follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2026, 10:26 AM   #309
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Doors done! I left out the door speakers for the weight savings (they didn't work anyways since I also pulled the rear amplifier)
Sound deadening the doors really does a lot for the overall premium feel, I can't really describe it.

Door panels all back on, I love the updated look so much! Better pics coming sometime.
I found this odd piece of cardboard stuffed under the door wiring... Must've been a Friday build.

Take note of my strategy for killing the stupid window switch and mirror adjustment rattle! Gorilla tape all the way
Attached Images
      
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2026, 10:17 PM   #310
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tires on the car! Took it out for a shakedown and WOW the grip feels endless.
The Kilmat has made a huge difference overall in the amount of cabin noise. The exhaust is so much quieter now and road noise is dulled a good bit.
I've definitely added more weight than taken away by removing the seat... But oh well, such is life!

Also recorded a little pull. Only about 21 psi so 400-430whp maybe?

Attached Images
      
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2026, 07:55 AM   #311
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,421
Thanks: 1,907
Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
You need a 3.7 diff now to put some space between those shifts!
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2026, 10:41 AM   #312
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
You need a 3.7 diff now to put some space between those shifts!
I have it! Just need to put the OS Giken in there though I've been thinking about stuffing it in anyways before the OS Giken goes in just to feel the gearing change at this power level, it really needs it
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2026, 07:15 PM   #313
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Started to peel apart the m85 today. Wow the bushings really are a handful...my friend decided he wanted to do them for me and holy shit, it's hardcore.
Axle stubs were stubborn on this diff, we needed pry bar and slide hammer! Came out eventually.
The goober shipped this thing full of fluid but I was dumb for not cracking the drain port as a check first.
Attached Images
    
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2026, 11:37 AM   #314
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Tires on the car! Took it out for a shakedown and WOW the grip feels endless.
The Kilmat has made a huge difference overall in the amount of cabin noise. The exhaust is so much quieter now and road noise is dulled a good bit.
I've definitely added more weight than taken away by removing the seat... But oh well, such is life!

Also recorded a little pull. Only about 21 psi so 400-430whp maybe?

Those Kansei wheels look so F good. Too bad they are not bronze haha.

If you want to update your seat, and feel like taking a drive to CT, we can work something out for my 2018 seat.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2026, 02:23 PM   #315
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Those Kansei wheels look so F good. Too bad they are not bronze haha.

If you want to update your seat, and feel like taking a drive to CT, we can work something out for my 2018 seat.
I have played around with the idea of the new gen seat, they aren't too expensive on eBay but getting one that doesn't have the airbag deployed is a little tough.
I am headed to Fairfield CT from the 26th to the 30th but I'll have the dog in the car (and wife, arguably the largest obstacle to car parts). I'll have the Forester though so.. hmm. I'll PM you
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2026, 05:58 PM   #316
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I have played around with the idea of the new gen seat, they aren't too expensive on eBay but getting one that doesn't have the airbag deployed is a little tough.
I am headed to Fairfield CT from the 26th to the 30th but I'll have the dog in the car (and wife, arguably the largest obstacle to car parts). I'll have the Forester though so.. hmm. I'll PM you
I just texted you. Depending from which side of CT you're entering, Im in Mystic.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2026, 05:25 PM   #317
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,421
Thanks: 1,907
Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Started to peel apart the m85 today. Wow the bushings really are a handful...my friend decided he wanted to do them for me and holy shit, it's hardcore.
Axle stubs were stubborn on this diff, we needed pry bar and slide hammer! Came out eventually.
The goober shipped this thing full of fluid but I was dumb for not cracking the drain port as a check first.
I was considering doing these with the STI rear bushings, then saw the PITA it is to swap + cost of the bushings. Guess we pay extra for the fluid? Lol
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2026, 08:10 AM   #318
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I was considering doing these with the STI rear bushings, then saw the PITA it is to swap + cost of the bushings. Guess we pay extra for the fluid? Lol
Yeah and what was more interesting is that the fluid was pretty clean... I'm doing sikky solid bushings for these fronts and superpro for the back. I don't think the front ears will add much nvh and I got them used so I'll try it. At least the solid bushings will come out nicely if I want to remove it for a standard bushing. Hopefully finishing this today
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2026, 12:43 PM   #319
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,421
Thanks: 1,907
Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Yeah and what was more interesting is that the fluid was pretty clean... I'm doing sikky solid bushings for these fronts and superpro for the back. I don't think the front ears will add much nvh and I got them used so I'll try it. At least the solid bushings will come out nicely if I want to remove it for a standard bushing. Hopefully finishing this today
Curious what you find with solid.
I found the front bushing inserts made a pretty big difference to NVH. I've played with both upper/lower inserts in vs removing just upper or just lower.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2026, 04:30 PM   #320
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Curious what you find with solid.
I found the front bushing inserts made a pretty big difference to NVH. I've played with both upper/lower inserts in vs removing just upper or just lower.
Ahh really? Well I guess I'll see... maybe I'll bitch out and get superpro for the front too hahaha. I was assuming that since most of the weight of being hung by the rear subframe bushings, they'd have a lot more impact on the noise but it makes sense that the whole thing has a lot of capacity for increasing NVH.

I'll defo let you know, thank you for the heads up
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2026, 07:07 PM   #321
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Doing an autocross tomorrow - I started bugging the car for the first time in many many years... didn't get finished, need deeper cutting pads. I also think I'm going to remove the PPF from the hood, front bumper, and fenders... It's so gouged and has a lot of marring I can't really remove.

Installed new headlights, waited way too long to do this. Super easy, love the look.
Attached Images
        
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2026, 12:33 PM   #322
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
First autocross went excellent!!! Got 15 runs in, most of them only a few minutes between.
Even beating on the car, redlining first and keeping the pedal down quite a lot, oil temps stayed between 215-230f. Coolant temps hovered between 195-205. No hiccups really except I blew out an exhaust gasket on the catback.

Car handled incredibly!!! Did not hit a single cone or go off course so I still had plenty left on the table, but I wanted to feel the car out, not be a competitor. I placed 13th overall. Extremely impressed with the rt660+ over the rt615k.
Course was too tight to even think about leaving 2nd gear. I'm definitely going to add more jam to first and second once the 3.73 and osgiken are in. Currently, 1st and second gear are wastegate pressure, so around 16-17psi. Maybe bring first up to 20 and let second gear have it all? That'd really wake the car up!!!
Dashcam didn't have audio... I'm so sad you can see at about 39 seconds, I have it pinned in second but the turbo just couldn't get it up until I was already about to turn

__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
brz, frs, iag, jdl, turbo


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joel's BRZ - Low Budget Time Attack Build DIY Member's Car Journals 403 11-19-2024 07:39 PM
Cxracing turbo problem Kalebhall Forced Induction 10 11-16-2017 07:57 AM
Tony's Budget Turbo Build glorydays Member's Car Journals 22 01-25-2015 11:02 PM
My boosted build...on a budget PineappleFriedRice Member's Car Journals 95 08-17-2014 09:29 PM
Aznsky's budget STX build Aznsky Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 13 05-12-2014 08:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.