|
||||||
| Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
TBW Underbody Protection Panels
Bought these on a whim because I haven't seen anyone else try and and I need an aluminum base to start building ducting from.
Fits very well, most holes are slotted so you get a little wiggle room where it matters. My front bumper has been through hell and I've hacked off a lot of the underside. They supply pop clips to fasten the splitter portion that replaces the plastic one to your bumper, neat! I used zip ties for now. Engine guard that replaces the existing aluminum one fits perfectly, even adds a little clearance, now my JDL turbo manifold isn't touching it. The oil change panel even fits with a fumoto valve installed! This was $209 USD W/ free shipping, I am impressed! https://www.ebay.com/itm/354219331233
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block Last edited by DarkPira7e; 12-06-2022 at 12:28 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,348
Thanks: 1,258
Thanked 906 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
|
That looks great! Does the front piece simply replace this oem piece?:
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
As far as I know, yup! I removed that and the thick plastic splitter when I bought my car so I don't know if the coverage is the same though
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 | |
|
Member
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Location: Pflugerville,TX
Posts: 87
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
They are doing great! My front piece is just zip tied to some holes I smoked into the lip on my front bumper, they're solid. I like that there's a door that covers the oil pan drain plug
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
FWIW: You might consider using 1/4"clip nuts and screws on the bumper instead of zip ties. I'd be worried that chafing or an accidental scrap on a curb would cause the zip ties to fail. And you know, it wouldn't fail in a parking lot. It would fail when you are doing 75 on a back road.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
Quote:
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Señor Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,706
Thanks: 1,107
Thanked 769 Times in 480 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
What is the advantage these have over the stock pieces?
__________________
1974 TA22 Celica
2013 86 GT |
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
I lost my stock front undertray a very very long time ago, and wanted something aluminum I could build ducting onto. The back piece is less robust than the stock one, but lighter by a bit, and covers the oil pan completely (good and bad, if you rely on that air for cooling). Certainly not worth it if you've got all the stock assembly, cool for bling otherwise. Also much faster to remove than the stock pieces, which is something I need because my bumper is on/off all the time
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block |
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
Using advanced CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) techniques, I'm making an extender to go behind my spiltter. This might smooth out the air flowing under my car and give me 0.000025% less drag. My sheet of 1/4" composite aluminum was delivered today. Using an ocular guided reciprocating cutting tool, I should be able to cut it out and finish it this weekend. Barring any unanticipated honey do jobs.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Be Kind
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: 2020 86
Location: MD
Posts: 1,153
Thanks: 5,748
Thanked 1,342 Times in 648 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
|
Besides the prettiness? I'd say the convenient oil drain cover.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
|
The stock pieces also don't stand up to random off road excursions very well
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
I'll take off the protective covering on the final install.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| FS: JDM OEM Underbody Panels | Hanakuso | Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) | 5 | 01-19-2016 10:10 PM |
| Do Canadian 86s come with underbody panels? | funwheeldrive | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 21 | 02-16-2015 12:31 AM |
| JDM Underbody Panels | aznatama | Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) | 34 | 06-14-2014 04:38 PM |
| JDM Underbody panels | Laika | Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) | 6 | 02-05-2013 08:23 PM |
| GTA - JDM underbody panels? | wparsons | CANADA | 7 | 11-24-2012 12:18 AM |