follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2022, 01:25 PM   #29
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
difference between a repair shop and a dealership service center. service centers just get 'em in, and get 'em out. if you're still struggling, go to an independent shop. no reason to go to the dealer for everything.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:32 PM   #30
CelicaJoe

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkTrax View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you have anything plugged into the center console. The Keyless access receiver is right by the shifter. I have seen Inductive phone chargers and other electronic device wires around the console cause exactly what you're dealing with.

One BRZ had a dash cam cig plug that was made so bad it was causing so much interference the keyless access wouldn't start. Unplugged it, started, plug back in, wouldn't start.

I would try and eliminate any aftermarket anything near the center console, or even remove the console and make sure the keyless receiver isn't damaged or partially plugged in.

I have a phone charger plugged in there and dash cam plugged into the OBD reader. Unplugged both, pulled the center console and radio out and checked everything there. Everything is plugged in tight. Tried wiggling things around a bit to see if anything was possibly loose. Can’t find anything unusual
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:03 PM   #31
BlkTrax

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
...They noticed a bad accident on the car fax. Happened in 2017, lost control and car spun hitting a bunch of wooden posts. Driver side curtain and seat airbag deployed. Had the airbag module reset by myairbags, replaced the driver side seat and curtain airbag. .

Never imagined this could be related to an accident from 5 years ago, anyone have any input?
So this has me thinking the touch/proximity sensor or door harness may be damaged. I've also seen when these sensors get hit, they look ok and operate for a while, then water gets in and corrodes the circuit. Only way I know to test them is with a dealer tool and basically, you move the key fob close to each sensor and it gives feedback to the laptop.

When there is a short like this in the keyless access system, basically it all shuts down, and the fail safe is as you do, touch the key to the button to Verify to allow to start.

BlkTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:10 AM   #32
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Usually, RKE and Immobilizer are two separate systems.

Touching the "button" on the door handle, the car's remote keyless entry system will ping the remote with the antenna that's inside the door handle, and the remote will answer back and remote unlock the car.

Starting the car uses an entirely different antenna inside the car. Some companies put it in the button, some put it in the cupholder, some put a slot for the key under the dash, that's the antenna you have to get close to when your remote battery dies, because that antenna can provide the energy for the immo transponder to answer back, like an RFID tag. In the picture above, that's the electrical key oscillator.

Keep in mind, a key can go bad. I assume you've only got one? You couldn't possibly have omitted trying the other one right? You couldn't possibly have forgotten to tell us about it right?

Hint: even an independent shop can "test" a remote. At work I used a Bartec Tech400 Pro to program TPMS sensors and that has functions to "listen" to an RKE signal, or a car's antenna pinging a key and it answering back. Also, many pro-level scan tools will be able to view live data and trouble codes for the smart key system. There is literally no need for this "maybe it's the body harness give us 3000$" bullshit.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:49 PM   #33
BlkTrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Usually, RKE and Immobilizer are two separate systems.
manual de servicio:

Chapter: ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM/SMART ENTRY & START SYSTEM > ENTRY & START SYSTEM (ENTRY FUNCTION)

Verse: All Door Entry Lock/Unlock Functions and Wireless Functions do not Operate

And unto CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION:
If neither the entry door lock/unlock function nor the wireless door lock/unlock function works, it might be due to interference from external radio waves, or due to a defect in the key or a signal circuit located between the door control receiver and the collation ECM (smart key ECM ASSY). The signal circuit is shared by the entry function and the wireless door lock function.

Entry cancel function (manual operation)
NOTE:
While the entry and start system is canceled, it is possible to lock and unlock the doors with the wireless operation, and the start system can be operated by holding the key against the engine switch.
(a) The following functions are disabled when the entry and start system is canceled.
1. Entry unlock/lock functions
2. Entry ignition function
3. Key lock-in prevention function
4. Entry back door open/lock function
5. Entry warning functions

Collation ECM (smart key ECM ASSY)
The collation ECM (smart key ECM ASSY) transmits a request code to each electrical key antenna. It identifies and checks the ID code transmitted from the electrical key transmitter SUB ASSY and then transmits a signal to an appropriate ECM according to the function operated.
When an ignition operation is performed, the collation ECM (smart key ECM ASSY) exchanges encrypted codes with the steering lock ECM (steering lock actuator ASSY).* 1
When an ignition operation is performed, the collation ECM (smart key ECM ASSY) exchanges encrypted codes with the ID code box (immobilizer code ECM).* 2
Old 03-13-2022, 03:36 PM   #34
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
1. ENGINE IMMOBILISER SYSTEM DESCRIPTION

(a) The engine immobiliser system is a system that prevents the engine from starting when the key ID and the codes registered in the main body ECU (network gateway computer) do not match.
Quote:
1. WIRELESS DOOR CONTROL SYSTEM DESCRIPTION

(a) This system locks and unlocks the vehicle doors remotely. The wireless control system has the following features:

The door control receiver performs the code identification procedure and the main body ECU (network gateway ECU) operates the door lock control. A serial data link is provided for communication between the receiver and main body ECU (network gateway ECU).
A key-integrated type transmitter is used and it contains the following 4 switches: the door lock switch, door unlock switch, luggage open switch and panic switch.
So yeah.

Anyway. if there is an issue with his RKE putting the smart key ecm into entry cancel function, the question still stands: Why? And my advice still stands: Instead of asking on the internet if people can see the electrons in the control modules and read the fault data that is putting the car into entry cancel, it might be best to consult someone with a scan tool that can actually do that.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #35
BlkTrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
So yeah. the question still stands: Why?
Because in post #23 , the vehicle history was in a Driver side collision, and may or may not have been repaired properly. Along with the Hack dealership that doesn't want to properly diagnose the issue.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:25 PM   #36
CelicaJoe

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I do have two remotes and the times that it had randomly started working, they both would work. After my previous post of trying to wiggle everything around a bit, I messed around a little more, gave up, and started plugging everything back in and putting it back. After plugging the heated seat sensors, center console “cig charger”, push start button sensor back in and shoving a little aggressively on the buttons housing to snap it into place, everything worked again. Tried messing with all of these again to get it to fail so I could pinpoint where the issue was and no matter what I did I couldn’t get it to fail again. So as it sits right now, everything is working and has been for about 16 hours. Took it on some bumpy roads thinking making it would jar it around, no changes. It’s making me think it’s likely in the wiring harness, but still I’m uncertain.

I also really appreciate all of your guys help. Sorry I’m not the most technically inclined but I do read through it all and try to learn with each experience. The electrical side of cars has never been my forte unfortunately.
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #37
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkTrax View Post
Because in post #23 , the vehicle history was in a Driver side collision, and may or may not have been repaired properly. Along with the Hack dealership that doesn't want to properly diagnose the issue.
No, that's a theory. There is very little use in theorizing about an accident 5 years ago when no one has peeped at the error codes it has now.