follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2022, 04:38 AM   #1
Favato

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Custom interior trim paint

The person who owned my car in the past hydro dipped the interior with fake carbon fiber and I absoluted hated, how that I had the time and patience I removed the old stuff and re-painted.

I`m very pleased with the outcome and if in the future I get tired of it, I can simply re-spray.

For those thinking about doing something similar, I tried different methods to clean the old paint, Iso Alcohol, Acetone, MEK, paint stripper, sand pappers and finally sand blasting.

All the chemicals attack the abs plastic in different ways and rate, however not only it take forever but it may damage the pieces ( I learned the hard way).

I was a bit scared of using the sand blasting but for my surprise was by far the easiest, faster and best method. I didn`t damage anything, I was able to remove every single last piece of paint and the surface was pretty much ready for coating.

For the painting, it took me a few attempts to get it right but I was learning while doing. I tried with plastic primer but it seems to work with straight top colour on.

Enjoy
Attached Images

Favato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,105 Times in 2,052 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Wish you posted a photo showing the interior with the carbon fiber pattern.
Glad you found success changing it to suit your taste, I'm surprised the air pressure from sandblasting didn't break anything where you were holding it in the box.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
Favato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Wish you posted a photo showing the interior with the carbon fiber pattern.
Glad you found success changing it to suit your taste, I'm surprised the air pressure from sandblasting didn't break anything where you were holding it in the box.
I only have these old photos. As for the sand blast, ours operate at 60psi, but this pressure only drives the venture, when blasting the surface it cleans without imposing much force or impact, I would be careful near little tabs and such but it worked just great.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Favato For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (09-04-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 03:10 AM   #4
Ace23_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Haha, looks good!

Also, have you looked into soda blasting?

I use that type of method a lot on things that are fragile to include transmission/engine clips/sensors/etc...

It's magic and it doesn't damage parts because it's not abrasive nor does it generate heat.

Either way, glad you got it to work out for ya, and amazing work on those trim pieces.

V/R,
Ace
IG - Ace23_BRZ
Ace23_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:32 AM   #5
Favato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23_BRZ View Post
Haha, looks good!

Also, have you looked into soda blasting?

I use that type of method a lot on things that are fragile to include transmission/engine clips/sensors/etc...

It's magic and it doesn't damage parts because it's not abrasive nor does it generate heat.

Either way, glad you got it to work out for ya, and amazing work on those trim pieces.

V/R,
Ace
IG - Ace23_BRZ
To be honest I didn`t even know soda blasting existed. I used what we have in our hangar and for this porpose the sand blaster also worked great.

The last parts just arrived from Japan, need to find some time to finish with the paint but I`m very pleased with the outcome. The thing tho, I can always re-spray since I know it work just fine.

Thank you for the comment.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:03 AM   #6
Favato

Update,

All done now, very happy about it.
Attached Images