follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2026, 02:36 PM   #785
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)




More at https://images.nasa.gov
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2026, 10:14 PM   #786
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 9,697
Thanks: 26,779
Thanked 12,750 Times in 6,320 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Looks flat to me!

Edit: The craziest thing about this picture to me is that they didn't fly "to" the moon. They flew (fell?) to a point in space at just the right timing for this incredibly massive boulder to pass underneath them as they fall back to Earth. I'm an engineer, I know the math works, but it's still kind of insane to think that rock on the left is going to be where you are now in a few minutes.
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, a model is worth ten thousand pictures.
Also: "Build Thread"

Last edited by Spuds; 04-08-2026 at 10:25 PM.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2026, 01:55 PM   #787
Stephen W.
Senior Member
 
Stephen W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Location: Quinte West Ontario
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 1,717
Thanked 3,049 Times in 1,211 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Looks flat to me!

Edit: The craziest thing about this picture to me is that they didn't fly "to" the moon. They flew (fell?) to a point in space at just the right timing for this incredibly massive boulder to pass underneath them as they fall back to Earth. I'm an engineer, I know the math works, but it's still kind of insane to think that rock on the left is going to be where you are now in a few minutes.
I wouldn’t say “insane” but rather, “bloody marvelous!”
Same goes for a sniper who can hit a moving target from a mile and a half away. I know it’s been done in the past, I know it will be done again in the future but it still blows my mind.
__________________
Living life on the edge, less crowded, better view!
2018 tS Still in the family.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2026, 02:39 PM   #788
alex87f
Meow
 
alex87f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: Focus ST mk4
Location: France
Posts: 553
Thanks: 333
Thanked 470 Times in 247 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Looks flat to me!

Edit: The craziest thing about this picture to me is that they didn't fly "to" the moon. They flew (fell?) to a point in space at just the right timing for this incredibly massive boulder to pass underneath them as they fall back to Earth. I'm an engineer, I know the math works, but it's still kind of insane to think that rock on the left is going to be where you are now in a few minutes.
The math is impressive. Trusting it with the life of several people is... something else.

I'm a sucker for space opera type fiction, for me these missions hit a particular spot
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2026, 08:23 PM   #789
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I know the math works, but it's still kind of insane to think that rock on the left is going to be where you are now in a few minutes.
Yea, I get that. I'm a private pilot and I understand how an airplane flies (Newton's 3rd law and all), but I don't understand why.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2026, 05:19 AM   #790
Lantanafrs2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2013 frs red
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,596
Thanks: 2,617
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,704 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yea, I get that. I'm a private pilot and I understand how an airplane flies (Newton's 3rd law and all), but I don't understand why.
Better to enjoy than understand
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2026, 01:49 PM   #791
blsfrs
Senior Member
 
blsfrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
I wouldn’t say “insane” but rather, “bloody marvelous!”
Same goes for a sniper who can hit a moving target from a mile and a half away. I know it’s been done in the past, I know it will be done again in the future but it still blows my mind.
I like your sniper analogy. Except, the sniper is firing from a moving platform while aiming at that moving target. At least "he" doesn't have to worry about wind direction.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2026, 06:28 PM   #792
Unplugem
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Drives: Cayman R 6MT
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 98
Thanks: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yea, I get that. I'm a private pilot and I understand how an airplane flies (Newton's 3rd law and all), but I don't understand why.
Unplugem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2026, 06:36 PM   #793
Unplugem
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Drives: Cayman R 6MT
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 98
Thanks: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
I like your sniper analogy. Except, the sniper is firing from a moving platform while aiming at that moving target. At least "he" doesn't have to worry about wind direction.
Unplugem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2026, 11:02 PM   #794
Unplugem
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Drives: Cayman R 6MT
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 98
Thanks: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Unplugem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2026, 09:55 AM   #795
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugem View Post
Billion Dollar Loop video...
Catchy in a Weird Al sorta way.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2026, 08:52 PM   #796
Unplugem
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Drives: Cayman R 6MT
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 98
Thanks: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Catchy in a Weird Al sorta way.
Unplugem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2026, 10:27 AM   #797
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Holy Rocket Failure Batman!



I have a good friend who went to Texas for the StarShip launch last week. We both agreed that given the choice we would rather have been there for Blue Origin's fireball than the launch.

Thankfully no one was hurt but can't say so much for the launch pad which had a couple of towers destroyed. Estimates are this was a 1 Kiloton explosion. To compare the Hiroshima bomb was 15 Kilotons.

Oh, and the rocket was not fully fueled.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2026, 10:30 AM   #798
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugem View Post
..Round and Nerdy video..
Sorry, totally fake and obviously a conspiracy. I mean, I'm not the only one that saw the strings on the aliens, right? So many video anomalies, complete AI generated.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Space Saver will fit? Andrew666 AUSTRALIA 25 06-18-2020 09:07 AM
Cockpit Space Chad86 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 7 03-15-2014 03:24 PM
First run 86's (Space Saver question) DriftEightSix AUSTRALIA 11 01-10-2013 07:25 AM
FR-S space saver sierra Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 2 11-29-2012 12:18 AM
Trunk space? tranzformer Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 34 04-13-2011 12:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.