follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
guitarman

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
To keep my seats in perfect condition I installed SARD covers after a couple of months of ownership. I probably clean them more regularly than most, but 3 years and 64k kms I have no cracks or peeling to speak of. The SARD covers are also vinyl leather... so they are kind of a "sacrificial layer" to protect the OEM seat.
I did this too

The SARD covers are a b*tch to install, but once on they are pretty nice. (...except the vinyl smell for the first month or 2)
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
wolffbite (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #16
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,478 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Have you read your warranty? It will clearly state what is covered and what is not. From what you find out there you can go back to them and prove them wrong or realize they are right. Warranties, extended or factory are to cover defective parts not wear and tear.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-05-2020), Tcoat (06-08-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #17
nickson555

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Ouch it's expensive for a wear item you must change every 50k. I thought I saw it was like 450 somewhere.

a seat that tears at 80 000 km at the stitches is defective. that's not what I call wear or torn by my fault with sharp objects. I'll ask them my extended warranty money back if they don't change it.

It was not that bad yesterday. I pulled on all the cracks out of frustration when I got my car out of the dealer. But all the holes are every place it was torn. I was mad because of that and the dealer didn't fix a single of all the problems I mentionned that should have been covered even under normal warranty and should be under the extended warranty. Yet they sent me me a 360$ bill of charges by mistakes and no fixes at all. Our dealer moved out of town and they lend you a car and the mechanics that live here drive the car to the dealers. That's a nice service but they never call for questions or comments and you always get back you car not fixed. You need to call back to know what happens like not having the parts yet. I'm not going to pay this stupid bill. Not even the oil change. They also always scratch the door/speaker plastic with their boots. 1/10. Bunch of retards.

I'm leaving the seat like this until they just to show everyone and make Subaru look crap and make them feel bad everytime I go to the dealer very month for the sqeaky clutch and windows scratch.
nickson555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #18
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,767 Times in 937 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Have you considered...

Looking at salvage cars?

A high number of our cars get totaled at low mileage for fairly predictable reasons (mostly poor judgement, inexperience, and driver error). I picked up a set of seats out of a 12K car for $175... cheaper than reupholstering them!

Between totaled cars and race car conversions you should not have a problem finding a good used set.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-05-2020), p1l0t (06-04-2020), soundman98 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #19
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,374 Times in 4,814 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Looking at salvage cars?

A high number of our cars get totaled at low mileage for fairly predictable reasons (mostly poor judgement, inexperience, and driver error). I picked up a set of seats out of a 12K car for $175... cheaper than reupholstering them!

Between totaled cars and race car conversions you should not have a problem finding a good used set.
^ This ^

You might even find some nice hyperblue stitching or other rare seats.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #20
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,478 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson555 View Post
Ouch it's expensive for a wear item you must change every 50k. I thought I saw it was like 450 somewhere.

I pulled on all the cracks out of frustration when I got my car out of the dealer. But all the holes are every place it was torn. I was mad.

I'm leaving the seat like this until they just to show everyone and make Subaru look crap and make them feel bad everytime I go to the dealer every month for the sqeaky clutch and windows scratch.
The cost of repair has nothing to do with it being covered. Once agin please read your warranty you purchased it will let you know if that is covered or not. You can go straight to the warranty provider to get the answer. Maybe the dealer is reading the warranty wrong?

Your frustration and temper did not do you any favors. In fact it hurt you case of trying to get them to do anything for you.

The technicians/dealer do not give 2 shits about what you car looks like.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #21
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

a seat that tears at 80 000 km at the stitches is defective. that's not what I call wear or torn by my fault with sharp objects. I'll ask them my extended warranty money back if they don't change it.
While it might be defective in your case, it is very hard to tell now. From the single picture you've provided, I don't see where any stitching is torn... all I see is peeling starting at areas where cracking occurred. Since the cracks are at the leading edge of the bolster where there are multiple stitching lines, of course that is where the peeling will start.

There are so many factors that can lead to accelerated wear in this area. We don't know how you get in and out of the car, if you clean or treat the vinyl, if the car sits out in the sun all day etc. etc. etc.

If this were a common defect we would see a lot more posts about this. The handful of times I've seen this issue crop up (on this forum at least) it is usually attributed to poor technique getting in and out of the car.

I can understand you're upset (I would be too). "that's not what I call wear" is up to you to prove to try and get it replaced, but I think you're in for a very difficult uphill battle on this one...
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #22
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,006 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I pulled on all the cracks out of frustration when I got my car out of the dealer. But all the holes are every place it was torn.
So you purposely damaged your own seat and want a warranty to pay for it...

Grady (06-05-2020), soundman98 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #23
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Right side is flawless because it's difficult to drive from that side especially with manual transmission so I mostly use the left seat 99.9% of the time.
You are LHD ? And the picture shown is the left seat / driver seat? And the left side of the driver seat is incredibly worn? But the right side of the driver seat looks almost flawless, unless the picture doesn’t show it well enough? Or am i missing something? Not sure what your comment even means.
It looks like only the portion of the seat that would have contact with the driver when entering and exiting vehicle is the only main damage? And the right side of the driver seat looks perfect, Indicating user wear/tear when entering/exiting vehicle and not a quality issue.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #24
nickson555

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Everything is flawless because I take car of it. I maintain it. But yes I enter and exit the car like everyone else. I think it's normal usage to do so. Normal usage should last longer than this. I never had a concern with any of my previous seats. The problem is their materials, too tight stiches at the wrong place, bad design.

I talked with the dealer and they tried everything they could to get it covered but they say it's not covered by extended warranty. They sell this as a full warranty of almost everything but the seats are not. wow.

Thanks for your suggestions
-repair
-used seat
-new cover
nickson555 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickson555 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #25
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
i dunno how it is in Quebec but i see a ton of seats on ebay..i'd check an upholstery shop if there are any nearby to see if they'd want to repair it.

You must have clipped it with something by accident getting in and it got worse from there. You can take great care of your car and still do stuff like that.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #26
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Do not go to one of the vinyl repair guys as the job is good for a quick sale but will not last long before it will start to crack and flake.
Peal what you can and dye the fabric until you find a used seat.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #27
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
You are LHD ? And the picture shown is the left seat / driver seat? And the left side of the driver seat is incredibly worn? But the right side of the driver seat looks almost flawless, unless the picture doesn’t show it well enough? Or am i missing something? Not sure what your comment even means.
It looks like only the portion of the seat that would have contact with the driver when entering and exiting vehicle is the only main damage? And the right side of the driver seat looks perfect, Indicating user wear/tear when entering/exiting vehicle and not a quality issue.
It’s almost impossible to tell because the inner bolster is real leather and the outer bolster is vinyl. I can only see the outer vinyl bolster on one side.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #28
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
why spend money on a used seat made with the same shitty material that will flake a year or 2 down the road? time to pick up a nice bride bucket seat!
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote