follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #4075
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
Enough to slightly feel it, and not enough to lose sleep over. It's just like the "higher center of gravity" some people mention. You will NEVER feel it. And if you do, some professional racing teams are looking for your talents.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah had mine now for about a year, only about a 1500 miles on it. I had a DT tune then had a tuner get a hold of it. The drag you don't feel that much. When you are hitting close to max torque just before 3k (yes it does peek a little more at higher rpm), you just don't care. It's there and if you've driven it NA enough you might notice but it's no big deal.

I disagree slightly on the weight or CG issue. I think it's a weight concentration issue more, but certainly the CG as changed because of it, especially with this SC. You feel it in high speed corning or slalom courses. I think that's why many choose a Vortech or Jackson for racing applications as it doesn't concentrate the weight or have it as high, but I know some using the EB on track too.(me) While I've removed enough weight in various areas of the car that about equal the additional weight of the SC, it's now concentrated in the front and it makes it want to understeer a little. Day to day driving no you don't notice. 120 mph high speed turns you feel it trying to break loose more and requires some suspension adjustment to settle it. Why I've always recommended upgraded coilovers with this SC. My hypermax do a pretty good job.

Piggy backing, I do think as I did a year ago the Dbox is not ideal. It's a band aid fix at best and my tuner was pretty much able to take care of the flutter. It may still have a little at the 6.5k to 7k and my tuner was totally cool with building a secondary remote MAP sensor set up if I wanted. He wasn't cool with just relocating the MAP on a single setup as he said that does affect other MAP inputs (probably temp) but a dual setup he thought would be cool. I didn't at the time but I may if I flex fuel it. It gets hot down south and running E85 would keep the block a little cooler on track, why I haven't tracked it that much. I feel sorry for B_T who just burned a hole in the block. Again daily driving, doesn't matter. Had to do over again, I might do it differently but might not. Each application has pros and cons.
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AKITA For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #4076
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys,
I'm relatively new to the forum. I'm contemplating buying an Edelbrock SC but I'm curious about how the updated bypass valve performs now. I read a lot of threads about how the bypass valve needs to replaced regularly. Has anyone purchased an installed the newer kit with the updated actuator ? This is the only issue that is preventing from pulling the trigger on the purchase.
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:27 PM   #4077
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
Hey guys,
I'm relatively new to the forum. I'm contemplating buying an Edelbrock SC but I'm curious about how the updated bypass valve performs now. I read a lot of threads about how the bypass valve needs to replaced regularly. Has anyone purchased an installed the newer kit with the updated actuator ? This is the only issue that is preventing from pulling the trigger on the purchase.
I haven't had to replace my updated valve, but it's honestly not that bad to do. Think I replaced it one time and then preemptively with the updated version. supercharged for 50k miles now.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #4078
dynarun55

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
I haven't had to replace my updated valve, but it's honestly not that bad to do. Think I replaced it one time and then preemptively with the updated version. supercharged for 50k miles now.
That's good to hear. Have you installed any additions to the bolt on kit ? When did you buy your kit ?
Old 05-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #4079
B T

Quote:
Thats good to hear. Have you installed any additions to the bolt on kit ? When did you buy your kit ?
Just about every bolt on you can buy and a built block now after the original failed at 45k into being supercharged. Definitely get the catch cans and an oil cooler.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #4080
dynarun55

Quote:
Just about every bolt on you can buy and a built block now after the original failed at 45k into being supercharged. Definitely get the catch cans and an oil cooler.
For sure..
Sorry to hear about thr engine failure. Any particular reason for the failure.. Also there is this theory that the higher low end torque on the Edelbrocks and Harrops make FA20 stock engine vulnerable ? Relatively compared to a JRSC ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #4081
Auto_egr

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

B_T you were running a smaller pulley and bad E85 when it blew right? Just curious and I hope your new block treats you well. Did you go with IAG and are they building the whole long block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Auto_egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #4082
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey guys,
None seem to have failed since the major update. It's still fairly recent, but Edelbrock backs their product.

PM to order.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #4083
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
My Edelbrock SC is coming the 11th…I am just using it for a DD with backroad drives so keeping it in the mid 250s.

I’ll be adding an oil cooler and catch can in the next couple months, but it does not get very hot in the PNW
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (05-15-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:22 PM   #4084
dynarun55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
None seem to have failed since the major update. It's still fairly recent, but Edelbrock backs their product.

PM to order.
Will do soon. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #4085
B T

Quote:
For sure..
Sorry to hear about thr engine failure. Any particular reason for the failure.. Also there is this theory that the higher low end torque on the Edelbrocks and Harrops make FA20 stock engine vulnerable ? Relatively compared to a JRSC ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_egr View Post
B_T you were running a smaller pulley and bad E85 when it blew right? Just curious and I hope your new block treats you well. Did you go with IAG and are they building the whole long block?
I wasn't doing anything but running on cruise control with a E85 when it blew. I was an hour and a half into a two hour trip at the time. Stock pulley size. Never figured out exactly what caused it. I believe the rods were weak due to some misfires from poor quality gas earlier in the week. I'm running on a stock compression IAG closed deck built block with a thicker head gasket and 2.75 pulley now.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #4086
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The instructions mention 50:50 coolant. What does that mean? Audi VW coolant? Toyota rated coolant?
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #4087
B T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfarr View Post
The instructions mention 50:50 coolant. What does that mean? Audi VW coolant? Toyota rated coolant?
They aren't picky. Use whatever you put in your radiator.
The Following User Says Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
dpfarr (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #4088
Glitch

Drives: 2019 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
They aren't picky. Use whatever you put in your radiator.
I used a different color than what is in my radiator to make troubleshooting leaks easier in the future.
Glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glitch For This Useful Post:
dpfarr (05-07-2021)