follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #15
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd be happy if it could go 0-60 in under 6.5 seconds. If it got 30mpg too, with great handling, I'm sold.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
I'd be happy if it could go 0-60 in under 6.5 seconds. If it got 30mpg too, with great handling, I'm sold.
X2
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #17
prighello

Drives: Mazda RX-8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd be stoked if the car ran a mid 14...I know its not a drag car but that's about as fast as the two most balanced affordable sports cars that have been available for sale in recently memory...e.g. S2K and RX-8. Any faster than that and I feel it's hard to enjoy on the street legally...cough 350Z/370Z cough. Slower and well there's the MX-5 for that.
prighello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
TheBigBadBanana
Insert clever title here.

Drives: 00 Celica GT-S/92 Supra Turbo
Mid 14s is probably a pretty good guess as far as straight line acceleration is concerned. I doubt it'll break into the 13s, and they probably wouldn't want to make it slower than the 7th gen Celica GT-S (high 14s low 15s). But hey, as long as it has enough grunt blasting out of turns to make me grin, I'll be happy.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
aliphian
Dreamer

Drives: Nutless Grocery Getter
With the new weight figures, if the FT gets 200hp, it will be right on par with the S2000 for power to weight ratio. I guess that dispels the "High School Girls Car" idea. If it had 240hp, the power to weight ratio would actually be slightly better than the 320HP Supra TT! Good luck with that coming from the factory.

In order to achieve the same power to weight as the 2011 Mustang GT V8, this car would need right at 290hp.

I think it's safe to say that this car will be a MONSTER if it's boosted at all.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
aliphian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #20
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
With the new weight figures, if the FT gets 200hp, it will be right on par with the S2000 for power to weight ratio. I guess that dispels the "High School Girls Car" idea. If it had 240hp, the power to weight ratio would actually be slightly better than the 320HP Supra TT! Good luck with that coming from the factory.

In order to achieve the same power to weight as the 2011 Mustang GT V8, this car would need right at 290hp.

I think it's safe to say that this car will be a MONSTER if it's boosted at all.
Is that because you watched that "Jeans" video on youtube? lol And I never really thought of the s2k being a HS girls' car. O_O

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #21
aliphian
Dreamer

Drives: Nutless Grocery Getter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Is that because you watched that "Jeans" video on youtube? lol And I never really thought of the s2k being a HS girls' car. O_O
No I was referencing Desertspool saying "Under 240hp = high school girls car".

He is insane... LOL

I think the S2K is THE (pronounced Thee) driver's car.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
aliphian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #22
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
I refuse to get my hopes up.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #23
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
I refuse to get my hopes up.
Yeah I think I agree with you on this. No sense in dreaming big as it seems that is very doubtful.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #24
Kiteless
Hot Lava

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1990 Miata 5MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Toyota/Scion talks about how it’s light, manageable and balanced, with good “MPG’s”. I am guessing the specs of this NA Engine care are going to be fairly modest. Toyota says that it gets its “DNA” from the AE-86. A car that was not overly powerful and fairly light for its day. At the same time Toyota knows how to get power out of a small engine. Look at the ZZT231 in the 2000 Celica. They managed 190hp out of a 1.8L NA engine. The Celica was also a fairly light car, weighing only a little more than my Yaris. The Celica also had a 2+2 seating configuration I believe. Using the Celica as a template for my guess, factoring in the extra weight for modern safely, a larger engine, gas tank, drive shaft, LSD. I am guessing a weight of around 2800lbs (hopefully less) and a less aggressive (compared to the Celica’s 1.8L) 190 hp. But I think they could easily get 210hp out of it if they wanted to. Even at 180hp with some nice gearing on the manual (I don’t know much about automatics) I think this car would still be a RIOT to drive, and it looks good too. I am hoping for some nice firm sporty suspension too. They are also trying to hit a price point. Power and light weight materials cost money. If they are going to hit an attractive price point (hopefully $23K or less) they are going to have to make compromises, but has to cost more than the tC.
Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #25
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
I think it's fair to guess that the engine will be between 170-230hp. They are likely to go small and leave a bit on the table (Lexus D4-S engines leave a LOT on the table for intake/exhaust mods), but I hope they will at least to try go over 200hp.

I'm not worried about the power though, or the drive really, because I think that is one of their focus areas, and Toyota can pretty much engineer whatever they put their will to. More than anything else though, because of Toyoda's fascination with the Scirocco

Quote:
One car that set Toyoda's heart revving was the latest Volkswagen Scirocco.

"I'm jealous!" he blogged in July after test driving one. Besides having "cool styling," Toyoda wrote, "It runs incredibly well, to the extent I can't believe it is a 2000cc engine."

Toyoda's conclusion: "Morizo cannot afford to lose. I will tackle the challenge of creating a car with even more splendid flavor than the Scirocco."
The weight is what bothers me. A p/w in the 12.x lb range IMO is ideal, with the car hopefully not going over 2650lbs. If it is really 24xx-25xxlbs I'll be ecstatic, but like I said, I will no longer hazard a solid guess and say "It will do * "... The latest design was a pleasant surprise, I'd rather the specs and the drive be ones as well.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #26
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
I think toyota might underrate this car in terms of 0-60 and hp. Same way they underrated the supra. In japan it was an agreement, but here they might go after "feel" rather than specs, and to lower insurance. So I'm expecting a ~6.2s 0-60, 200hp, but official specs would be 7s and 180hp.
Yeah, this sounds about right.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #27
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteless View Post
Toyota/Scion talks about how it’s light, manageable and balanced, with good “MPG’s”. I am guessing the specs of this NA Engine care are going to be fairly modest. Toyota says that it gets its “DNA” from the AE-86. A car that was not overly powerful and fairly light for its day. At the same time Toyota knows how to get power out of a small engine. Look at the ZZT231 in the 2000 Celica. They managed 190hp out of a 1.8L NA engine. The Celica was also a fairly light car, weighing only a little more than my Yaris. The Celica also had a 2+2 seating configuration I believe. Using the Celica as a template for my guess, factoring in the extra weight for modern safely, a larger engine, gas tank, drive shaft, LSD. I am guessing a weight of around 2800lbs (hopefully less) and a less aggressive (compared to the Celica’s 1.8L) 190 hp. But I think they could easily get 210hp out of it if they wanted to. Even at 180hp with some nice gearing on the manual (I don’t know much about automatics) I think this car would still be a RIOT to drive, and it looks good too. I am hoping for some nice firm sporty suspension too. They are also trying to hit a price point. Power and light weight materials cost money. If they are going to hit an attractive price point (hopefully $23K or less) they are going to have to make compromises, but has to cost more than the tC.
It pretty much had the MOST ADVANCED motor in a Toyota production car at the time. It may sound pedestrian these days to say "16V DOHC, electronic fuel injection" but in 1983: ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!!

I know next to nothing of that era, and have no 'top of my head' knowledge to compare with but I would bet that in 1983, 112bhp (net not the old 'gross' hp ratings from the '60s) out of a 1.6L motor was ASTRONOMICAL.

Toyota should take that '86' historical reference seriously, and also give us some of their most advanced current tech in the heads, even if it is attached to a Subaru block.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #28
f1ver
Banned

Drives: lexus gs300
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
oh, it is. def.
f1ver is offline   Reply With Quote