follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2025, 07:50 AM   #351
autoracer86
Senior Member
 
autoracer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Ireland
Posts: 703
Thanks: 648
Thanked 519 Times in 323 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Edwards View Post
Anyone know where I can get a pair of the MCA brackets?
2 left in stock hurry
https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/...QZgVG8wSLFhlaP
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2025, 09:46 AM   #352
rande
Member
 
rande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Drives: Spyder, MR2, FRS, Tundra
Location: KC
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
From an email I received advertising Fensports Easter sale.

Fensport Easter sale from 6pm on Thursday 17th to midnight Monday 21st 🎉🥳

Use discount code EASTER for up to 10% off most products.
rande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2025, 05:18 PM   #353
Tatsu333
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Location: Canada
Posts: 446
Thanks: 530
Thanked 355 Times in 193 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
A quick note on durability of the MCA Traction Mod. I just noticed when under the car installing other stuff that they have rusted badly in the 3-1/2 years (but only 14,000 kms or so) since I've had them on. The surface layer with the powder coat is basically floating above the rest of it. I didn't take any pictures, but was pretty disappointed to see that...

Bear in mind, though, where we live it's wet about 2/3 of the year, but my car doesn't get driven in snow hardly at all. They do salt the crap out of the roads here when we get the slightest bit of snowfall though.

Anyway - just thought I'd mention my observation...
__________________
Tatsu333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2025, 07:11 PM   #354
Tokay444
Anti stance.
 
Tokay444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Location: Not Canada
Posts: 1,756
Thanks: 939
Thanked 1,026 Times in 582 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu333 View Post
A quick note on durability of the MCA Traction Mod. I just noticed when under the car installing other stuff that they have rusted badly in the 3-1/2 years (but only 14,000 kms or so) since I've had them on. The surface layer with the powder coat is basically floating above the rest of it. I didn't take any pictures, but was pretty disappointed to see that...

Bear in mind, though, where we live it's wet about 2/3 of the year, but my car doesn't get driven in snow hardly at all. They do salt the crap out of the roads here when we get the slightest bit of snowfall though.

Anyway - just thought I'd mention my observation...
Pull ‘em out. Sand blast them. Hit them with 3 coats of Tremclad.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2025, 05:43 AM   #355
autoracer86
Senior Member
 
autoracer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Ireland
Posts: 703
Thanks: 648
Thanked 519 Times in 323 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu333 View Post
A quick note on durability of the MCA Traction Mod. I just noticed when under the car installing other stuff that they have rusted badly in the 3-1/2 years (but only 14,000 kms or so) since I've had them on. The surface layer with the powder coat is basically floating above the rest of it. I didn't take any pictures, but was pretty disappointed to see that...

Bear in mind, though, where we live it's wet about 2/3 of the year, but my car doesn't get driven in snow hardly at all. They do salt the crap out of the roads here when we get the slightest bit of snowfall though.

Anyway - just thought I'd mention my observation...
Good to know thanks ! I wonder if there is any difference between the v1 and v2 when it comes to powder coating.
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2025, 02:56 AM   #356
new2subaru
Weight Weenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 15 FR-S
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,677
Thanks: 5,293
Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,404 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Pull ‘em out. Sand blast them. Hit them with 3 coats of Tremclad.
Bingo. Piece of cake.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2025, 03:24 PM   #357
RotARy15
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Drives: 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1, 2025 BRZ tS
Location: USA
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Installed the MCA TMv2 along with STI trailing arms and subframe bushing inserts. Ride quality is much better. As others have said, feels like a properly sorted car now.

I haven't tested balance at the limit since the street offers little room for that but the couple of turns I can play with on the way to work seem to suggest improved rear traction out of a 20mph right hand turn so... that's a good sign.

I elected to simply bend the handbrake bracket to accommodate. Keep in mind that as the suspension compresses, the bracket pinches the brake cable even harder. So I jacked the knuckle up to ride height while I bent the bracket in a bench vise and test fit several times. Then I test fit with my ARC8/R-S4 for clearance. Had over an inch of room so that wasn't a problem at all. The bracket ended up really only limiting lateral movement of the brake cable. Seemed a good result since I expect actual suspension compression would obviously make the angles even worse.

Very happy with this mod. The change in ride quality is enough that even if this induces understeer, I'm happy to correct that by other means. I don't want to remove this mod from the car.
RotARy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2025, 11:17 AM   #358
smackrel
Full Throttle!
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 17 CBSP Limited PP
Location: TPA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 119
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotARy15 View Post
Installed the MCA TMv2 along with STI trailing arms and subframe bushing inserts. Ride quality is much better. As others have said, feels like a properly sorted car now.

