|
|
#29 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: 2018 BRZ
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 1,491
Thanked 888 Times in 513 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#30 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
Another oil question.
Last weekend I ran at VIR. Ambient temps in the 70's. At 200*, I have 12-15psi/1000rpm. When my oil temperature was 220*-230*, my pressure stayed around 10psi/1000 rpm. 230* to 245* the pressure dropped to 6-8psi/1000. When temperatures bumped 250*, I had 40psi at 7000 rpm. I pulled into the paddock after that. I run Mobil 1 10w30. My oil temperature is measured at the spacer below the sandwich plate. Oil pressure is taken at the galley on top of the engine. Next event, I'm thinking of running Motul 5w40. Is there a better choice? |
|
|
|
|
|
#31 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2022
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Ireland
Posts: 703
Thanks: 648
Thanked 519 Times in 323 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
|
Quote:
but yeah 55psi at 7k and near 70psi at normal street temps. Based off your data I would be getting myself a oil cooler but I think based off my location and normally only doing 5 Laps before pitting I can just keep the temps under 250F so no need in my situation. If you already have an oil cooler then IDK... YOLO it lol
__________________
SpareRoomRacing Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@spareroomracing3168/featured Build Thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153004
Last edited by autoracer86; 10-24-2023 at 06:31 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#33 |
|
Anti stance.
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Location: Not Canada
Posts: 1,756
Thanks: 939
Thanked 1,026 Times in 582 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
|
Yes.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#34 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2022
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Ireland
Posts: 703
Thanks: 648
Thanked 519 Times in 323 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
|
Quote:
How big is the core compared to say the JR racing one ? Also do you have a shroud
__________________
SpareRoomRacing Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@spareroomracing3168/featured Build Thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153004
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#35 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
Quote:
No shroud. It mounts to the back of the bash bar so it's only a couple of inches behind the grill. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#36 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
|
I'd look into shrouding the cooler. I dropped temp a bit just by repositioning mine up a couple inches since it was sitting behind the "chin" of the front bumper a bit.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#37 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
Quote:
I checked that the thermostat closes at 180*. So far, I can't figure out why my oil temps were so high. Last edited by blsfrs; 10-27-2023 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added picture |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
It can be tricky to get proper airflow. Cross flow between the coolers can actually kill the pressure differential needed to force air through. Might be as simple as walling off the area between the oil cooler and AC condenser. Try some cardboard and tape for science.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#39 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
Quote:
The temperature problem only manifests on the track. In 2 weeks, I'm going to Summit Point. I'll wall off the open area and see what happens. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#40 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
wait... was that me? haha...
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#41 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Drives: Toyota 86
Location: South Korea
Posts: 279
Thanks: 142
Thanked 223 Times in 127 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
|
It'll be helpful to get air guide panels.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#42 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
Project Shroud
Fun weekend project. I hope this works. And yes @Ultramaroon, I put the danged foam piece behind the bumper.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
| Tags |
| haha |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Full Race external oil cooler kit | duqx | Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons | 1 | 01-20-2019 08:41 PM |
| External mic placement | Shark_Bait88 | Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting | 22 | 06-13-2016 06:39 PM |
| Anyone have info on the BRZ OEM external oil cooler (Japan only)? | mav1178 | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 5 | 04-22-2016 12:20 AM |
| External Wastegate Question | TurboBRZ | Forced Induction | 23 | 07-22-2015 12:38 PM |