|
|
#11971 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,095
Thanks: 683
Thanked 1,348 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
|
Welp, thankfully we have a landing pad. I was laid off Jan 5th, the wife February 4th. And we are still getting nothing. My mom no longer lives in her house in the Tulsa area, so I asked if we could move in and use the proceeds from selling our house to pay the mortgage and the bills for a few years while we continue to try to find work.
When I asked what the mortgage payment was there, my mom's husband told us not to worry about it and just focus on the next move. It's a cute nice little house, but it's only a 1 car garage which I really don't like, and it's MUCH smaller than our current place 1100 sq ft vs 1815 sq ft. A lot of our stuff is going to have to go into storage since all of her furniture is still there. Bummer since we basically have our house setup exactly how we want it, but we are trying to avoid bankruptcy as well.
__________________
"95% of the time, more throttle is the answer. 5% of the time, it ends the suspense."
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11972 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Location: Quinte West Ontario
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 1,717
Thanked 3,049 Times in 1,211 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
|
Sorry to hear this but it’s happening everywhere. I was terminated without cause April 6, 2017. I had less than two years before retirement and 3 months short of 35 years with the company where I had held management positions for most of that time. NOBODY wants to hire a 63 year old except places like Walmart which would cost me more money to work there than I’d earn.
We were OK because I took a large part of my retirement fund and paid off our mortgage. I received the max amount allowed from E.I. (Ontario’ Employment Insurance) which we pay into while we’re working. I sued the company for wrongful dismissal and age discrimination and after a year they settled out of court. I received about what I would have earned if they’d kept me on until I retired. I had to pay back the E.I. which they then recalculated and re paid me based on my new imcome level. The Company really lost BIG because they paid for their legal group as well as a specialist in termination, my legal expenses plus all court costs and fees. What a bunch of “A” holes! Then the wife had a series of heart attacks in December of 2023 and she hasn’t worked since. She received a small amount from the government for sick leave. She didn’t want to put herself through the anguish of a court case with her “X” employer who had quietly fired her while she was off. We’re are still living in our dream home (2,000+ sq. ft. finished on two floors) that needs thousands of dollars in repairs and upgrades and what little retirement money I have will be gone in 3-4 years. We’ll be looking to downsize too. BUT, I keep buying lotto tickets ‘cause, someone has to win sometime! Keep your chin up enjoy the journey bumps and all. Good luck with the move.
__________________
Living life on the edge, less crowded, better view!
2018 tS Still in the family. |
|
|
|
|
|
#11973 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2013 frs red
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,596
Thanks: 2,617
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,704 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
|
Just a former aerospace machinist now car mechanic here but a guy told me yrs ago to save my money and protect my reputation regardless of where I worked. At 61 and still physically fit I've found shops to be skeptical of my abilities and perceived motivation. I think things will normalize in the future once the Ai bullshit finds its proper place.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11974 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Location: Quinte West Ontario
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 1,717
Thanked 3,049 Times in 1,211 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
|
Quote:
One thing AI will never be able to do is change spark plugs, fixed a clogged sink or wire in new lights. For that you will need a person. At least for the foreseeable future.
__________________
Living life on the edge, less crowded, better view!
2018 tS Still in the family. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11975 |
|
Famous Potatoes
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
|
Happily retired for 7 years. That's all I got.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11977 | |
|
Famous Potatoes
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
|
Quote:
That sucks. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11978 | |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
Quote:
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11979 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
|
According to his stats, his last post was in January but he (or someone with his logon) was last on 4/30/36. Unfortunately, I don't have any offlist contact for him.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.
Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark. What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk". Last edited by Dadhawk; 06-02-2026 at 02:47 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#11980 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2013 frs red
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,596
Thanks: 2,617
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,704 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11981 |
|
Site Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: ichi 86 Project
Location: Middle of No where
Posts: 21,084
Thanks: 7,758
Thanked 19,315 Times in 8,410 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
|
Am I the only one having an issue loading the forum with Apple Safari web browser?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11982 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Location: Quinte West Ontario
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 1,717
Thanked 3,049 Times in 1,211 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
|
I don't know as I use Firefox on an ancient Windblow$ 7 systems.
__________________
Living life on the edge, less crowded, better view!
2018 tS Still in the family. |
|
|
|
|
|
#11983 |
|
Famous Potatoes
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11984 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 8,481
Thanks: 22,744
Thanked 9,441 Times in 4,849 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
|
Tapatalk is actually working though so don't change anything
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk |
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Random Thoughts - Part Deux [NO POLITICS] | Ultramaroon | Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] | 84004 | 03-07-2022 11:00 AM |
| OEM BRZ spark plug part number? | qqzj | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 3 | 05-26-2017 11:33 PM |
| Random thoughts thread | MrVito | Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] | 37188 | 02-25-2016 10:00 AM |
| Random search on bing | sdwagonjp | Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] | 11 | 11-19-2014 07:35 PM |