follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2021, 01:23 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,381 Times in 7,414 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Most of the Octane boosters are specious at best: "Raise octane 10 points!" That's converting 91 octane into 92... big whoop.

VP Octanium or Boostane are the droids you're looking for.

MMT is really effective at increasing octane but is not copacetic with emissions equipment over the long term if you have to use a lot. Example of effectiveness of MMT: 6.4oz of Boostane Premium will convert 5 gallons of 92 pump gas into 100 Octane.

I have dyno'd with boostane treated fuel (92 converted to 100) out of curiosity against straight 100 oct Race Fuel and we were able to advance the timing the same for each without detonation and made the same WHP (within 1/2 hp). The claims are real. Compared to regular 92 pump gas, 100 octane (either race gas or treated with boostane) was worth 12whp by being able to advance the timing on a naturally aspirated engine.

I have no catalytic converters because it's a race car. I do not advocate removing emissions equipment on street cars.

What you CAN do is map switching. You could treat your fuel and then create a map for that treated fuel. Then you drive around on normal pump gas but then when you do a track day, you can run treated fuel and switch maps for the extra power. That shouldn't damage your emission systems since it's only occasional use. They also have a lower concentration they claim is safe for emission equipment but that's up to you decide if those claims are true. I also think VP uses a formula with a lower concentration of mmt vs Boostane but I don't have confirmation of that.

MMT burns orange - so you exhaust tips and spark plugs will turn orange but it's not really hurting the plugs.
Thanks for posting your findings. I have always been hesitant to tell people what you told me as you spent the money and dyno time on it.