follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #2423
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
So I've been noticing; in the 86, I got a lot of attention from sportscars, even pseudo sportscars like Civic Si and what not... But now.. Now it's all SUV's/CUV's trying to goad me into a race and pull in front of me for what ever reason.

For those that don't know, I'm in a CTR now.

Anyway, regular commute to work, the passed Monday, a regular looking dude in a regular fairly new Jeep Cherokee. Sitting at a light that is right before an on ramp and we are both in front. Goes green, I take off briskly, but nothing to incite rage or imply I'm racing to get there first. Suddenly I hear this faint sound.. this like whirring sound that was progressively getting louder, and then I notice this white Jeep Cherokee trying it's damn best (it was really doing it's best) to try to ???overtake me??? I have no idea, I was so confused.

Of course the on ramp is there I get on, and sure enough he wasn't trying to get on, he was trying to race me. It does not end there though.

Same day, but commute after work. A Range Rover Evoque, strange looking bastard of a CUV; similar scenario we are at a light, but this time no where near a on ramp. Goes green, I briskly take off. I then notice this thing, the Evoque is pacing beside me. I look over, shake my head like 'what do you want fool, gtfo my face'... And there it is again, that shitty whirring sound that all these stupid CUV's/SUV's make when they try their hardest, and he takes off (as best he could).

This has pretty much gone on all winter with various 9999lb CUV's/SUV's. I've had one Mustang try, but that's it.... Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's my 4 doors..

And then this other time a KIA Sorento V6......

Edit: I don't know why my posts are double spacing.
Lol, I like to imagine it's because people think a CTR is an econobox with a fancy bodykit and perhaps want to show you what 'real speed' looks like. Whereas the twins look small and fast and people don't recognize it as being slower than it looks?

Also possible they want to look at it longer?

To be fair, it's really funny when some douchenuts pulls up at a red light, in a lane that clearly ends in a few hundred feet, next to the Buick...
Not that I know anything about that kind of thing...
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (03-10-2020), korhun (03-11-2020), soundman98 (05-16-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #2424
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
So I've been noticing; in the 86, I got a lot of attention from sportscars, even pseudo sportscars like Civic Si and what not... But now.. Now it's all SUV's/CUV's trying to goad me into a race and pull in front of me for what ever reason.

Anyway, regular commute to work, the passed Monday, a regular looking dude in a regular fairly new Jeep Cherokee. Sitting at a light that is right before an on ramp and we are both in front. Goes green, I take off briskly, but nothing to incite rage or imply I'm racing to get there first. Suddenly I hear this faint sound.. this like whirring sound that was progressively getting louder, and then I notice this white Jeep Cherokee trying it's damn best (it was really doing it's best) to try to ???overtake me??? I have no idea, I was so confused.

Of course the on ramp is there I get on, and sure enough he wasn't trying to get on, he was trying to race me. It does not end there though.

Same day, but commute after work. A Range Rover Evoque, strange looking bastard of a CUV; similar scenario we are at a light, but this time no where near a on ramp. Goes green, I briskly take off. I then notice this thing, the Evoque is pacing beside me. I look over, shake my head like 'what do you want fool, gtfo my face'... And there it is again, that shitty whirring sound that all these stupid CUV's/SUV's make when they try their hardest, and he takes off (as best he could).

This has pretty much gone on all winter with various 9999lb CUV's/SUV's. I've had one Mustang try, but that's it.... Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's my 4 doors..

They are trying to past you because the fake vents are burning holes in their retinas.
Cheeky (03-11-2020), HachiRokuX (03-11-2020), Jordanwolf (03-10-2020), p1l0t (05-13-2020), Spuds (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #2425
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Lol, I like to imagine it's because people think a CTR is an econobox with a fancy bodykit and perhaps want to show you what 'real speed' looks like. Whereas the twins look small and fast and people don't recognize it as being slower than it looks?

Also possible they want to look at it longer?

