follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #43
Roadstercycle
FRS Rear Mount Turbo

Drives: 2013 FR-S Raven, Rear Turbo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHell View Post
The point is that you’re oversimplifying issues.

I wish things were as black or white as you make them out to be. There’s a reason it takes 3 years of legal education to become a lawyer, and years of practice to become proficient.

Here’s what the law says about damages: adequate to compensate for the infringement, but in no event less than a reasonable royalty for the use made of the invention by the infringer, together with interest and costs as fixed by the court.

I believe what you’re trying to say with the “no profit” scenario is the “lost profits” provision for patent damages. It might be hard for the patent holder to prove lost profits in this scenario but it is not impossible. The patent holder can seek lost profits under (1) future lost profits, (2) damage to reputation and goodwill, (3) business losses etc.

If the patent holder cannot claim lost profits in this particular case, he will be able to claim reasonable royalty damages from the infringer.

Then there’s the treble damages for willful infringement if it can be shown that the infringer had notice.

Lastly, US patent or not, if the patent holder has PCT coverage in the country in question, he can enforce his rights in said country.
I'm not looking to infringe on his, their, whomever patents. I would think that a reasonable license fee for an install would be something that could be done. The worse thing I see today is that you can buy a universal kit for $1995 and you have a license and sell the stuff on Ebay. If it becomes an issue I'll take it off, or become a dealer for them, buy a license, Whatever. makes them happy. It's funny that I was looking and thinking about rear turbos before I even knew STS existed. Also they do not make a kit for the FRS or BRZ so I kind of beat them to the punch.
Roadstercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roadstercycle For This Useful Post:
RevoG (03-26-2013)
Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #44
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Please post your thoughts. I know you won't have numbers, but anything would be great. BTW nice job! Unless Toyota comes out with a TRD SC, my FR-S will not see any major mods like this till the warranty is up.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #45
GreenHell

Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi, 2008 Altima
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
I'm not looking to infringe on his, their, whomever patents. I would think that a reasonable license fee for an install would be something that could be done. The worse thing I see today is that you can buy a universal kit for $1995 and you have a license and sell the stuff on Ebay. If it becomes an issue I'll take it off, or become a dealer for them, buy a license, Whatever. makes them happy. It's funny that I was looking and thinking about rear turbos before I even knew STS existed. Also they do not make a kit for the FRS or BRZ so I kind of beat them to the punch.

Unfortunately, there’s no generic answer to your situation because you do not know (1) exactly what’s patented, and (2) if your system infringes on what “they” patented.

This whole discussion about licensing and infringement is somewhat premature. If you’re really interested in pursuing your system, it might be worth spending several hundred dollars for a patent infringement analysis or a patent analysis to determine if your system falls within the claimed invention.

For all you know, your system might be infringing on someone else’s patent or merely improving what’s in the public domain.

For example,

publicDomain has A, B
firstCompany patents A, B, C
secondCompany patents A, B, C, D
thirdCompaany patents A, B, D, F
yourCompany patents A, B, G

secondCompany needs a license from firstCompany to practice A, B, C, D
thirdCompaany needs a license from secondCompany to practice A, B, D, F
yourCompany does not need a license to practice A, B, G

I highly doubt placing turbos in the rear section of a vehicle was invented less than 20 years ago! If you do not want to get expert help, dig up their granted family of patents that relates to what you’re doing and flip to the “claims” section to see EXACTLY what they have patents on but I would advise you to seek expert help so that you won’t be bamboozled into getting a license you do not need.
GreenHell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHell For This Useful Post:
Roadstercycle (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #46
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm not saying, I'm just saying....That's got STS from Utah "written" all over it.
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #47
MSIZZLE

Drives: lexus es 350
well done
MSIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSIZZLE For This Useful Post:
Roadstercycle (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #48
Roadstercycle
FRS Rear Mount Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
I'm not saying, I'm just saying....That's got STS from Utah "written" all over it.
After looking at pix on Google that's a yes and a no. There major claim is oil to and from, which is there big advertised claim. I don't use oil, I'm water cooled. Don@accelerated is remote also and using there oil to and from setup so who the heck knows. I'm not against buying a license but I'm not infringing on the oil patent even remotely just the remote mount maybe. I didn't know about STS until after so it definitely is not deliberate on my part. I just thought it up. Oh well it is what it is. I'm having fun and it works awesome.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #49
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
After looking at pix on Google that's a yes and a no. There major claim is oil to and from, which is there big advertised claim. I don't use oil, I'm water cooled. Don@accelerated is remote also and using there oil to and from setup so who the heck knows. I'm not against buying a license but I'm not infringing on the oil patent even remotely just the remote mount maybe. I didn't know about STS until after so it definitely is not deliberate on my part. I just thought it up. Oh well it is what it is. I'm having fun and it works awesome.
Can't wait to see some videos!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #50
wcbjr

Drives: 2006 Subaru LGT
How is this being fueled?
wcbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #51
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It looks terrific! If it has any of the gains you are further along than most, under hood temps are lower, an intercooler in the nose with a tune and you may have found "the golden bee bee".

I have experience with GM products and STS systems, I will never conventionally mount a turbo again.
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #52
wcbjr

Also, have you checked fuel temperature? How close is that turbine to the tank?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #53
wcbjr

Can we assume there is a wastegate somewhere back there?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #54
Roadstercycle
FRS Rear Mount Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbjr View Post
Also, have you checked fuel temperature? How close is that turbine to the tank?
The turbo is nowhere near the fuel tanks. The fuel tanks also have a heat shield and the exhaust is rapped.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #55
Roadstercycle
FRS Rear Mount Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbjr View Post
Can we assume there is a wastegate somewhere back there?
Waste gate is internal, the BOV is back there too.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #56
MattR
Running in the 90s

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thongpocket View Post
Does that sticker say have fun hurt nuns?!!?! lol
It says "Have fun, hurt none".

EDIT: Saw someone beat me to it. That'll teach me to post without reading the whole thread.