follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 01-11-2023, 11:48 AM   #4761
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR02 View Post
The tuner (Delicious Tuning) has sent a third tune which I'm now trying. Still had issues with the high idle several times today but it didn't do the low rpm bounce/stall.

No codes. Stock MAF and using the TMAP that comes with the supercharger.
Is there any chance that the butterfly inside the S/C was gapped incorrectly before the installation or has gone out of adjustment (loose locknut) since the install?.
235F/245R Conti ECS on TRD/Enkei wheels (street),
245/40 sq. A052 on 17x8 720Form GTF2 wheels (track)
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:37 PM   #4762
RSR02

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
Is there any chance that the butterfly inside the S/C was gapped incorrectly before the installation or has gone out of adjustment (loose locknut) since the install?.

Yes because I replaced the old faulty bypass actuator with a new one before I installed it. I followed the how to the best I could, but since I've never done one before I may have done it wrong. I adjusted it until the feeler gauge felt just right to me. Do you thing it's too open or too closed?
RSR02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 10:45 AM   #4763
Muskoka800

Quote:
Yes because I replaced the old faulty bypass actuator with a new one before I installed it. I followed the how to the best I could, but since I've never done one before I may have done it wrong. I adjusted it until the feeler gauge felt just right to me. Do you thing it's too open or too closed?
Your guess is as good as mine. I just recall the installation instructions being quite explicit about it’s accurate setting.
Perhaps your tuner, or someone more experienced here can chime in.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:22 PM   #4764
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
The tuner (Delicious Tuning) has sent a third tune which I'm now trying. Still had issues with the high idle several times today but it didn't do the low rpm bounce/stall.

No codes. Stock MAF and using the TMAP that comes with the supercharger.
Send CSG an idle log, and let's see what Zach can do.

The review of the log is free; if he thinks it can be made to run proper, then he'll let you know to purchase a tune.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
B T (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 02:28 AM   #4765
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
could also post here datazap log, the forum can also do reviews for free
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-19-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 10:20 AM   #4766
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Send CSG an idle log, and let's see what Zach can do.

The review of the log is free; if he thinks it can be made to run proper, then he'll let you know to purchase a tune.
I’m interested in this as well. I don’t have the problem to the extent described, but I do get some occasional idle bounce. It seems to happen only after the car has been run for a while, is turned off, then started again shortly after while still warm.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:44 AM   #4767
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff86 View Post
I’m interested in this as well. I don’t have the problem to the extent described, but I do get some occasional idle bounce. It seems to happen only after the car has been run for a while, is turned off, then started again shortly after while still warm.
that happens often and it s mostly because even during a Warm startup, the ecu apply its hardcoded cold start strategy for a little time, so you have the 2 injections at 50/50 and they are hardly well scaled to each other specially at that low opening time for them
So that creates the instability in rpm and afr

With stock tune it s less noticeable because idle rpm after startup are usually higher than when tuned aftermarket
you can ignore it if it doesnt cause any relevant problem to your drive
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Jeff86 (01-16-2023), Teseo (01-29-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 04:50 PM   #4768
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
that happens often and it s mostly because even during a Warm startup, the ecu apply its hardcoded cold start strategy for a little time, so you have the 2 injections at 50/50 and they are hardly well scaled to each other specially at that low opening time for them
So that creates the instability in rpm and afr

With stock tune it s less noticeable because idle rpm after startup are usually higher than when tuned aftermarket
you can ignore it if it doesnt cause any relevant problem to your drive
That’s good to hear. If Toyota’s ecu is anything like Honda, the idle “learns” over time as well. Yesterday I drove all over the place with multiple hot and cold starts and didn’t have any bounce.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff86 For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 08:56 PM   #4769
Elastiik

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi, has anyone replaced the Edelbrock coolant reservoir from V2 version to the latest "universal" one?

