follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #57
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes, it can. I just installed the homelink mirror without replacing the existing U-Pin with no problems. 15 minutes total.
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #58
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Anyone know if the auto dimming feature works if the rear windows are tinted?
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #59
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
Mine does but I only have 20% tint
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:56 PM   #60
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I forgot to say, on a separate note, that after replacing my garage door opener (Liftmaster) the system doesn't connect when I try to program the button. Apparently new units require the purchase of an extra repeater kit that is like $7.

https://www.liftmaster.com/liftmaste...openers-homeli
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #61
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
For what it's worth, I bought the auto dimming frameless mirror off of ebay (copper_z71 was the seller and this was the auction) and it has the sensor to dim the mirror on the side of that faces the FRONT of the car. It dims when the overall ambient brightness decreases to a certain point (ie. nighttime). So it's not reading anything through your rear glass.

MAYBE there's another sensor on the mirror side to read light coming from the back window but I don't remember reading anything about that on the sheet that came with the mirror. I'm at work right now so I can't read off of that sheet to be sure but you could contact the guy on ebay and ask him about your concern regarding tinted windows though I think you'd be OK. He was very helpful and even made sure everything he was providing me fit correctly.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joon525 For This Useful Post:
geezerbrzeezer (11-13-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #62
zoltiz

Drives: '17 Toyota 86 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks goes out to the OP and the contributors. Got a gently pre-loved Gentex 313 off eBay for $40 and an adaptor plate for $10. Wired to the pigtail and now I have a gate opener and an auto-dimming mirror fully operational in about 15 minutes.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:15 AM   #63
mGammal

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT86 with Aero Kit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello guys, I know it has been quite some time since the beginning of this thread, but I'm intrested to know if Gentex frame-less autodimming mirror dos fit to an 86/BRZ with the supplied harness, or does it require hardwiring + adaptor?
This model to be specific 50-GENK80A
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2XDXL15RECZZB
mGammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #64
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
For what it's worth, I bought the auto dimming frameless mirror off of ebay (copper_z71 was the seller and this was the auction) and it has the sensor to dim the mirror on the side of that faces the FRONT of the car. It dims when the overall ambient brightness decreases to a certain point (ie. nighttime). So it's not reading anything through your rear glass.

MAYBE there's another sensor on the mirror side to read light coming from the back window but I don't remember reading anything about that on the sheet that came with the mirror. I'm at work right now so I can't read off of that sheet to be sure but you could contact the guy on ebay and ask him about your concern regarding tinted windows though I think you'd be OK. He was very helpful and even made sure everything he was providing me fit correctly.
Thanks. It sounds like some of them have the ambient light sensor and also a sensor on the glass - Mirror automatically darkens when headlights are detected from behind the vehicle. - See more at: http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-....QIXQmKdi.dpuf

But while reading reviews I'm getting some mixed signals about how effective this mirror is - lag time for darkening, not as effective as manual mirror, etc. I'm interested in homelink but if the auto dimming is questionable, don't want to waste the money. Too bad we can't get a definitive opinion on this product - I'm speaking more about the factory one.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #65
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Thanks. It sounds like some of them have the ambient light sensor and also a sensor on the glass - Mirror automatically darkens when headlights are detected from behind the vehicle. - See more at: http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-....QIXQmKdi.dpuf

But while reading reviews I'm getting some mixed signals about how effective this mirror is - lag time for darkening, not as effective as manual mirror, etc. I'm interested in homelink but if the auto dimming is questionable, don't want to waste the money. Too bad we can't get a definitive opinion on this product - I'm speaking more about the factory one.
Something to think about....no auto dimming mirror (even the fastest one) is as quick as a manual one.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #66
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Gentex 50-GENK80A frameless mirror. Wanted the factory one for ease of install re plug and play, but these are relatively easy to install anyway, they dim quickly, and frameless looks awesome.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:57 AM   #67
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
What’s the frequency of US garage door remotes? I’d like to buy it, but EU frequency is 433 MHz, so it could not work...
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #68
Totmacher

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you happen to blow a fuse, it's fuse 1, ECU ACC. 10amp.
I have a junkyard homelink mirror I was splicing into factory harness. Accidentally blew it while probing the wires in factory harness to id pwr & grnd.
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #69
kthxbai

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totmacher View Post
If you happen to blow a fuse, it's fuse 1, ECU ACC. 10amp.

I have a junkyard homelink mirror I was splicing into factory harness. Accidentally blew it while probing the wires in factory harness to id pwr & grnd.
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. @Totmacher, could you tell me what each wire was in the headliner? Green, black, and pink. I was probing and blew my fuse, have to wait for AutoZone to open up but at least could work on making a harness. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2020, 01:39 AM   #70
Totmacher

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthxbai View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. @Totmacher, could you tell me what each wire was in the headliner? Green, black, and pink. I was probing and blew my fuse, have to wait for AutoZone to open up but at least could work on making a harness. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sorry, I just saw this now how many months later...
Don't remember what was what.
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Totmacher For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (04-22-2020)