follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2023, 11:59 AM   #15
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,523 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
In 2010 my wife wanted a new Outback...
< snip >

We still have the Outback. I just did the timing belt and sparkplugs. It's ready for the next 100k.
Now that's the type of story I like. Yes, it would be better if you didn't have to waste a day of your life and fight for every penny. However, in the end you got a great serviceable vehicle at a fair price. Good onya mate!

As for our situation, I think I've got the wife convinced she doesn't need a Santa Cruz.
I sent an abbreviated version of the 11 points to OMVIC. (Because their website is limited to 1000 characters.)
I've also sent more in-depth versions of our story to APA, (Automobile Protection Agency) and two of Canada's best consumer/investigative reporting TV shows. CBC's Marketplace and CTV's W5.
Hyundai Canada doesn't take complaints directly. You have to go through the dealership you have the problem with. I'm not going to get into the same battle with four different dealers. I do have a life.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
bcj (08-14-2023), blsfrs (08-14-2023), Clipdat (08-13-2023), Kaotic Lazagna (08-13-2023), soundman98 (08-13-2023), Ultramaroon (08-13-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 10:26 PM   #16
Kittykate

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ran a KBB valuation on my car because I was curious how close its value is compared to what I still owe on it and oh boy was it a mistake not putting in my old phone number.

Got like 6 dealerships circling like fucking vultures. Damn near got in trouble at work because they keep blowing up my phone.
Kittykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:00 PM   #17
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykate View Post
Ran a KBB valuation on my car because I was curious how close its value is compared to what I still owe on it and oh boy was it a mistake not putting in my old phone number.

Got like 6 dealerships circling like fucking vultures. Damn near got in trouble at work because they keep blowing up my phone.
i picked up one spam call 6 months ago to try to get rid of them. it apparently validated my number in their system. i get no less than 6 spam calls a day now.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:49 PM   #18
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I bought a 2023 Volvo V60 Cross Country a few months ago. They had a mid-level until at the dealer in a nice colour combo. Except the mid level package had another $3,500 in individual options added on as well for this one. Also, the $600 anti-theft etching and the floor mat package that was $1,100.
I know very well that they try to load up each sale as much as possible,especially at the more upscale dealers.
So, since the salesman was congenial, and happens to live in my neighbourhood, and since I had no reason to walk otherwise I focussed on the value of my trade-in. Lucky for me my previous vehicle was an unmolested STI with 52K km on it. And the same company owns the Subaru store adjoining.
Still a lot of money, but as a career salesman, I detest having to nickle and dime. This is after all, a hell of a lot more car than the STI was, at least to me.

I heard that new Hyundai Santa Fe 'ute wasn't selling that well. Like the new WRX.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 08-18-2023 at 01:41 PM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:05 PM   #19
Talus1

Drives: '06 Cayman, ‘23 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I picked up a ‘23 BRZ SportTech two weeks ago. We’d stopped at the local dealership back in mid-May to inquire about allocations and wait times. It’s a small dealership in a mostly rural area and luckily the salesperson was also the Sales Manager and the son of the owner/dealer principal. He said they had two allocations for BRZs, both were not spoken for and were manual SportTechs in WRBP, and that he wasn’t expecting any further allocations any time soon. The two cars were supposedly finished manufacturing and were expected in about 6 weeks. We left a small deposit and figured we might see the car in the fall, if we were lucky.

I was surprised when he contacted me before the end of July to say the cars had arrived. We did the cash deal quickly. He didn’t really try to upsell me on anything. They offered less than I hoped but more than I expected on my trade-in. There was no additional mark-up beyond the usual fees. The whole thing was remarkably… painless.

The other BRZ was still sitting in their near-empty lot as of two days ago, amongst the few other new and used cars they have in stock.

We also have a small deposit down on a Tucson PHEV. I’m not optimistic that the experience will be as successful or pleasant.
Kaotic Lazagna (08-16-2023), soundman98 (08-16-2023), Stephen W. (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #20
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Did my first oil change on the BRZ at the dealership because I didn't have a low-profile jack yet.

Advertised $89.99 + tax... seemed reasonable. More expensive than DIY for sure, but made sense.

Went to pick up the car and my bill was close to $200. They had very small fine print "oil and oil filter not included".

And it was shitty Mobil 1 that burnt half a quart every 2000kms.

NEVER AGAIN.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:06 PM   #21
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
Did my first oil change on the BRZ at the dealership because I didn't have a low-profile jack yet.

Advertised $89.99 + tax... seemed reasonable. More expensive than DIY for sure, but made sense.

Went to pick up the car and my bill was close to $200. They had very small fine print "oil and oil filter not included".

And it was shitty Mobil 1 that burnt half a quart every 2000kms.