I haven't tested balance at the limit since the street offers little room for that but the couple of turns I can play with on the way to work seem to suggest improved rear traction out of a 20mph right hand turn so... that's a good sign.

I elected to simply bend the handbrake bracket to accommodate. Keep in mind that as the suspension compresses, the bracket pinches the brake cable even harder. So I jacked the knuckle up to ride height while I bent the bracket in a bench vise and test fit several times. Then I test fit with my ARC8/R-S4 for clearance. Had over an inch of room so that wasn't a problem at all. The bracket ended up really only limiting lateral movement of the brake cable. Seemed a good result since I expect actual suspension compression would obviously make the angles even worse.

Very happy with this mod. The change in ride quality is enough that even if this induces understeer, I'm happy to correct that by other means. I don't want to remove this mod from the car.
Thanks for sharing your experience with this.

Makes me wonder if the rear subframe really is from a WRX? Seems kinda krazy since Toyobaru spent so much time/$ developing this car. Then again, there's has to be concessions made in some places. Manufacturing a car is ridiculously hard.
smackrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2025, 05:10 PM   #359
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,421
Thanks: 1,907
Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Wouldn't be surprised if there was some level of cost savings. The rear suspension works, and in some ways accentuates the having a fun low power tail happy car.


I've done a couple of lapping days with this setup with a few recent added parts like subframe bushings and SS1 coils. Car is very compliant and predictable. I can see how some may want to stiffen rear sprin rates depending on track/driving style.

Personally like how the car feels right now, my local track at calabogie has a lot of hill/elevation changes with corners and I like having the rear end be more neutral and predictable to lay down power.

For the rust potential, I soak everything metal with fluid film up here in Canada and find that generally helps keep stuff from looking crusty. I cleaned it recently while doing the subframe inserts and paint was still in good shape.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2026, 10:24 PM   #360
Wangspeed
Member
 
Wangspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Drives: 2022 BRZ
Location: NoVA
Posts: 83
Thanks: 19
Thanked 85 Times in 47 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Following up here after a few years. I have the GP Sport relocation kit. It does NOT work with the FDF traction arms. The FDF arms are tall and wide, and the GP sports relocation kit moves it more than the MCA or similar ones. As a result the traction arm and wheel have very little clearance. I ended up machining the lip of my wheel…

Name:  IMG_0469.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  561.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  374.3 KB

I made a trackside change to move the arms back to stock location. What I found is that the change was not really noticeable. I think it was more impactful when I was on 400 lb/in rear springs, but now that I’m at 625, I think it just doesn’t compress enough to make much of a difference on track. I curb hopped like I always do at VIR and everything pretty much felt normal
__________________
Wangspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2026, 08:31 AM   #361
Ohio Enthusiast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: 2018 BRZ
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 1,491
Thanked 888 Times in 513 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
That sucks. I'm assuming that happens only at full compression? So hard to verify with the car on stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
I curb hopped like I always do at VIR and everything pretty much felt normal
The traction mods are supposed to reduce anti-squat geometry, so would allow more squat on acceleration. There would probably be some second-order effects as well(Mazda used anti-geometry in the latest update of the Miata (ND3) to get better handling), but being able to put the power down better is the main one. Curbs shouldn't behave any differently, IMO.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2026, 04:41 AM   #362
Enigmeerkat
Enigmeerkat
 
Enigmeerkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Drives: 2015 Toyota 86 GTS
Location: NSW
Posts: 47
Thanks: 17
Thanked 37 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just bought the V2's. Will update once they're on the car.
__________________
-----------------------------
2015 Toyota 86 GTS
- Ecutek w/ Flex Fuel, Xtreme Stage 1 Organic Clutch
- PSR UEL Header, Invidia R400 Catback
- Whiteline Swaybars, 18" ROH Blue Evo R
Enigmeerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needed opinions: Does debadging "Subaru" and "BRZ" cheapen the car? davidchoi Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 49 11-22-2014 10:17 PM
"Clicking" or "knocking" caused by rear seat pull down lever. husker741 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 6 11-27-2013 02:30 PM
"My Dealer told me {insert dumb idea}" (was "Toyota/Subary Partnership Cancelled?") levifig BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 48 08-09-2013 06:34 PM
Factory suspension "sticktion" andrew20195 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 1 04-02-2013 02:49 PM
"Official" Suspension/Brake Thread NYC BRZ Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 27 06-27-2012 09:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.