|
||||||
| Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86 |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#24585 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24586 |
|
Geo Tyrebighter Esq
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Location: pnw
Posts: 4,324
Thanks: 6,780
Thanked 5,270 Times in 2,296 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
|
"Lower to da groun' " is an aesthetic affectation that has ruined more cars than you can count on the 5000 fingers of Dr. Terwillager.
It's something you take on if you're using it only on a track with known deviations. Then you take it home and refurbish the worn CVs and set it up for the next known racetrack. It's not a rational thing to do if you're driving it everyday on publicly maintained torture tests.
__________________
--
"I gotta rock." -- Charley Brown |
|
|
|
|
|
#24587 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,421
Thanks: 1,907
Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
|
Quote:
![]() I'm sure Andrew @Racecomp Engineering can chime in. My setup always looks monster truck at 86 meets but I can use the car basically anywhere without low car problems. Last edited by RToyo86; 06-06-2024 at 09:43 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24588 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,421
Thanks: 1,907
Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
|
On that subject... I swapped some 215/45 RS4s on stock wheels to autocross and track with.
Reduction in meat is real. Also did whiteline diff bushing inserts. Intially didn't think there was much NVH but there definitely is living with it. Going to try pulling one of the bushings out as recommended. ![]()
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24589 | |
|
Quote:
I'm at about 20/25mm lower than stock on my coilovers with OEM top mounts. Low enough to not look stock but not low enough to be a problem where I drive. Living in the city means compromises. The potholes, constant construction, and rippled pavement is a legitimate clearance concern if nothing else. But I can walk to get excellent tacos so... We've got plenty of travel on our coilovers so you could try a bit lower, but you certainly don't have to! - Andrew |
||
|
|
|
|
|
#24590 |
|
Famous Potatoes
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
|
I had about a qt too much oil in the engine, so I got one of those $7 pumps from Harbor Freight and took a bit out thru the dipstick tube. Runs much better now.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24591 | |
|
Wes
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 1,259
Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,028 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
|
Quote:
) but I suppose I could try going a bit lower and see how it goes. I really want to go from 18x9.5 down to 17x9.0 so I'm thinking reduced unsprung weight will make up for the difference in ride quality once I lower it more
__________________
Instagram: @gt86ws
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24592 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Location: Quinte West Ontario
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 1,717
Thanked 3,049 Times in 1,211 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
|
Quote:
__________________
Living life on the edge, less crowded, better view!
2018 tS Still in the family. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24593 |
|
Wes
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 1,259
Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,028 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
|
Yes sorry, I should have specified that I would also combine the smaller rim with a "meatier" tire. But I was also implying that the larger diameter wheel/tire combo is heavier and is detrimental to comfort.
__________________
Instagram: @gt86ws
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24594 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2021
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Location: Colorado
Posts: 170
Thanks: 30
Thanked 127 Times in 58 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
|
Quote:
I did this myself going to 16" wheels and the ride comfort is massively improved.
__________________
This post sent using 100% recycled electrons.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24595 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,421
Thanks: 1,907
Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
|
Tire choice can make a difference as well.
ECS02 ride surprisingly good for a UHP tire. RS4... Not so much
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24596 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2020
Drives: 2017 BRZ series.yellow
Location: Idaho
Posts: 253
Thanks: 132
Thanked 189 Times in 109 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Quote:
It's been a while since I put my RCE T2's on and set ride height, so I don't remember exactly, but I thought I set them close to RCE's recommendations. This is how she looks with 17x9 +35 wheels, 255/40 tires and -4 camber up front, -2 in the rear. I presonally think it's great and not monster truckish at all. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24597 | |
|
Wes
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 1,259
Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,028 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
|
Quote:
![]() Yours looks good
__________________
Instagram: @gt86ws
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24598 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,421
Thanks: 1,907
Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
|
RCE yellows on 17x9, 245/40
Next to my brother's new red BRZ on unknown spring, maybe sport lines. My car looks monster truck next to anything not stock ![]()
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
| Tags |
| :popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Saw My First FR-S Today | Marrk | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 26 | 05-15-2013 12:40 PM |
| Got My Car Today!!!!! First 86!! #81 | Juanito08 | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 7 | 05-22-2012 04:54 PM |
| If my FRS was here already, today I would... | bestwheelbase | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 101 | 05-12-2012 06:20 PM |
| Sat in a FRS today!! | Ladnerd | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 12 | 04-30-2012 01:48 PM |
| Got my VIN today... | Enemies | BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics | 63 | 04-12-2012 10:19 PM |