follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #57
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
^says the guy with a miata. Ironic right?
thats actually the exact opposite of ironic
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #58
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I like all of the cars Chris reviewed. But I dont know Chris lol. dont get me wrong I love the 86. I have placed an order for one. But I wouldnt compare it to either of those cars. I mean....A lot of people seem to enjoy talking down on the 370z for some reason. I just dont get it.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #59
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armythug View Post
I like all of the cars Chris reviewed. But I dont know Chris lol. dont get me wrong I love the 86. I have placed an order for one. But I wouldnt compare it to either of those cars. I mean....A lot of people seem to enjoy talking down on the 370z for some reason. I just dont get it.
I have to agree that the seating could be better (much preferred my 7th gen Celica's seating, which I'm sure is closer to the FR-S), but the car is hardly numb and unresponsive.

Actually, he mainly raved about how squirrelly the FR-S felt, whereas the more planted and surefooted (if numb, to him) Z and the grippier, more agile Cayman were somehow less engaging as a result.

I think "hooning potential" is high on his list of criteria... this is a guy who put spare tires on a big powerful saloon just to slide around, right?
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #60
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
He made a point of saying in the video that he wasn't trying to badmouth the 370Z, just saying how it's different to the GT86. You could easily come away from that video thinking the 370Z is the better car. It just comes down to what you like.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #61
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Chris Harris is a communist.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #62
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Quote:

Because the 370z is the " IROC Z " of this generation, the owners are 99% of the time about as cocky as your typical mustang owner, and act accordingly.
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _hollywood For This Useful Post:
blu_ (08-16-2012), Scion1181 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #63
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _hollywood View Post
Because the 370z is the " IROC Z " of this generation, the owners are 99% of the time about as cocky as your typical mustang owner, and act accordingly.
yeah lets all just go out and make blanket assumptions who we can only assume are out there making blanket assumptions about us.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
raz0rbladez909 (08-16-2012), Scion1181 (08-16-2012), shadoquad (08-16-2012), Spaceywilly (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #64
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Weird -- he REALLY hates the Miata...

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Mon...is-pants-ducks

This is a bit like Clarkson's swooning over the FR-S... it's not that it's not a great car... it's just odd to see some fans rave about it who you'd think would not...

Sorcery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _hollywood View Post
Oh, now, now.

I've never met a car guy who wasn't cocky about his car.

You just see variance on what specific aspects the car they tend to brag most about (e.g., handling, raw power, luxury, etc.).
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #65
quik1987

Drives: Bugatti Veyron
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The majority if not all of reviews that compare it to the 370Z have the BRZ/FR-S coming out on top.

They can't all be wrong can they?
quik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to quik1987 For This Useful Post:
Scion1181 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #66
brewksy

Drives: 2011 Subaru STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i just find it strange how someone who hates the miata and even says it isnt a sports car an it lacks power and then praises an frs because sports cars dont need power
He doesn't hate on the Miata just because it lacks power, he finds it slow, imprecise, unsatisfying, and as having a terrible driving position.

Obviously everyone has an opinion, just because someone likes a small, lightweight coupe doesn't mean they have to like every small, lightweight coupe. He often talks about the driving and wheel position of the cars he tests so he obviously puts a lot of emphasis on traits that you or I may not agree on. Doesn't mean he's prejudiced in any bad way (other than forming an opinion and keeping it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris
I’ve always found the ‘ickle Mazda slow, imprecise and unsatisfying. Of course the principle behind the MX-5 is fantastic: affordable open-air fun in a cute little RWD package, but the reality on sticky modern rubber has never even approached delivering on that promise. And the driving position is terrible.
brewksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #67
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Great review! I wish I had the chance to cross shop the 350Z/370Z. Though I did test drive a used 2008 in nearly mint shape and only 18K miles Infinity G37 which has the same engine. That thing had some pull!
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 AM   #68
3essess

Drives: frs
One of the greatest video reviews of all time...
3essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #69
alex86

Drives: Argento
if i have the monnies. i'll go for porsche period.
alex86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #70
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
I have found this to be incredibly inconsistent across dealerships.

And even across different dealer lots within the same brand.

A Subaru dealer recently told me he would have to run a credit check to let me test drive a base WRX. I said, "When I show up in my 370z that I bought new, will you still subject me to the credit check?" He held firm.

Conversely, I test drove a used Corvette Z06 last weekend. I was greeted by the sales manager, who informed me that the salesmen I had spoken to on the phone was engaged with other customers. He handed me the keys and encouraged me to sit in it while I wait. As it dragged on and took longer, he came back, took my license, and said, "Why don't you take it for a drive? He'll probably be free when you get back." And just like that I got a free test run with no salesman in a 505-hp sports car.

Again, no rhyme or reason as far as I can tell, it just seems to be differing policies at different dealerships.
Agreed, I went to an Acura dealership and they treated me like a hostile creature when I wanted to test drive one of their stick shift TSX. I told them to come see my current car (also stick) and that I can drive around fine in a stick shift and they said "No, we will only let you test drive the automatic version" and I countered with "What if the clutch is not something I like?" (I've had odd encounters with Honda clutches - 2002 Accord V6 for example and the 2002 TSX) and they countered with "Well then the manual is not for you".

The test drive was still highly 'hostile' and they did not allow me to do anything remotely that would push the car (even the acceleration onto the highway merge which was empty for most part).

On the other hand, the Lexus dealer I went to initially took my liscence for insurance sake (I explicitly put a sticker on it saying - "Not for credit check" and they smiled about it and said they did no such thing as it is technically illegal to do so without my consent). The salesman then took me for a rather long drive (in an IS300 at the time) and purposely through the highway and some nice lower speed twisties and after 20-30 minutes, we went back and he said "Well, how about you take out for as long as you'd like and come back when you either love or hate the car? I'm going to go back in and catch up on some paperwork while I wait for you. It is a not a small purchase and I would hate for you to judge it based on 30 minutes with me next to you gushing about it - but please don't get any speeding tickets or any accidents." My jaw dropped - never has anyone let me do that EVER.

I was practically sold on that one.

Nonetheless, it'll be interesting to see what happens when I cross shop - will definitely post my experience here.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
shadoquad (08-16-2012)

Tags
chris harris 86, chris harris fr-s, chris harris fr-s 370z, chris harris fr-s review, chris harris frs, chris harris frs review, chris harris gt86, chris harris gt86 review, fr-s cayman review, fr-s cayman s comparison, frs cayman review, frs cayman s comparison, frs cayman s review