follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which social media platform(s) does the most net-harm to society?
Facebook 30 62.50%
Linkedin 9 18.75%
Twitter 25 52.08%
Instagram 10 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
They are all pretty shitty anymore. I don't comment on anything but positive or hobby related things on FB.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #16
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 9,697
Thanks: 26,779
Thanked 12,750 Times in 6,320 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hate to throw the "generation" thing into the mix but it has been my experience that this is a bigger issue with younger people. I can assure you that most of the "old" guys are likely to say the same things to somebody’s face that they will type on a screen. I know I do!
The only difference may be that the conversation may be shorter because face you face you can figure out if you are talking to somebody that is interested, confused or just a fool much quicker.
Maybe the case in Canada, but I know plenty of old people that say different things behind people's back or when they think it cannot be traced to their identity than they do to somebody's face.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #17
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy
 
BrahmaBull1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 589
Thanks: 1,271
Thanked 446 Times in 248 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hate to throw the "generation" thing into the mix but it has been my experience that this is a bigger issue with younger people. I can assure you that most of the "old" guys are likely to say the same things to somebody’s face that they will type on a screen. I know I do!
The only difference may be that the conversation may be shorter because face you face you can figure out if you are talking to somebody that is interested, confused or just a fool much quicker.
It is amazing how verbiage changes when you have to deal with the possible physical repercussions of your words. I am 30, so I grew up with keyboard warriors and basement physicists.
__________________
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #18
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Maybe the case in Canada, but I know plenty of old people that say different things behind people's back or when they think it cannot be traced to their identity than they do to somebody's face.
Oh being nice up front and a jerk behind the back is a whole different matter. He was saying people will be assholes on line but not say anything in real life. I promise I will be an asshole either way (if I am goinfg to be one at all that is).
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #19
cjd
Senior Member
 
cjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2017 BRZ
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,291
Thanks: 1,260
Thanked 2,933 Times in 1,716 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
FB actively tries to feed you more of the same, making confirmation bias far too easy. Twitter not far behind, but I've found it slightly less troubling.
In the end, they all lend themselves to conscious abuse yet have no liability for the results. That's a fine line, and really applies to the internet as a whole. Including this forum.


Anyone can appear to be an authority to the ignorant (as in, no existing knowledge).
__________________
Second chance build... or whatever it is.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #20
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy
 
BrahmaBull1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 589
Thanks: 1,271
Thanked 446 Times in 248 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
FB actively tries to feed you more of the same, making confirmation bias far too easy. Twitter not far behind, but I've found it slightly less troubling.
In the end, they all lend themselves to conscious abuse yet have no liability for the results. That's a fine line, and really applies to the internet as a whole. Including this forum.


Anyone can appear to be an authority to the ignorant (as in, no existing knowledge).
The shadow-banning makes me nervous - politics aside.
__________________
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #21
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator
 
FR-S2GT86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,411
Thanks: 211
Thanked 1,001 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh being nice up front and a jerk behind the back is a whole different matter. He was saying people will be assholes on line but not say anything in real life. I promise I will be an asshole either way (if I am goinfg to be one at all that is).
Tcoat, I'd like to be an asshole in the same room as you sometime. Perhaps we may be able to decide who the better asshole is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
My pubes are shaped like the number 86. There for I’m car. Derp
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #22
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese
 
ScoobsMcGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 3,006
Thanks: 6,837
Thanked 7,049 Times in 2,345 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
If you have a LinkedIn profile, the vast majority of spam you receive at work, as well as BEC, phishing, and even malware lures are due to bots crawling it.

People who want to extort a company by ransoming their files do not care about violating the TOS.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #23
weederr33
Airborne at your service
 
weederr33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 6,422
Thanks: 4,582
Thanked 5,716 Times in 2,995 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
These are simply based off my observations, so take it as you will.
I view Facebook and Twitter to be major problems within social media. Now, I say this because they are more commonly associated with my generation. Instagram has it's handful of 'influencers' but I've witness far more spread of lies and opinions on Facebook. Twitter because of an individual I shall not name, but we all know who he is. Instagram, however, I can tweak the algorithm to show me basically only what I want to see. Which is cars, animals, and fitness stuff. I also avoid viewing stories of those who I know are 'woke' and feel the need to constantly post politically-charged or very opinionated things. Not that I agree or disagree, as I get annoyed even seeing the same meme after about 3 or 4 times. I just get tired of constantly seeing the same thing over and over.
__________________
Series.Yellowbird - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122135

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #24
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy
 
BrahmaBull1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 589
Thanks: 1,271
Thanked 446 Times in 248 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
These are simply based off my observations, so take it as you will.
I view Facebook and Twitter to be major problems within social media. Now, I say this because they are more commonly associated with my generation. Instagram has it's handful of 'influencers' but I've witness far more spread of lies and opinions on Facebook. Twitter because of an individual I shall not name, but we all know who he is. Instagram, however, I can tweak the algorithm to show me basically only what I want to see. Which is cars, animals, and fitness stuff. I also avoid viewing stories of those who I know are 'woke' and feel the need to constantly post politically-charged or very opinionated things. Not that I agree or disagree, as I get annoyed even seeing the same meme after about 3 or 4 times. I just get tired of constantly seeing the same thing over and over.
The thing about FB that gets me is I have watched entire families being torn apart in a comment section; a son blocking his dad for not “seeing their view” and people encouraging him to “cut ties with family” over a political disagreement, personal family issues aired out to the public. It’s sad and grotesque
__________________
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?

Last edited by BrahmaBull1990; 03-03-2021 at 10:59 PM.
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #25
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata
 
Capt Spaulding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Location: On the Border
Posts: 1,881
Thanks: 2,016
Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,201 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Every village has an idiot. This is nothing new. The internet just connected all our villages so the idiots can respond to each other's ramblings.
I agree to a point. A secondary effect appears to be the creation of new idiots. Now every community seems to have more than one and they are reproducing like rabbits.
__________________
Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:48 PM   #26
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
The thing about FB that gets me is I have watched entire families being torn apart in a comment section; a son blocking his dad for not “seeing their view” and people encouraging him to “cut ties with family” over a political disagreement, personal family issues aired out to the public. It’s sad and grotesque

We have been dealing with this. A large part of my extended family has split over current affairs based off FB arguments. It is utterly INSANE.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:17 AM   #27
Celica00
Senior Member
 
Celica00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 86
Location: utah
Posts: 1,156
Thanks: 842
Thanked 798 Times in 434 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
IMO They're all pretty terrible with Youtube being the least terrible because you can just avoid the comments and just enjoy your videos.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:36 AM   #28
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®
 
Captain Snooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Red Herring
Location: australia
Posts: 7,830
Thanks: 4,058
Thanked 9,576 Times in 4,205 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
.
Name:  duty_calls.png
Views: 637
Size:  13.8 KB
__________________
My car is completely stock except for all the mods.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Media is Runing Your Life! Mr.Impreza Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 36 03-29-2017 08:06 AM
Anything going on with 86/brz platform? Vr4gasmtt Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 19 06-12-2016 01:55 PM
Social Media Idiots VMRamos Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 121 12-16-2015 09:35 PM
Scion Hawaii Social Media Superstar Contest bigmatz Hawaii 0 08-22-2012 09:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.