follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Smile New Member in Texas:

Hello everyone,

I visited three separate Toyota / Scion dealers here, and ended up ordering a '13 Firestorm Red FR-S, manual transmission, and w/ 3M clear bra upfront for an additional $299.

Trading-in my '11 Touring MX-5 Miata, True Red, 6 speed manual, w/ suspension pkg.

Deal is going through Pat Lobb Toyota in Mckinney, since they are giving me $21k for the MX-5... And MSRP 'true price' on the FR-S.

Needed the back seats for my two small kids and their car seats, and I didn't want to lose the handling, lightness, pureness of the MX-5... So this FR-S seems to be a good compromise.

FYI, I visited Toyota of Plano, Toyota of Richardson, Toyota of Dallas, and Toyota of Mckinney in person with my trade-in... All in one day, lol. Plano and Mckinney were even with their trade-value for my MX-5, but Mckinney had the better attitude and nicer / more professional facility... Therefore my purchase is going there. T-Richardson let me take a test-drive of one of their FR-S' which got sold soon afterwards... I'm thankful to them for that, but they weren't willing to work with my trade-in right now since the FR-S that I want to order is not here, and also they weren't giving me any hope in an allotment for the order. T-Plano salesperson / management started to get fed up with my negotiations since they originally gave me hope that they would do better on the price which they initially offered me... But refused anything lower when I came back with my trade-in.

Bought my MX-5 brand new 7-8 months ago for around $22,500 + TTL... So I guess being given $21k isn't too bad for 6k miles on the car and in flawless condition...

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 08-12-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
uptown (08-20-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do it!! Ive driven both and the BRZ-FR-S wins hands down. Much more of a drivers car, plus its got more power. Here is a quick vid of me battling out a NC miata

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzfBiRO_cbg"]Lap Battle Scion FR-S VS MX-5 Miata NC @ H2R ( Track ) - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

^ Excellent vid... Thanks for sharing... I actually think you had better / tighter lines at H2R in your showing... Plus you may have been a tad more aggressive on catching him (which is a good thing!). It's always easier on the 'chasing' vehicle to catch up since the pressure's all on the driver ahead, lol.

It's tough to depart from my NC MX-5, but I need a change for the time being... The MX-5 is definitely the best car I've owned in my life thus far (and the most affordable).

I'm definitely getting the FR-S and my order is secure... But it's hard for me to give the FR-S the clear nod until I really get to understand it. I'm confident to say in advance that both sports cars will have their own weaknesses and strengths... I'll reserve my say until I actually get the chance to experience this newly released FR-S... I'm excited and my hopes are high, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
track_warrior (07-05-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

My FR-S has officially arrived... Picked it up ASAP yesterday.

Link to my intro and pics are here ----> http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12238

Thank you!

Texas BRZ
Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Pdub86

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Funny I was actually the first to get mine through pat lobb Toyota
Pdub86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdub86 View Post
Funny I was actually the first to get mine through pat lobb Toyota
Hahahe, that is funny... I actually happened to run into a black FR-S sitting along the side parking spots next to the service center (on the day I placed my order)... My salesman told me that it was sold and was awaiting being picked up by the new owner. I'm thinking that was another black FR-S after you bought yours, since you said you were the first...

... And then when I went to pick up my FR-S shortly after it had arrived, I spotted a white FR-S awaiting another new owner... Looks like Pat Lobb's Toyota of Mckinney can easily get an allocation to anyone interested in a new FR-S.

Texas BRZ
Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Pdub86

Garage
I was talking to Vince the internet sales guy and he said the white will be the last they can sell. But yea mine we the one sitting in the show room until about June 6
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

I see... The last they can sell? Looks like I squeezed in just in time, eh?

Texas BRZ
Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Pdub86

Garage
Yea apparently from what they said only 6000 fr-s cars will be sold of the 2013 model and they got their hands on as much as they could to sell. We are actually pretty lucky to have the car. People are wanting to pay over sticker price for it
Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Whew... I sure am thankful then.

Texas BRZ
Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
uptown

Drives: Tahoe, is250, FRS ordered!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just ordered mine from Pat Lobb Friday night. Did you have any problems with them installing the front license plate? I've requested that they do not install it and the sales guy is acting like I'm asking for something unreasonable.

BTW, your car looks great. I ordered the same!
uptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown View Post
I just ordered mine from Pat Lobb Friday night. Did you have any problems with them installing the front license plate? I've requested that they do not install it and the sales guy is acting like I'm asking for something unreasonable.

BTW, your car looks great. I ordered the same!
Hi there! Thanks for your reply... I've been thinking all this time why I didn't have enough responses in this thread...

On to the topic: I did not have any problem with letting my salesman know to NOT drill the front of the car or to put the front plate on... However, do NOT get comfortable with any dealer, and make sure to follow-up with them before your FR-S arrives. I didn't do this, but just to be on the safe side since your sales guy is acting funny, I would specifically speak with the manager in charge of your sale... And let him know directly of all your exact & firm requests. You don't want any regrets.

Also, tell them to hold off on your detail (your call though), and have that done by someone you trust... I say this because they did a reasonable job of detailing my car upon its arrival... But as soon as I got home, I noticed some sort of line (or sticker delivery line) leftover on the front portion of the hood. I went back to have that corrected, but the detail gentleman left a bad swirl mark in that area. The dealer tried to correct it by buffing that area and detailing the entire car's exterior again, but I still see slight signs of it... Although I don't want to focus on it any further or else it will drive me insane, lol.

Feel free to ask me any further questions... I love to help a fellow FR-S owner in the area!

Texas BRZ
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
uptown

Drives: Tahoe, is250, FRS ordered!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your reply. On the list of delivery items they have you sign I added the following: no gas, no detail or wash, do not install front plate, do not add any dealer emblems or badges. I used to own a used dealership in McKinney at aero country airport, and worked at several franchise dealerships afterwards. The car sales industry is full of crooks and people who know nothing about cars. I love cars and could not work in an industry full of idiots and crooks. So now I'm in real estate.

Anyways, thanks for your info. I'm very excited about getting my FRS. I've owned many, many cars, but this is the first I've ordered exactly how I want it, and I'm hell bent on making sure it isn't a disappointment when I take delivery.
uptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown View Post
Thanks for your reply. On the list of delivery items they have you sign I added the following: no gas, no detail or wash, do not install front plate, do not add any dealer emblems or badges. I used to own a used dealership in McKinney at aero country airport, and worked at several franchise dealerships afterwards. The car sales industry is full of crooks and people who know nothing about cars. I love cars and could not work in an industry full of idiots and crooks. So now I'm in real estate.

Anyways, thanks for your info. I'm very excited about getting my FRS. I've owned many, many cars, but this is the first I've ordered exactly how I want it, and I'm hell bent on making sure it isn't a disappointment when I take delivery.
I hear you... Very cool to know that you have experience in the auto dealer industry, and have also owned a pre-owned dealership in Mckinney... I've always wondered what it would be like to own a small dealership, but I guess now I've got a small insight from you, haha.

Oh yes, I almost forgot about the 'no gas' claimer... Darn, I should've done that one! You have a nice list of no, no's... That's what I will do for the next time I order my car.

Oh well, Toyota of Mckinney is one of the better dealers I've encountered, so hopefully they'll take care of you the same way they did with me.

Can't wait to spot your pics... When do you think the ETA on your FR-S is? Mine arrived in about 3 weeks...

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 08-20-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Additional words posted : )