follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #57
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,157 Times in 8,347 Posts
Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 28 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Well they could cut cost by underpinning a new Supra on the next IS-F or the rumored GS-F.
You want sedan Supra? Also want the name Lexus Supra, instead of TOYOTA Supra? iirc IS-F & GS-F only pushing 417hp~450hp w and well over $60k.

What's the point of having cut cost Supra? I don't want them to make ANY Supra if they just gonna used same platform as current line up... & that include FR-S chassis.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #58
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,182 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
You want sedan Supra? Also want the name Lexus Supra, instead of TOYOTA Supra? iirc IS-F & GS-F only pushing 417hp~450hp w and well over $60k.

What's the point of having cut cost Supra? I don't want them to make ANY Supra if they just gonna used same platform as current line up... & that include FR-S chassis.
The next IS-F and 2014 GS is rumored to have a coupe version as well.

Its not uncommon for Toyota and Lexus cars to share chassis.

The MK4 Toyota Supra had a very similar chassis to the Lexus SC300.

Whats the point? A decent MSRP so it has good sales and doesn't end up being killed off like the MK4 Supra.
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #59
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
The next IS-F and 2014 GS is rumored to have a coupe version as well.

Its not uncommon for Toyota and Lexus cars to share chassis.

The MK4 Toyota Supra had a very similar chassis to the Lexus SC300.

Whats the point? A decent MSRP so it has good sales and doesn't end up being killed off like the MK4 Supra.
End up killed off? What Toyota sports car that isn't killed off? Love it or hate it, Toyota will kill off that sports car soon or later. It's sad, but that's the truth.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #60
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
End up killed off? What Toyota sports car that isn't killed off? Love it or hate it, Toyota will kill off that sports car soon or later. It's sad, but that's the truth.
Ok your totally rambling on about something else now. However, I'm glad you brought up this point. The Celica lasted for 7 generation, 4 for the Supra and 3 for the MR2. All the big names will dropped because of poor sales. Like I was trying to say before, a new flagship sports car from Toyota that may or may not wear the Supra nameplate has to perform well and be priced competitively.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #61
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Ok your totally rambling on about something else now. However, I'm glad you brought up this point. The Celica lasted for 7 generation, 4 for the Supra and 3 for the MR2. All the big names will dropped because of poor sales. Like I was trying to say before, a new flagship sports car from Toyota that may or may not wear the Supra nameplate has to perform well and be priced competitively.
Rambling? I'm just replying your statement & putting my guess on why your idea of next Supra won't happen.

New Toyota flagship sports car is LFA. LFA priced around $380k, I wouldn't say they're in "price competitive". 86? I wouldn't fully count that as "price competitive" either.

When Toyota comes to Sports car (most of the time), they don't care about the price competitive.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #62
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
Rambling? I'm just replying your statement & putting my guess on why your idea of next Supra won't happen.

New Toyota flagship sports car is LFA. LFA priced around $380k, I wouldn't say they're in "price competitive". 86? I wouldn't fully count that as "price competitive" either.

When Toyota comes to Sports car (most of the time), they don't care about the price competitive.
We were talking a new Supra/flagship sports car yes, but than you went on about them killing off everything.

Lexus flagship doesn't equal Toyota flagship, totally different market.

I think they priced the FR-S just right. As you know it doesn't have many direct competitors but its only about $800 more than a MX-5 Miata, $3k Less than a Civic Si HFP.

Just because you don't care about pricing does mean that rest of us buyers don't care either.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #63
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
We were talking a new Supra/flagship sports car yes, but than you went on about them killing off everything.

Lexus flagship doesn't equal Toyota flagship, totally different market.

I think they priced the FR-S just right. As you know it doesn't have many direct competitors but its only about $800 more than a MX-5 Miata, $3k Less than a Civic Si HFP.

Just because you don't care about pricing does mean that rest of us buyers don't care either.
killing off is your statement first, I'm just replying back what you said.

Yes, 86 is in good price with competitors... but if you look at only the numbers, it's not the greatest bang for a buck around that price.

I never stated, I don't care about pricing. I'm saying, 500hp w $60k isn't happening. No way, not even close. Current IS-F is over $60k w 415hp. Just say, they used modded 2UZ w twin turbo pushing over 500hp, put into "concept coupe" chassis from IS, it'll surely go over $85k (easy). Now, do you want to pay $85k IS coupe? For me, not really. IF I gonna spent $85k, it better be worth every penny as 86 is. 86 has all new chassis design, layout, engine, EVERYTHING... but next Supra can't? There's a problem with that picture.

