follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #15
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
All depends on you. If you have no intention of ever taking the car to a track, you probably won’t need an oil cooler, brake pads, etc. Cosmetic, exhaust sound mods, etc are popular.

Drive the car a while and see what starts to bug you (if anything), then see if there is a way to address that. The 4K torque dip was kind of bugging me, so I’m doing flexfuel and a tune. I might consider headers too, but I’m not really wanting the car to get too loud. Like any car, there’s always a trade off to mods and sometimes unintended consequences.

Mods are solutions to problems. If you haven’t identified a problem, no need to start implementing solutions.
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #16
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
1. Clutch pedal adjustment

2. Mtec shift spring, Mtec clutch spring, Verus throttle pedal spacer

3. Perrin Steering Rack Lockdown, Whiteline KDT922, Whiteline KDT925, Whiteline KDT926

4. Coilovers (recommended: RCE SS-1, CSG Tein Flex-A) and rear lower control arms (recommended: SPC , Verus)

5. Header (recommended: Tomei UEL, JDL 4-2-1, ACE 350) and EcuTek tune

Last edited by Mike_ZN6; 07-31-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:21 PM   #17
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
TRADE IT FOR A MCLAREN. ANYTHING LESS IS A WASTE OF MONEY WHEN YOU'RE DOING 340MPH ON THE BACK STRETCH OF LAGUNA SECA IN YOUR PRIVATE TRACK TIME

is it really that odd that i use my car like a normal 'car', and drive it on the street?
why? (08-01-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:44 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinz_TheNewtype View Post
Hey everyone, newb here and still learning about my 86. Just curious what others on here recommend for tasteful mods that are proven to do the car good. Had a lot of owners tell me that some bolt one are just paper weights so I figured I’d ask the community for some input. Thanks guys
Hi ya, Sinz_TheNewtype and welcome to our forum -

You're in luck, you bought a car that doesn't need any mods to be good looking and fun to drive. Just follow the maintenance schedule and wash and wax it from time to time.

There ya go -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (07-31-2020), soundman98 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:08 PM   #19
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post

is it really that odd that i use my car like a normal 'car', and drive it on the street?
Not at all. As previously pointed out, only small percentage of our cars see track time.

I sometimes regret my modifications and my involvement in motorsport.I've managed to turn my BRZ from a great little road car into a bone-rattling, offensively loud, skittish in the wet, uneven tyre wearing, hard to start in winter, panel damaged and devalued track car. But I have a heap of $5 plastic trophies as compensation.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Purist; 07-31-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Purist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Purist For This Useful Post:
why? (08-01-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:14 PM   #20
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Why not look at some interior mods? A cool new shift boot and shift knob might suit your fancy. I'm still trying to spruce up my interior, I just painted a bunch of stuff black..
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:54 PM   #21
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Not at all. As previously pointed out, only small percentage of our cars see track time.

I sometimes regret my modifications and my involvement in motorsport.I've managed to turn my BRZ from a great little road car into a bone-rattling, offensively loud, skittish in the wet, uneven tyre wearing, hard to start in winter, panel damaged and devalued track car. But I have a heap of $5 plastic trophies as compensation.

It happens lol You can always go back to stockish

There's a misconception that you need to do a bunch of mods to track the car. A basic service, brake pads, brake fluid, tires (maybe) and you're good to go. I meet more people at track that only go out a few times a year and do just that. Heavily modded twins are the rarity from what I can see.

OP enjoy the car for a year or so and then think about what changes you may want to make.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
why? (08-01-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:57 PM   #22
Purist

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
It happens lol You can always go back to stockish

There's a misconception that you need to do a bunch of mods to track the car. A basic service, brake pads, brake fluid, tires (maybe) and you're good to go.
... unless you want some $5 plastic trophies.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:04 AM   #23
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
... unless you want to be competitive.

For sure

Most going to track are just having a bit of fun and drive it to work the next day. That's all I'm trying to say. The majority don't go on to be competitive.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:09 AM   #24
soundman98

Quote:

so then why are all the recommendations about track usage?

honestly, i'm just getting really tired of the expectation that everyone lives 5 minutes from a track, and track time is the easiest thing to set up in the universe.

the nearest track for me is about 2 hours away. every time i've looked into it, they require a 2-day introduction for new drivers. there's no 'toe in the water' with my nearest tracks. it's hardcore, full commitment, 2 day driver training sessions, and you better have your own gear, or don't even bother showing up. tried talking to the local cone racing guys a while back, they laughed at my-then car selection, and told me the ONLY way to go was a fully prepped, stripped out and caged miata, which also requires a tow vehicle and a trailer...

i can spare 1 day, but it means that i have a minimum 4-hour round trip drive, 2 hours early in the morning (4am start time) after working 50 hours, and 2 hours drive back after a long day in the hot sun, while beating on my only way to/from that destination-- tell me all the ways this can go wrong between personal fatigue, and unexpected maintenance items...

i will likely never, ever get to a track. i bought the car for having fun. pulling vacation days and favors, having to buy tons of equipment for something i'm not even sure i want to do, and driving long distances just to be told how i'm doing it wrong doesn't sound like any sort of fun to me.
7 skulls (08-02-2020), new2subaru (08-01-2020), why? (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 12:29 AM   #25
Purist

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
so then why are all the recommendations about track usage
I don't know. Maybe racers overrepresent themselves because they are passionate and want to try and stir that passion in others, or just love talking about racing.

You are right about track days and competitions being a expensive, exhausting f***around. And they are HARD on your car. I think you nailed it by saying it's not something you're sure you want to do. For me, it's something I've wanted to do for 20 years.

Like I said, I have regrets. But I keep entering events because motor sport is my passion. If it's not yours then just enjoy your car the way you like to.

Have you investigated autocross or similar as an entry level competition?

Old 08-01-2020, 01:48 AM   #26
soundman98

Quote:
I don't know. Maybe racers overrepresent themselves because they are passionate and want to try and stir that passion in others, or just love talking about racing.

You are right about track days and competitions being a expensive, exhausting f***around. And they are HARD on your car. I think you nailed it by saying it's not something you're sure you want to do. For me, it's something I've wanted to do for 20 years.

Like I said, I have regrets. But I keep entering events because motor sport is my passion. If it's not yours then just enjoy your car the way you like to.

Have you investigated autocross or similar as an entry level competition?

i have. but there's what i call 'class warfare' in most of them. upgrade the wheels and brakes puts you in a different class, etc. i don't care about warfare. i want to pull up to the line, drive, get a time at the end--i don't need or want to partake in rankings, status, or classes. i just want to fight against my own time, or just lose myself into the methodology of revmatching around an endless line of cones.

i like figuring things out myself. i'm looking for an environment i can do that. all the track day's i've found s far seem to cater to those that want to be taught by people that already know--a sort of cutting the learning curve to save time. i'm not interested in just knowing, i'm interested in learning myself, in the discovery of it--this is a critical reason that i own this car, and continue to own one despite all the logical and logistical reasons that i don't need it-- it teaches and coaches in a way few other cars do. i'm not saying that i can't learn from more experienced drivers, i'm saying that i enjoy learning and teaching myself more, and i've already committed to part of the formula that works best for me.

there's a group in california that does exactly this, trackmasters, that a buddy has been having a lot of fun with. i haven't found anything similar anywhere else from what i've found so far.
new2subaru (08-01-2020), why? (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 01:56 AM   #27
Purist

In Australia we have a class called Regularity. Points are scored by getting consistent times, not fast times. No classes whatsoever and you can go as fast or slow as you like. Any mods you want or none at all. Fantastic class, $1000 Camrys vs ex rally WRXs.

soundman98 (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 02:00 AM   #28
soundman98

Quote:
In Australia we have a class called Regularity. Points are scored by getting consistent times, not fast times. No classes whatsoever and you can go as fast or slow as you like. Any mods you want or none at all. Fantastic class, $1000 Camrys vs ex rally WRXs.

what group is that with, and do they have a US counterpart?