follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2023, 11:15 AM   #1317
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,965 Times in 11,387 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
They should have another test for people who drive aggressively fast like assholes because my average would probably be terrible.
That would be true for ICE as well. Maybe a new rating for both called the "assholery range"?

Quote:
Real world economy will depend on regen and someone’s right foot like it is for ICE vehicles, so I don’t know if it matters unless the discrepancy would be a deal breaker.
EV range has much more variability than ICE based on everything running off the battery. Add heat/cooling/running the entertainment system, running the windows up and down, are the seats on, are three passengers charging their phone, etc, etc, it all adds up.

I'm not an electrical engineer but I have wondered if a wind powered alternator would not provide more advantage than the parasitic drag it would produce if it were in the right place in the slipstream.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:01 PM   #1318
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm not an electrical engineer but I have wondered if a wind powered alternator would not provide more advantage than the parasitic drag it would produce if it were in the right place in the slipstream.
No... Similarly, if you put a small generator on the front wheels, that won't generate net positive power either! I can't tell you how many people offered us these genius ideas when I was in the electric vehicle biz! And one of them was interviewing for an engineering job! He did not get it...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 01:17 PM   #1319
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
That would be true for ICE as well. Maybe a new rating for both called the "assholery range"

EV range has much more variability than ICE based on everything running off the battery. Add heat/cooling/running the entertainment system, running the windows up and down, are the seats on, are three passengers charging their phone, etc, etc, it all adds up.

Just FYI, all that stuff that you mentioned that runs off the EV battery also runs off gasoline in ICE vehicles and affects their range and fuel efficiency. We just don’t consider it because we refuel quickly. This is true of speed, wind resistance, having windows open, etc. My wife’s Q5 warns us to close our windows at speed to reduce drag for better fuel economy.

Wind resistance could be used to power a generator, but it would need to be deployed during breaking, so an air duct would open to allow air through a restricter with a turbine for generating power. My guess is brake-based regen is far more efficient than air based regen that it wouldn’t be worth the effort.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:13 PM   #1320
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
That would be true for ICE as well. Maybe a new rating for both called the "assholery range"?

Fun fact, wind turbine mounting structures load calculations are based on the blade area being a solid disc, as the impedance to airflow the blades provide is technically similar.

So next time you pass a wind farm, imagine sticking that large of a flat disc of material up on a stick in a windy area, when I can't even hold a 4x8' sheet of plywood up in my driveway!
Dadhawk (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 04:15 PM   #1321
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Just FYI, all that stuff that you mentioned that runs off the EV battery also runs off gasoline in ICE vehicles and affects their range and fuel efficiency. We just don’t consider it because we refuel quickly. This is true of speed, wind resistance, having windows open, etc. My wife’s Q5 warns us to close our windows at speed to reduce drag for better fuel economy.

Wind resistance could be used to power a generator, but it would need to be deployed during breaking, so an air duct would open to allow air through a restricter with a turbine for generating power. My guess is brake-based regen is far more efficient than air based regen that it wouldn’t be worth the effort.
Heating in an ICE vehicle is a byproduct. There's no cost difference to using it or not using it.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #1322
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Just FYI, all that stuff that you mentioned that runs off the EV battery also runs off gasoline in ICE vehicles and affects their range and fuel efficiency.
Well it really runs more off parasitic drag (the alternator, compressor, etc) than gas but yes indirectly you are correct.

My point is it is unfortunate they can't figure out a way to power this on some type "renewing" energy or force when driving. The vehicles that use a heat pump for heating and cooling do this to some extent, similar to how an ICE heats as part of the cooling system of the vehicle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 05:36 PM   #1323
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
No... Similarly, if you put a small generator on the front wheels, that won't generate net positive power either! I can't tell you how many people offered us these genius ideas when I was in the electric vehicle biz! And one of them was interviewing for an engineering job! He did not get it...
Completely get the small generator option, which was why I was thinking more of a wind driven generator in some type of forced air situation. With no technical knowledge it makes sense, but I also understand the drag probably reverses any real gain. Wishful Physics I guess on my part.

Old 04-23-2023, 08:25 PM   #1324
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Heating in an ICE vehicle is a byproduct. There's no cost difference to using it or not using it.
Heat is a byproduct of EVs too that is captured through Tesla’s Octovalve. EVs are much more efficient, so there is far less wasted heat to use for cabin heat, so if someone has the heat on blast in the cold then yes it will decrease range.

Tesla’s Octovalve Enabled A Staggering 10% Increase In Range For The Model Y
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/03...r-the-model-y/
Old 04-24-2023, 03:40 AM   #1325
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Heat is a byproduct of EVs too that is captured through Tesla’s Octovalve. EVs are much more efficient, so there is far less wasted heat to use for cabin heat, so if someone has the heat on blast in the cold then yes it will decrease range.

Tesla’s Octovalve Enabled A Staggering 10% Increase In Range For The Model Y
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/03...r-the-model-y/

While I don't doubt the fact efficiency can be gained on a EV through better heat mgmt, I'd take any positive Tesla news with a grain of salt when the article is followed by a Tesla referral code.

But yeah, apart from these gains there are no physics-bending way to run ancillaries. Any energy has to come from somewhere, just like it does on an ICE's ancillaries.

I do wonder whether a steam turbine would make sense to generate electrical power on an ICE, since 60% of gasoline's theoretical power is dissipated.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:17 AM   #1326
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,207 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Hi I don’t get this. If it’s hideously ugly I don’t want to be seen in or emerging from it - no matter who’s driving.

I occasionally consider truck camping. It might be fun to put a camper too on the bed of my old F150. But my boss would never let that happen. Minivans? I don’t think so.

Edit. Wife and I have concluded that, given where we live, driving 1000 miles to get to the beginning of interesting stuff is not fun.

So, the plan is to fly/rent/drive from here on out.
I'd probably consider the Lexus LM more "gaudy" than "ugly"
IMO that just means its ugly but in a more prestigious manner, appealing to folks who have more money than taste. Not to say the LM ISNT ugly (it looks like a bus...that new look Lexus face grille is far too tall in this application)

Something like the Pontiac Aztek is just plain ugly, and that's because its got no redeeming qualities over any other standard CUV that's worth overlooking the face. Even BMW's pignose on the new 4 series. Every time i look at it i CANNOT get used to it. Its one of those designs that i thought over time it'll grow on you or you get used to it...but i just cant....its just...godawful.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #1327
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
While I don't doubt the fact efficiency can be gained on a EV through better heat mgmt, I'd take any positive Tesla news with a grain of salt when the article is followed by a Tesla referral code.

But yeah, apart from these gains there are no physics-bending way to run ancillaries. Any energy has to come from somewhere, just like it does on an ICE's ancillaries.

I do wonder whether a steam turbine would make sense to generate electrical power on an ICE, since 60% of gasoline's theoretical power is dissipated.

love too journalism
Quote:
That’s staggering and speaks to not only Tesla’s mastery of battery technology, but mastery of innovation. This is not an electric vehicle improvement, a motor improvement, or a new battery chemistry. Rather, it showcases Tesla’s willingness to tackle and become the masters of a completely new competency to improve its vehicles
Quote:
In the Tesla Model Y, the heat pump was a true engineering marvel. Elon admitted on the podcast that he has a trophy rack of impressive tech his teams have come up with in his bedroom at home. The new printed circuit board (PCB) for the Tesla Octovalve was so impressive to Elon that he added it to his bedroom trophy rack.
and lol, the bio of course:

Quote:

Kyle Field
I'm a tech geek passionately in search of actionable ways to reduce the negative impact my life has on the planet, save money and reduce stress. Live intentionally, make conscious decisions, love more, act responsibly, play. The more you know, the less you need. As an activist investor, Kyle owns long term holdings in Tesla, Lightning eMotors, Arcimoto, and SolarEdge.
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires For This Useful Post:
alex87f (04-24-2023), soundman98 (04-24-2023), WolfpackS2k (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 10:48 AM   #1328
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,187 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I was born in 82' and can remember far more roof racks with camping equipment on the cars and bicycles and ski's attached to the top of vehicles. Now everything has been moved inside. Safety? Rain? Theft?
The word you're looking for is laziness.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 12:46 PM   #1329
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,008 Times in 2,208 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
ugly but in a more prestigious manner
concise

... nail -> head ... but POSH
Old 04-24-2023, 01:01 PM   #1330
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,353 Times in 7,395 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
We had a company approach us like 10ish years ago about making an energy recovery system that would work with one of our units with a 6.5hp Honda general purpose engine. Basically a generate and immediately deploy hybrid system. It took more power to generate energy to move the unit then the engine produced