NEVER AGAIN.
that sounds like a routine maintenance/inspection package. never heard of an oil change where the oil and filter aren't included...

also, i really want to see a source that any current brand of oil burns off more than another brand, because i have a hard time believing that.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:48 PM   #22
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
that sounds like a routine maintenance/inspection package. never heard of an oil change where the oil and filter aren't included...

also, i really want to see a source that any current brand of oil burns off more than another brand, because i have a hard time believing that.
I'd have to question the Mobil 1 burning too, or at least if it is, you probably have an issue with rings/seals, not the fault of the oil.

On the other hand it is well documented for years that Mobil 1 does burn off more than normal in factory turbocharged Subarus.

That oil change sounds like a scam to me. How can they charge $200 labour for an oil change, which doesn't even require a mechanic to perform? Someone is charging around $400/hour for labour based on an oil change taking 1/2 hour, which it barely does. That is ridiculous and I'd never return to that dealer ever.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:16 PM   #23
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,381 Times in 7,414 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
That oil change sounds like a scam to me. How can they charge $200 labour for an oil change, which doesn't even require a mechanic to perform? Someone is charging around $400/hour for labour based on an oil change taking 1/2 hour, which it barely does. That is ridiculous and I'd never return to that dealer ever.
He said close to $200 for all, not 200 for labor. That doesn't sound too far off being you are probably paying dealer price for everything and being in CAD, that is like 150usd right now.

Quote:
Went to pick up the car and my bill was close to $200.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:31 PM   #24
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
He said close to $200 for all, not 200 for labor. That doesn't sound too far off being you are probably paying dealer price for everything and being in CAD, that is like 150usd right now.
Oops my error.

In Canadian dollars (~ .75 ish USD), an oil change on a non-luxury brand such as Toyota or Subaru should not be a whole lot more than $100., total at the dealer.

The most I ever paid for an oil change was on my 2018 STI, which does take more time to remove the underbody cover with 6 bolts/pop rivets than an 86 or BRZ. Also, the little blue oil filter used in the STI is approx. double the cost at the parts counter vs. a BRZ filter. I think I once paid around $130. incl. 13% tax and the disposal fee. When I DIY'd it, my cost was around half that.

The twins are the easiest cars to change the oil that I have experienced. Top mounted filter, no underguard to remove, and in my case I use an EZ valve so there's no crush washer/bolt to deal with.

Get a low profile jack.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:57 PM   #25
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Oops my error.

In Canadian dollars (~ .75 ish USD), an oil change on a non-luxury brand such as Toyota or Subaru should not be a whole lot more than $100., total at the dealer.

The most I ever paid for an oil change was on my 2018 STI, which does take more time to remove the underbody cover with 6 bolts/pop rivets than an 86 or BRZ. Also, the little blue oil filter used in the STI is approx. double the cost at the parts counter vs. a BRZ filter. I think I once paid around $130. incl. 13% tax and the disposal fee. When I DIY'd it, my cost was around half that.

The twins are the easiest cars to change the oil that I have experienced. Top mounted filter, no underguard to remove, and in my case I use an EZ valve so there's no crush washer/bolt to deal with.

Get a low profile jack.
No shit
Old 08-18-2023, 04:12 PM   #26
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,523 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Subaru Pricing:
Canadian https://www.barriesubaru.com/service/service-pricing/
(Doesn't specify oil type)
USA https://www.mitchellsubaru.com/service/service-menu.htm
(Does specify oil)

Don't get me started on what the dealers actually do as opposed to what Subaru says they do...

Last edited by Stephen W.; 08-18-2023 at 04:23 PM.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 04:38 PM   #27
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
Subaru Pricing:
Canadian https://www.barriesubaru.com/service/service-pricing/
(Doesn't specify oil type)
USA https://www.mitchellsubaru.com/service/service-menu.htm
(Does specify oil)

Don't get me started on what the dealers actually do as opposed to what Subaru says they do...
I think the distinction of knowing if you paid for a "service" or just an oil change is important. The primary purpose of a service may be an oil change, but they also check things out, grease fittings, maybe fill your washer fluid, wash the car, and advise items that need to be addressed. Most people I know that get their car serviced pay around 130-150 here, except for Chevy people, for some reason they are a lot cheaper. They seem to be about 80 bucks.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:14 PM   #28
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It was definitely just an oil change I signed up for, not a service package or anything. Any of the other services I've done have been at a local 3rd party shop.

I purchased a jack right away and haven't touched the dealership for service since then (this was back in 2017). I've always preferred to do my own oil changes.

My car consuming Mobil 1 oil is a mystery to me. I switched to Liquimoly 0W20 and it's never consumed a drop of that. My changes cost me ~$70 CAD all in now with OEM Subaru filters.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote