, but since I have an AT I feel it between tranny shifts most of the time. After driving the car for about 5-10 minutes the issues goes away. I was thinking with the engine issues the cars have that it could be like some kind of unintentional engine braking effect.

Rob
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Rear deck is an easy fix. You can add that to your list.
Sorry you're having problems.
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_g View Post
Rear deck popping

Rob
Most of the noises coming from behind are identified.
Check this out.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (09-23-2012), CircuitJerk (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
ToxicSneakers
Deleted

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
I don't know. I'll get the dealer to check it I guess since I think you need to get under the car to do that.

Rob
Owner's manual: Determine fill level and condition of fluid. Might be insufficient volume of fluid, contamination of fluid or insufficiency of fluid properties due to operational use.

It has been reported here that vehicles have been delivered to buyers without fluid.

This is a warranty service matter best brought to the dealer immediately. Dealer might want to arrange a tow in for inspection - you could call AND email for your record.
ToxicSneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
Rob_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicSneakers View Post
Owner's manual: Determine fill level and condition of fluid. Might be insufficient volume of fluid, contamination of fluid or insufficiency of fluid properties due to operational use.

It has been reported here that vehicles have been delivered to buyers without fluid.

This is a warranty service matter best brought to the dealer immediately. Dealer might want to arrange a tow in for inspection - you could call AND email for your record.
I was at the dealership today and it was a saturday. I wanted to get the issues noted on record and the new service guy the dealership had was absolutely BRUTAL in entering the notes into the system. He kept getting the details mixed up and I just gave up after a while. I have an appointment next friday to get the taillight replaced, BUT they can't tell me when the part will be in. So in effect I could go in for my appointment and the part might not even be there. I said 'just call me when it's in' and they said their system doesn't allow that, I can only book an appointment and that's it.

The FR-S is by far the worst quality (most issues) new vehicle I have ever owned. Hopefully by the end of the coming week I won't own it anymore.

Rob
Old 09-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #12
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Quote:
I was at the dealership today and it was a saturday. I wanted to get the issues noted on record and the new service guy the dealership had was absolutely BRUTAL in entering the notes into the system. He kept getting the details mixed up and I just gave up after a while. I have an appointment next friday to get the taillight replaced, BUT they can't tell me when the part will be in. So in effect I could go in for my appointment and the part might not even be there. I said 'just call me when it's in' and they said their system doesn't allow that, I can only book an appointment and that's it.

The FR-S is by far the worst quality (most issues) new vehicle I have ever owned. Hopefully by the end of the coming week I won't own it anymore.

Rob
That's shitty business if they cant call you when the part is in. You may want to consider going to a different dealer.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Quote:
I said 'just call me when it's in' and they said their system doesn't allow that, I can only book an appointment and that's it.

Haha dear god, how hard is it for them to just phone you when the part is in stock?! Or does their BRAIN not allow that either??
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Rob_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
That's shitty business if they cant call you when the part is in. You may want to consider going to a different dealer.
Only have 1 toyota dealership in my city and they are pretty good to me. My appointment is on my day off so my salesguy will probably give me a loaner.

I have a 2012 4Runner TE lined up for a good deal, but the negative equity on the FR-S is killing me and I'm having trouble getting approved. SAME DEAL as my 2010 4Runner though, so I have no idea what the issue is. I really want out of the FR-S now. I fell down some steps 2 months ago (landing hard on my knees on concrete) and my knees have been hurting every time I get in and out of the car. I'm 45, so not a spring chicken

Rob