https://superchargersonline.com/prod...ler-reservoir/

My V2 has been leaking and they said to replace it with above one. But design/size is quite different so need to figure out the brackets/tubes myself. Hoping someone already has experience with this.
Elastiik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:54 PM   #4770
Brewster

Drives: 2013 FRS AT, Edelbrock Supercharger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastiik View Post
Hi, has anyone replaced the Edelbrock coolant reservoir from V2 version to the latest "universal" one?

https://superchargersonline.com/prod...ler-reservoir/

My V2 has been leaking and they said to replace it with above one. But design/size is quite different so need to figure out the brackets/tubes myself. Hoping someone already has experience with this.

Is the tank itself that's leaking, or the cap ?
I seem to recall a leaking cap being mentioned by others. A quick search of this thread might help.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:10 AM   #4771
GPhilly

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ (Edelbrock SC)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06ZN6 View Post
Is that your idle vacuum, (-)4.4psi? That's about 9 inhg or so. That is way too low and you have a big vaccum leak somewhere like Mike stated already. For comparison, my car pulls 17inhg at idle.
If the issue has been there since day 1 of the install and you did everything else correctly, it may be your intake manifold gaskets under the SC. I will tell you, it is VERY easy to severly damage these gaskets under the weight of the SC and have no idea what you did (ask me how I know). They fall out under gravity when lowering the SC down, they get pulled out of their grooves when shifting the supercharger around to align it, they get cut by the sharp, unbroken edges of the machined groove. Worst of all, they are uninspectable after you bolt the SC down. You might still take a look and see if you can see anything around the runner base. My first set of gaskets had to be scrapped for the reasons above. Thankfully I found it by mistake before first start up because I had to remove the SC for other reasons or I would have been chasing a problem for a long, frustrating time.

Can you replace the gaskets by undoing the bolts, lifting the SC up with a few people, and sliding new gaskets underneath?

I really don't want to disconnect the whole assembly...
GPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:16 AM   #4772
Muskoka800

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhilly View Post
Can you replace the gaskets by undoing the bolts, lifting the SC up with a few people, and sliding new gaskets underneath?

I really don't want to disconnect the whole assembly...
I was able to lift the S/C’s left side about an inch when I needed access to the clutch slave cylinder banjo bolt. I don’t recall which, if any components I removed to free it up.
I believe I simply removed the six bolts, slid a pry bar between the left side runners, lifted the unit and placed a 1 1/8” wood dowl between to support it.
After repairing the slave connection leak I was able to reach my fingers under the manifold to confirm the gasket was correctly in place before dropping the unit back into the heads. A successful solo repair.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:40 AM   #4773
GPhilly

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ (Edelbrock SC)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
I was able to lift the S/C’s left side about an inch when I needed access to the clutch slave cylinder banjo bolt. I don’t recall which, if any components I removed to free it up.
I believe I simply removed the six bolts, slid a pry bar between the left side runners, lifted the unit and placed a 1 1/8” wood dowl between to support it.
After repairing the slave connection leak I was able to reach my fingers under the manifold to confirm the gasket was correctly in place before dropping the unit back into the heads. A successful solo repair.
Awesome, thank you so much!

I think it may just be the intake, ECU bracket, and injectors I would need to remove before the 6 bolts.

I haven't confirmed or felt the vacuum leak there yet but I rechecked all my hoses and couldn't feel anything leaking... So I'm considering just replacing the gaskets hoping that was the issue.
GPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:47 PM   #4774
Brewster

Drives: 2013 FRS AT, Edelbrock Supercharger
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhilly View Post
Awesome, thank you so much!

I think it may just be the intake, ECU bracket, and injectors I would need to remove before the 6 bolts.

I haven't confirmed or felt the vacuum leak there yet but I rechecked all my hoses and couldn't feel anything leaking... So I'm considering just replacing the gaskets hoping that was the issue.
Might be worth checking SOCON's post #4529 on page 324 for a cool way to lift the blower