follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2023, 10:06 AM   #1
AlmondChassis

Drives: Subaru BRZ MY16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Cooler Location with Verus Adjustable Front Splitter + Intercooler?

Does anyone know any Oil Cooler that would work with the Verus adjustable front splitter (With the rods behind the bumper) + Having an intercooler? I have a G30-660 Turbo Kit that I am preparing to put on, but one of the concerns is oil cooler! I currently have a DIY Setrab 19 Row with Speedflow fittings/lines + Racer X thermostatic sandwhich plate that is mounted at the front crashbar.

With the intercooler in the way, and the splitter rods (This doesn't allow the use of the mounting location used in HKS Side Fender Mount) I'm wondering if anyone has thought of an alternative location..

I really want to use the Jackson Racing dual radiator/oil cooler. Or even the Skunk 2 Ultra Racing Radiator (If if fits with the turbo as that radiator is thicc)but I am not sure if the JS Dual Radiator will be enough with a 380-400whp setup. (Albeit that would be high boost, and will likely daily it with 260-290whp.)
AlmondChassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:18 PM   #2
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If you don't have hood vents, that will most likely be the first recommendation of anything.

I ended up with a JR Dual Rad/Oil Cooler for my FRS, Harrop SC (95mm Pulley, E85). Call it ~280 whp with supporting mods. On the track, I was able to do 8-9 laps (IE full session before my tires started to grease over and I pulled in due to tires rather than the SC) I maintained Coolant Temp below 200F and Oil never peaked past 230F. External ambient temps were 65F, it was going to warm up later in the day but sadly I threw a rocker and that put an end to my day.

I have the ACE Radiator Shroud which I think is helping a bunch managing the airflow through the Radiator and Intercooler. Even my IATs never were passing 90F, which...no clue for the Harrop Setup how that jives but considering it's +25F I would say it's pretty solid.
Attached Images

Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:56 PM   #3
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,236 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Not the Verus splitter, but when I was Harrop/FA:

Last edited by RedReplicant; 04-10-2023 at 10:25 PM.
RedReplicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedReplicant For This Useful Post:
Axis2011KR (06-15-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:17 PM   #4
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have the g25 550 kit with the mishimoto oil cooler. I have a large splitter and aero lip.

Intercooler is in the way of the bracket location of the cooler, and the cooler itself is quite tall and can’t fit under the crash bar because of the fittings. Mine is mounted as far front as possible which ended up being right behind the grille (touches it) with the bumper on. Could really go a few MM back for better bumper Fitment but will need to make an angled bracket for the cooler to do that.

I’d suggest looking at the AVO oil cooler than mounts on the driver side behind the fog light. Lots of space they’re not taken up by anything.
That’s where I wanted to mount my cooler but the mishimoto lines were only long enough for a front, centre mount

Keep in mind bumper didn’t fit with placement in this picture, had to move it back about 3-4cm

Last edited by Sam86; 04-10-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:01 PM   #5
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a koyo rad and a jrsc fluid cooler and their oil cooler and they all stack up on top of each other. Complete pain in the ass to mount, but they should clear any splitter. Also I second vents. My underhood temps were super toasty just driving around tow, now as long as i keep my fans on even sitting in the sun at a light my temps drop pretty fast.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:48 AM   #6
AlmondChassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
If you don't have hood vents, that will most likely be the first recommendation of anything.

I ended up with a JR Dual Rad/Oil Cooler for my FRS, Harrop SC (95mm Pulley, E85). Call it ~280 whp with supporting mods. On the track, I was able to do 8-9 laps (IE full session before my tires started to grease over and I pulled in due to tires rather than the SC) I maintained Coolant Temp below 200F and Oil never peaked past 230F. External ambient temps were 65F, it was going to warm up later in the day but sadly I threw a rocker and that put an end to my day.

