follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
michael317

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TPMS light

TPMS light. you have aftermarket wheel and have the light and want to get rid of it. The tpms system on the brz is not the one subaru been using, the tires need to be rotating for the ecu to sense the frequency of the sensor. This is a toyota system, just sense pressure. Assuming you are not planing to use your donut at all. you can remove all your sensors and just tape or put it inside your donut tire. ( you will need to bring the donut and sensors a tire shop have them dismount the spare so you can just throw the sensor in it. or tape it.) have the spare inflate at 50psi. put the donut back into the spare tire compartment. TPMS light will never be on with your aftermarket wheels.
*use this tip under your own discretion*
michael317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael317 View Post
...the tires need to be rotating for the ecu to sense the frequency of the sensor.
So how could throwing the sensors in the spare possibly work?
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
michael317

your spare will be inflated with the sensors inside the spare. sensor is pressurized and sense the tire is inflated within the range. spare is inside your car so the ecu pick up the sensor ids so your tpms light will not come on.
you can try this. put your aftermarket wheels on in your garage. have your stock set of tires with sensor in the garage. your tpms light will not come on. after a while of driving your light will flash and stay on but once you return to your garage and close enough for the ecu to pick up the tire sensor ids your tpms light then turn off. which is the same as throwing the sensors into your spare tire you wont be using it (if you do the sensor will rattle inside when rotating)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Willsonk

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt AT & XB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
TPMS sensors sends information to TPMS CPU. Does not need to be rotating sensors will keep sending signal. I would not put sensors into the spare. If you exceed the pressure ...... meaning over pressuring the sensors might set the warning light off. If your going to do it. Buy a small lawnmower rim and tire and put the sensors into it and set the right pressure.
Willsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
your spare will be inflated with the sensors inside the spare. sensor is pressurized and sense the tire is inflated within the range. spare is inside your car so the ecu pick up the sensor ids so your tpms light will not come on.
you can try this. put your aftermarket wheels on in your garage. have your stock set of tires with sensor in the garage. your tpms light will not come on. after a while of driving your light will flash and stay on but once you return to your garage and close enough for the ecu to pick up the tire sensor ids your tpms light then turn off. which is the same as throwing the sensors into your spare tire you wont be using it (if you do the sensor will rattle inside when rotating)
My point was that the spare isn't rotating, and as you say, the sensors need to be rotating to prevent the tpms light. Are you saying that the sensors rattling around in the spare is enough to keep the light off?

And if the sensors need to be rotating, how will having the stock set of tires sitting in the garage help?
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #6
artizhay

Drives: Scion FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to artizhay Send a message via MSN to artizhay Send a message via Yahoo to artizhay
Actually, what I gathered from his first post is that the BRZ does not use the standard Subaru system that necessitates wheel rotation. Rather, it is a Toyota system that merely measures tire pressure. So bringing up the wheel rotation issue is completely besides the point since it doesn't apply to this car. You took a phrase out of the context of his original post, ignoring the other information around it.
artizhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artizhay View Post
Actually, what I gathered from his first post is that the BRZ does not use the standard Subaru system that necessitates wheel rotation. Rather, it is a Toyota system that merely measures tire pressure. So bringing up the wheel rotation issue is completely besides the point since it doesn't apply to this car. You took a phrase out of the context of his original post, ignoring the other information around it.
They require rotation.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
TPMS light. you have aftermarket wheel and have the light and want to get rid of it. The tpms system on the brz is not the one subaru been using, the tires need to be rotating for the ecu to sense the frequency of the sensor. This is a toyota system, just sense pressure. Assuming you are not planing to use your donut at all. you can remove all your sensors and just tape or put it inside your donut tire. ( you will need to bring the donut and sensors a tire shop have them dismount the spare so you can just throw the sensor in it. or tape it.) have the spare inflate at 50psi. put the donut back into the spare tire compartment. TPMS light will never be on with your aftermarket wheels.
*use this tip under your own discretion*
Have you acutally tested this???

This would be great, but it goes against what is known about most of the latest generation of TPMS systems.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just to weigh in, after I ran this through my "bad english filter":

Putting the Tire Pressure Monitoring System sensors inside your spare tire wouldn't work. Why? Because regardless of rotation (I don't know if its required or not, if the sensors are anything like the ones I have on my tC, which didn't require rotation) the sensors measure pressure as a differential against the atmosphere. In other words, in order to read pressure, there must be different pressures on either side of the sensor. Putting the whole thing inside of a pressurized donut will still end up reading zero.

Of course, if its a self-contained system, I would be totally wrong.

Last point, I believe it is possible to shut this light off in the system, as opposed to trying to find a work-around. Ask your dealer.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
michael317

Like i said use it under your own discretion. I am saying this because i am a tech at a Lexus dealer. TMPS system on the BRZ is a toyota system. which DOES NOT require rotation. have i test it yes i have done it a few times for lexus customers with aftermarket wheels which they requested. I have also tested the with my own car where tpms light is on and if i am close enough to my stock set of wheel with the sensors the light goes off when parked. I will be doing this on my own car when i return to work next week.
ps: putting the sensors in the spare is just to fool the sensor that there are enough psi around it. if you are planning to use your spare then use willsonks advise in the previous post that will work as well
Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
artizhay

Drives: Scion FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to artizhay Send a message via MSN to artizhay Send a message via Yahoo to artizhay
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
They require rotation.
Nope.
artizhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I see a lot of people saying they don't need rotation.

Can anyone say they have actually tested this?

No offense but until someone can say they have tried it and it worked I'm doubtful.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artizhay View Post
Nope.
Source? This has been covered multiple times in the past on this board. It's the same reason that TPMS pipe bomb will not work with our cars.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Khyron686 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
jdmitr

Drives: BRZ Limited - '85 Corolla GTS coupe
I have Rays gram light 57xtreme wheels on mine and no tpms light with over 1500 miles. The sensors are still in my oem wheels. I would assume that this may be a "track" feature that when it does not see any response it may go into a type of "track mode".

BK Industries
jdmitr is offline   Reply With Quote