follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #365
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not for Europe
Old 11-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #366
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,640 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
They say it will "probably" have that engine/power and where are they getting 252 HP turbo from? What source? That engine is 260 HP in the Ascent.

Who is feeding this info? If they don't say the info is from Subaru, it only further reinforces that auto journalism is not really journalism. Like a chiropractor isn't really a doctor.

And too bad if Europe didn't support the platform. I still dont know what new car is competitive price wise in European markets, but seriously what is even close? I'm not counting hot hatches except maybe from BMW.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #367
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
and i'm off to look at importing FTO's again...
From a time, long long ago, when Mitsubishi still knew how to make good looking, sporty cars. Before they gave up completely to focus on nasty, ugly SUVs.

God I miss the 1990s JDM sportscar era. So many options and choices back then, RWD, AWD, FWD, small, medium, large, cheap and cheerful through to supercars. All with Japanese build quality and reliability. Today we just have the MX-5, the twins, the 370/400Z, the Zupra, then two increasingly irrelevant supercars in the GT-R and NSX. Back then we had the FTO, Eclipse, GTO, MX-5, MX-6, RX-7, Celica, Supra, Silvia, 300ZX, Skyline GT-R, Integra, Prelude, CRX, S2000, NSX... the good old days when Japanese brands made multiple sportscars instead of offering just one, if any at all.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
alone1i (11-08-2020), Irace86.2.0 (11-07-2020), soundman98 (11-07-2020), StE92ve (11-09-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #368
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
They say it will "probably" have that engine/power and where are they getting 252 HP turbo from? What source? That engine is 260 HP in the Ascent.

Who is feeding this info? If they don't say the info is from Subaru, it only further reinforces that auto journalism is not really journalism. Like a chiropractor isn't really a doctor.

And too bad if Europe didn't support the platform. I still dont know what new car is competitive price wise in European markets, but seriously what is even close? I'm not counting hot hatches except maybe from BMW.
The 252 turbo was the Bestcar magazine guess way back in 2019. Everybody ran with that number for a while. Then it went up. Then it went down. Then it went down again. They have guessed so many numbers now that no matter what it is people here (we know who they are) will scream "see they were right!"
spike021 (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #369
Red-86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The Cayman S with the 2.5 H4 is arguably the faster and better car to get than the GTS with the 4.0 H6. Between the tuning potential and the low end torque, it will perform better, especially considering the long gears, but it would be hard to pass up a high revving NA H6, even if it is less usable just for the character, sound, NA response and need to work the motor.
Comes back to what you want from a sportscar. Max performance or the total sensory experience, including engine note and character. For me it is a no brainer - I’m no racecar driver, and any Cayman comfortably exceeds the limits of my ability, so I’ll take the NA H6 and glory in that beautiful 6 cylinder howl.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #370
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
notice the date of this article. October 8th, citing that they spoke directly with Subaru UK’s new managing director John Hurtig. no europe 86 is nothing new, the others just hadn't heard it yet.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publ...th-suvs/205325
Old 11-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #371
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
From a time, long long ago, when Mitsubishi still knew how to make good looking, sporty cars. Before they gave up completely to focus on nasty, ugly SUVs.

God I miss the 1990s JDM sportscar era. So many options and choices back then, RWD, AWD, FWD, small, medium, large, cheap and cheerful through to supercars. All with Japanese build quality and reliability. Today we just have the MX-5, the twins, the 370/400Z, the Zupra, then two increasingly irrelevant supercars in the GT-R and NSX. Back then we had the FTO, Eclipse, GTO, MX-5, MX-6, RX-7, Celica, Supra, Silvia, 300ZX, Skyline GT-R, Integra, Prelude, CRX, S2000, NSX... the good old days when Japanese brands made multiple sportscars instead of offering just one, if any at all.
Forgot some. You may not have had two of them there though?

And what I had

alone1i (11-08-2020), JesseG (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #372
Red-86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Forgot some. You may not have had two of them there though?

I mentioned that one, but I used the JDM name, GTO.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_GTO
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #373
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post

I mentioned that one, but I used the JDM name, GTO.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_GTO
Ah yes I missed it since I was looking for 3000!
JesseG (11-07-2020), Red-86 (11-09-2020), spike021 (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #374
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RBON View Post
I certainly don't expect it to weigh less. I'll be happy if it is less than 100lbs heavier. Most cars get heavier and bigger in each subsequent generation. The ND stands out for getting smaller and lighter. The 370Z was also lighter than the 350Z when it launched (comparing similar trim levels). Hopefully we get some published weight specs on the 18th.

My gut instinct is that they will keep the weight almost identical to the current twins. That was always a goal for this car from the beginning while being cost efficient. I’m sure they have looked at the ND Miata and all the steps Mazda took to keep weight down. None of it is that expensive if Mazda can affordably price the ND. I mean Toyota has been leading with composites and carbon composites, I would be shocked if some of that didn’t make its way into the twins. Or at the very least on higher spec models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #375
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,529 Times in 6,205 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
My gut instinct is that they will keep the weight almost identical to the current twins. That was always a goal for this car from the beginning while being cost efficient. I’m sure they have looked at the ND Miata and all the steps Mazda took to keep weight down. None of it is that expensive if Mazda can affordably price the ND. I mean Toyota has been leading with composites and carbon composites, I would be shocked if some of that didn’t make its way into the twins. Or at the very least on higher spec models.

Here's the problem, add power/torque/performance, add weight and structure, and supporting equipment. That structure is expensive if you use manufacturing techniques and materials to make it light. The twins are light BECAUSE they didn't focus on performance. If there is going to be greater numeric performance, you are going to be getting a trade-off somewhere. The Cayman, multiple times the cost of an 86 with only 2 seats and less cargo, still weighs ~200lb more than the gen1 twin.

On the other hand, if there is no performance increase, it's going to be hard to get new customers. Add in the idea of possible performance variants though, and now you need a beefier supporting structure.

Also crash protection etc will drive weight up as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
spike021 (11-07-2020), Tcoat (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #376
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Here's the problem, add power/torque/performance, add weight and structure, and supporting equipment. That structure is expensive if you use manufacturing techniques and materials to make it light. The twins are light BECAUSE they didn't focus on performance. If there is going to be greater numeric performance, you are going to be getting a trade-off somewhere. The Cayman, multiple times the cost of an 86 with only 2 seats and less cargo, still weighs ~200lb more than the gen1 twin.

On the other hand, if there is no performance increase, it's going to be hard to get new customers. Add in the idea of possible performance variants though, and now you need a beefier supporting structure.

Also crash protection etc will drive weight up as well.

Sure if you add power that usually increases weight, unless you are looking at cars in the exotic territory. I think, and just my opinion, that Toyota/Subie will use some weight savings tricks that won’t cost a lot. And maybe that will only offset any performance upgrades, so we end up with a net zero weight difference. Also, if this ends up on Subaru’s global platform (don’t yell at me Tcoat ) there are weight savings in that chassis, and a stiffer structure.

Look, I’m being realistic about how much can be expected of the 2nd gen twins. And I really don’t want any radical changes. More torque would be SO nice, continue with the more compliant ride of the later model 1st gen cars, and maybe upgrade the interior a little. I will be very happy. Oh, and improve the 2nd gear synchro!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Opie (11-08-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #377
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,529 Times in 6,205 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Sure if you add power that usually increases weight, unless you are looking at cars in the exotic territory. I think, and just my opinion, that Toyota/Subie will use some weight savings tricks that won’t cost a lot. And maybe that will only offset any performance upgrades, so we end up with a net zero weight difference. Also, if this ends up on Subaru’s global platform (don’t yell at me Tcoat ) there are weight savings in that chassis, and a stiffer structure.

Look, I’m being realistic about how much can be expected of the 2nd gen twins. And I really don’t want any radical changes. More torque would be SO nice, continue with the more compliant ride of the later model 1st gen cars, and maybe upgrade the interior a little. I will be very happy. Oh, and improve the 2nd gear synchro!!!

I bet the weight will be somewhere between 2900 and 3100lb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 11:16 PM   #378
Tcoat

Quote:

Quote:

The Miata is not a reasonable comparison and Toyota could learn nothing from them. It took almost 30 years for the Miata to get a significant power bump and in that period new tech and design was able to keep the weight relatively stable. There is nothing special about the Miata weight for what it is.
The Twins on the other hand were built using much newer designs only 7 years ago. Short of pumping expensive materials into them there is very little that can be done to save weight while keeping costs in line. Any significant increase in power, "upgraded" interior materials, or other "improvements" will add weight. There is no getting around it without raising costs and then the price. That would not go over well at all. As it stands no matter what they do people will scream it isn't enough since it still isn't a supercar at a econobox price point.

I have said for years that the new Global platform was probable. I just want them to actually deny or confirm that so I can either eat my hat or gloat whichever is appropriate.
alone1i (11-08-2020), Opie (11-08-2020), Spuds (11-07-2020)

Closed Thread