I have the ACE Radiator Shroud which I think is helping a bunch managing the airflow through the Radiator and Intercooler. Even my IATs never were passing 90F, which...no clue for the Harrop Setup how that jives but considering it's +25F I would say it's pretty solid.
I should've mentioned, but yes I already have a vented hood, I really love the concept of the Jackson Racing Dual Oil/Radiator cooler, but alot seem to be used for Supercharged Setups, and I am not too sure how it goes with Turbo, as it is an oil cooled turbo and will generate more heat.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:59 AM   #7
AlmondChassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
I have the g25 550 kit with the mishimoto oil cooler. I have a large splitter and aero lip.

Intercooler is in the way of the bracket location of the cooler, and the cooler itself is quite tall and can’t fit under the crash bar because of the fittings. Mine is mounted as far front as possible which ended up being right behind the grille (touches it) with the bumper on. Could really go a few MM back for better bumper Fitment but will need to make an angled bracket for the cooler to do that.

I’d suggest looking at the AVO oil cooler than mounts on the driver side behind the fog light. Lots of space they’re not taken up by anything.
That’s where I wanted to mount my cooler but the mishimoto lines were only long enough for a front, centre mount

Keep in mind bumper didn’t fit with placement in this picture, had to move it back about 3-4cm
AVO Oil Cooler ducting wont work with the SME intercooler piping. (SME has their intercooler piping below, while AVO has theirs up top which allows the ducting to slide under it.)

I still don't think that side mount location would work with the Verus splitter, as it has a rod that goes straight to the same location as what seems to be an auto trans cooler on yours.

https://i.postimg.cc/90KDNBwy/20211225-172611.jpg
Old 04-11-2023, 02:35 AM   #8
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondChassis View Post
AVO Oil Cooler ducting wont work with the SME intercooler piping. (SME has their intercooler piping below, while AVO has theirs up top which allows the ducting to slide under it.)

I still don't think that side mount location would work with the Verus splitter, as it has a rod that goes straight to the same location as what seems to be an auto trans cooler on yours.

https://i.postimg.cc/90KDNBwy/20211225-172611.jpg
The AVO oil cooler is the same bracket just reversed as my AVO transmission cooler. It’ll fit fine just obviously not with the air duct that comes with it.

Looked at your photo, the rods don’t appear to be in the same position as the cooler so you’ll be fine. The cooler sits on top of that far right bit of underbody plastic

Lots of free space as you can see, just have it mounted at the bottom and angled slightly the same as I have done with the transmission cooler

Last edited by Sam86; 04-11-2023 at 04:52 AM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:28 AM   #9
AlmondChassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
I have a koyo rad and a jrsc fluid cooler and their oil cooler and they all stack up on top of each other. Complete pain in the ass to mount, but they should clear any splitter. Also I second vents. My underhood temps were super toasty just driving around tow, now as long as i keep my fans on even sitting in the sun at a light my temps drop pretty fast.
What is their fluid cooler? All I know of is their Dual radiator oil cooler, or the standalone air to oil oil cooler.?

Or do you mean their supercharger intercooler? Sorry just trying to understand.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:31 AM   #10
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondChassis View Post
What is their fluid cooler? All I know of is their Dual radiator oil cooler, or the standalone air to oil oil cooler.?

Or do you mean their supercharger intercooler? Sorry just trying to understand.

I have a koyo rad, then a jackson racing supercharger fluid cooler, and a jackson racing oil cooler that both go on the same mounting bar that slide in right in front of the AC. so it goes the 2 jackson racing coolers, the ac cooler, the radiator. The intercooler is somewhere between. But the main thing is hood vents dropped the temp from pegged at 127f just driving around on a nice day, to 30-40f over ambient when pounding it on a back then sitting at a light.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
AlmondChassis (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 07:02 PM   #11
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,478 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I used the Mishimoto but put it behind the intercooler for protection. It’s a tight fit but it will work.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jackson racing, location, oil cooler kit, turbo brz