Again, I'm not hating your idea... but it's not realistic
Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #64
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
killing off is your statement first, I'm just replying back what you said.

Yes, 86 is in good price with competitors... but if you look at only the numbers, it's not the greatest bang for a buck around that price.

I never stated, I don't care about pricing. I'm saying, 500hp w $60k isn't happening. No way, not even close. Current IS-F is over $60k w 415hp. Just say, they used modded 2UZ w twin turbo pushing over 500hp, put into "concept coupe" chassis from IS, it'll surely go over $85k (easy). Now, do you want to pay $85k IS coupe? For me, not really. IF I gonna spent $85k, it better be worth every penny as 86 is. 86 has all new chassis design, layout, engine, EVERYTHING... but next Supra can't? There's a problem with that picture.

Again, I'm not hating your idea... but it's not realistic
I actually said a lot more in that post but fair enough.

I think you misread what I intended to say. My 1st post, all I said was that "it would be nice."

My 2nd post about cutting cost. It was meant as Toyota would save money in general by sharing chassis. I wasn't trying to say that by sharing IS/GS chassis the new project would than = $60k price range.

And no, not the 2UR-GSE. I was talking about the next IS-F. Which is rumored to go V-6 turbo.

Off topic but..

I thought the 86/BRZ was based on a modified shorten Impreza chassis?

Last edited by vh_supra26; 08-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #65
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Ok ichitaka05, let me ask you now. Whats your idea on a new Supra/Toyota flagship? I want to hear your input.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #66
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
I thought the 86/BRZ was based on a modified shorten Impreza chassis?
Add to the off topic a bit
Beginning, it was... but they decided to go w all new chassis layout.

& add one extra off topic, I didn't know next IS-F is turbo V6. Thanks for the info

Quote:
Ok ichitaka05, let me ask you now. Whats your idea on a new Supra/Toyota flagship? I want to hear your input.
My ideal new Supra/Toyota flagship?

IMO, Supra & Toyota flagship are different.

My ideal new Supra... prob like this:
Chassis: Coupe
Engine: 3.8L V8 Twin Turbo
Power: <500hp/380tq
Trans: 7sp MT or 7sp AMT (like Zeroshift)
Wheelbase: 2700mm~2800mm
Height: 1200mm~1280mm
Width: 1840mm~1970mm
Length: 4510mm~4600mm
Curb Weight: 1460kg~1575kg
Price: Only Toyoda knows lol
Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #67
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Because there's a lot of those driving around.

Sent from...somewhere?
I see two every week, quite common here for a "rare supercar".
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #68
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
Add to the off topic a bit
Beginning, it was... but they decided to go w all new chassis layout.

& add one extra off topic, I didn't know next IS-F is turbo V6. Thanks for the info

My ideal new Supra/Toyota flagship?

IMO, Supra & Toyota flagship are different.

My ideal new Supra... prob like this:
Chassis: Coupe
Engine: 3.8L V8 Twin Turbo
Power: <500hp/380tq
Trans: 7sp MT or 7sp AMT (like Zeroshift)
Wheelbase: 2700mm~2800mm
Height: 1200mm~1280mm
Width: 1840mm~1970mm
Length: 4510mm~4600mm
Curb Weight: 1460kg~1575kg
Price: Only Toyoda knows lol
Oh ok thanks for the 411

So far its just a rumor. But here are a few articles.

Quote:
Next-Gen Lexus IS-F May Get A Twin-Turbo V6

With Lexus preparing to roll out the next generation IS, a lot of rumors have been circulating on the performance model of the car, the IS-F, particularly the kind of powertrain it’s expected to carry. The current IS-F is fitted with a 5.0-liter V8 engine that produces 416 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 371 lb/ft of torque at 5,200 rpm.

Given that the car is Lexus’ answer to models ilke the BMW M3 and the Mercedes C63, those numbers are pretty impressive, if we do say so ourselves. But Lexus, who has become adept in ratcheting up its performance line, appears to be looking in a different direction regarding the powertrain for the next-gen IS-F.

Though no confirmations have been made on the matter, Autoblog is reporting that the next-generation IS-F could follow BMW’s approach - and seemingly everyone else’s approach - with the new M3 wherein the current V8 engine will be left out in favor of a more advanced, forced-induction, twin-turbo V6 engine that could, at least in estimates, provide ample power to produce around 450 horsepower and 450 lb/ft of torque. Taking into consideration the current model’s performance capabilities, that should equate to an improvement of 34 horsepower and 79 lb/ft of torque.

Lexus didn’t give any confirmation on this matter, but the company did prop up the benefits of having a smaller displacement engine under the hood of the new IS-F. Take that for what it’s worth for now.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar133805.html

Quote:
Will the next-gen Lexus IS F have a twin-turbo V6?

The Lexus IS F, Japan's answer to the European BMW M3 and Mercedes-Benz C63, has been with us since its introduction at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show. The first-generation sedan is fitted with the naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 (2UR-GSE) from Toyota, a powerplant shared with the hybrid Lexus LS 600h. Tuned by Yamaha, the engine is rated at 416 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 371 pound-feet of torque at 5,200. Mated to a wet eight-speed automatic, the current rear-wheel drive IS is good for a 0-60 sprint in about 4.6 seconds.

But natural aspiration and big displacement is so last year. BMW has confirmed that the next-generation M3 will drop its V8 in favor of a turbocharged inline-six, and it is just a matter of time before the C63 drops its naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8 for the automaker's twin-turbo 5.5-liter. Both engines will supply gobs of enthusiast-pleasing torque down low, and much better fuel efficiency – trademarks of today's advanced forced-induction engines.

The replacement is reportedly much larger than the current IS (with a dashboard inspired by the Lexus LFA supercar), and the new sedan will need to meet or exceed the power of its Euro rivals to be competitive. That means 450 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque, assuming the rivals hold power at their current levels.

We recently asked Lexus about rumors that the next-generation IS F will follow the same path. While nobody would confirm that the range-topping successor would have a smaller turbocharged engine, the executives admitted with a sly smile that such an approach does have its advantages. They didn't need to say more.

As Lexus doesn't have an obvious turbocharged solution in its current lineup, what do you think will end up under the hood in 2014? And, now that Toyota and BMW have inked a new collaboration, what about the possibility of Lexus borrowing a BMW-sourced engine for its next-gen IS F (much like the Subaru deal for the Scion FR-S)? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/15/w...twin-turbo-v6/

Quote:
Rumormill: Next IS-F To Be Twin-Turbo Six?

There's a new rumor floating about the internet concerning Lexus' next IS F. In lieu of Toyota's recent partnership with BMW, there has been some speculation about Lexus swapping out the the their 4.6L V8 for a twin-turbo six-cylinder engine. Possibly, even using the inline six from BMW.

That's the rumor any way. Considering that BMW is ditching the V8 for a turbo six cylinder power plant for the next M3, it doesn't seem likely that they'll lend it to Lexus for the IS F.

Toyota, of course, is no stranger to the benefits of boost. It wouldn't be outside the realm of reason for them to build their own boosted six to support their sports car's prospects. Slapping two-turbos on the 2GR-FSE would be an easy way to do it. A boosted version of the 300hp power plant could easily surpass the 400hp mark. Heck, the GT-R gets to 545hp reliably with this type of setup. There's no reason Lexus couldn't do the same.

They might also just go the Mercedes route and slap two turbos on their current V8 and call it day. That would easily be the most powerful (read: AWESOME) way for them to go. Sure, it wouldn't be as powerful as the C63 AMG, or as nimble as the M3, but it would be different. Kind of a middle ground between the high-strung nature of BMW's sports cars and the tire obliterating torque of Mercedes.

Let's not forget that TMG is still in the picture too. The next-gen IS F can go a lot of different ways. Only time will tell which road Lexus decides to pursue.
http://www.clublexus.com/articles/is...-turbo-six.php
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #69
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
That will be the FRS convertible, the MIATA cost more than the FR-S already, downsizing and down pricing wouldn't be the right move. Further more the next MX-5 is rumored to weigh only 2200 lbs and come with 200 hp. this is a big challenge to the FRS

Quote:
Yeah, but it would make a nice Mazda MX-5 Miata fighter.

This is a great article and I really enjoyed it. The idea of a new Supra is amazing
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #70
Johnp

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Of course," notes Sasaki-san, "rear-engined, rear-driven cars - and even mid-ship designs - are OK. But if you want to make an enjoyable sports car, it should be front-engined, rear-drive.

Could anyone please elaborate on what he means by this?
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote