follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #15
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've got a lot of rumble with my setup... Stock frontpipe, stockmidpipe (with extra vibrant resonator installed). Gruppe-s UEL header and top speed pro-1 axleback. I can feel the rumble through even the headrest, and yet its perfect for daily driving. No rasp, no buzzing. The extra resonator is a must.

If you want to make this 4 cylinder sound good you have to put in time, effort, and money.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
AdrianSaldana (08-16-2016)
Old 06-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #16
mfragoso18
Certified Ricer

Drives: 2015 FRS Release Series 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
I've got a lot of rumble with my setup... Stock frontpipe, stockmidpipe (with extra vibrant resonator installed). Gruppe-s UEL header and top speed pro-1 axleback. I can feel the rumble through even the headrest, and yet its perfect for daily driving. No rasp, no buzzing. The extra resonator is a must.

If you want to make this 4 cylinder sound good you have to put in time, effort, and money.
So you have 3 resonators? 1 in front pipe, 1 in midpipe+extra vibrant as well. and no muffler right.
mfragoso18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #17
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post

Or you can just get lucky.
I have the original OFH. (The one you had to get on a waiting list way back when.) Attached to a V1 Manzo Catback. This is the original Manzo I got on Ebay for about 300 bucks. Everything had perfect fitment and sounded fantastic. After about 4 years or so the resonator started rattling. Manzo (assholes) would not sell me just the resonator so I found one on Ebay that was about the same size. Bought a cheapo POS welder and learned how to use it. I'm much better at cutting metal than joining it!
Got rid of the rattle and it sounds great. Idleing it sounds just like a V8. I get more compliments on the car's sound than anything else. Everyone says it sounds really powerful. I quit telling people that it really isn't.
6 years later it's still in almost new condition (except for the original resonator of course).
So not all Chinese crap on Ebay is junk.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #18
Roth_nj

Drives: Brz ts
I'm in the same boat... I have a tomei uel headers and tomei over pipe, everything else stock. What some more rumble/aggressive tone but without making it stupid loud
Roth_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #19
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I highly recommend the Perrin catback. I run the 2.5 after a tomei uel and OP, and a catted FP. No rattle or rasp anywhere and it's got a nice throaty rumble all the way up the tach. It's not the ej rumble but I love it. Cruising down low in the revs is nice and deep but get her up around 5000 or up and it's a different animal. That all being said I still find myself wanting a little more volume some days. Like if I could keep the same tone just be a little louder I'd be pumped so maybe the 3in would give you that.
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:34 PM   #20
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I can unload a video showing the sounds at startup when I installed the catback to hear it
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #21
Rubedo
Miami to Montana

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
Currently i am running oft stage 2, borla UEL header, stock overpipe, stock front pipe and stock exhaust. But the rumble sound doesnt kick it after 4-5k rpm.

Is there anyway to make the rumble little bit louder without changing the stock exhaust? I kinda like the 2015 JDM exhaust tip.

Thanks
I have the GruppeS Header(Catless) and Over Pipe paired with the HKS dual resonated FP(Catless) and the Remark Resonated Mid Pipe and the Remark Muffler Delete Axle back.

And boy does she rumble. Regular driving and Idle is A little louder than stock with a noticeable rumble and when you get on it she SCREAMS. Maybe going something similar like that might make you happy.

Been lurking this forum since 2011 and finally bought one haha
Rubedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #22
Rubedo
Miami to Montana

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
The car will naturally sound less rumbly the higher in RPM you get. When I'm on the track and hanging out around 5-7k, my UEL doesn't really sound that different from an EL header.
This 100%

Been lurking this forum since 2011 and finally bought one haha
Rubedo is offline   Reply With Quote