To be fair, it's really funny when some douchenuts pulls up at a red light, in a lane that clearly ends in a few hundred feet, next to the Buick...
Not that I know anything about that kind of thing...

I can see that. Maybe if I took off the Civic emblem in the back people would be more cautious and less challenging. But then again, driving the most popular car in Canada(Civic) makes it basically indistinguishable, with that fact even, I think I've seen more phony CTR's than real ones where I am.. Saw one yesterday.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
korhun (03-11-2020), Spuds (03-11-2020), Tcoat (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #2426
Tcoat

Quote:
I can see that. Maybe if I took off the Civic emblem in the back people would be more cautious and less challenging. But then again, driving the most popular car in Canada(Civic) makes it basically indistinguishable, with that fact even, I think I've seen more phony CTR's than real ones where I am.. Saw one yesterday.
Glad you specified "car" since it is number 5 for the best selling vehicles. Even then it is half of the volume of the best seller and has dropped 9% in the last full sales year.

https://carcostcanada.com/Home/Top10sellingvehicles
Old 03-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #2427
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Glad you specified "car" since it is number 5 for the best selling vehicles. Even then it is half of the volume of the best seller and has dropped 9% in the last full sales year.

https://carcostcanada.com/Home/Top10sellingvehicles

Is this based on consumer only or does this also consider fleet sales? It doesn't seem to specify otherwise.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #2428
Tcoat

Quote:
Is this based on consumer only or does this also consider fleet sales? It doesn't seem to specify otherwise.
It is total sales. It is one of the three sites we use to try and forecast demand since we make parts for the top two. It is far more reliable and accurate than the customer guesses.
soundman98 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 02:40 AM   #2429
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Well. Some kids I'll say, really wanted to race me in a new 86.

They slowed down real good so I could get beside them driving limit.. both of them looked at me with their Pauly D haircuts... The passenger literally started counting down with his fingers from 3 and then motioned to race.... Me staring in disbelief.

Honestly, just idiots lol. I just shook my head at these guys man.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (05-13-2020), Spuds (05-13-2020), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-13-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #2430
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Was at a red next to two Skylines (one to my left and one behind me). There was a fly in my car so my girlfriend opened her window to get it out and I guess the Skyline to the left (i'm in a RHD) took that as a signal to take off on the green, with the other Skyline switching lanes and following behind (Both the same model so was assumed they knew each other).

Besides that no blatant "race me bros" just the standard guys in their Golf's/ Holden utes/ Hilux's going out of their way to over take and lane change infront of me, and a WRX the other day doing a little rev besides me to show off his turbo flutter.

But yea, I don't really pay attention to others when I drive, but whenever my girlfriends in the car she always comments that she catches a lot people looking which I like. I'm not even widebodied or have anything that blatant, just a murdered black 86 with a nice looking splitter
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-14-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #2431
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I was cruising down the highway in the right lane and some Maxima gets stuck behind some moron doing like 40mph in the left lane... Then there is some construction and I fall in behind some 18 wheeler that is doing the proper 45mph through the zone because the right lane is full exiting and entering traffic and the left lane is closed. Well once the traffic in the right lane evacuates the Maxima sees his opportunity and zips by! I just continue to follow the truck. After the construction is over I pass the truck on the newly opened left lane and resume cruising. The Maxima is stuck again behind two lanes of slow traffic. Waze reports police a half mile ahead. I move back into the right lane having passed the truck cleanly and not wanting to be in left lane where he will set off my lazer detector. I back off the gas but I'm still catching to the traffic that braking for the Officer in the turn around spot at the bottom of the hill (which neither of us can see yet because we haven't crested the hill). The Maxima sees me coming and darts all the way over to the slow car, passes several cars but then that slow car lane runs out at the top of the hill and he cuts back across three lanes almost clipping a guy in the far left lane. This all happens right in front of the cop, but the cop is facing the other way apparently working the other side of the highway. Fearing the worst the Maxima takes off and darts off the nearest exit. The traffic generally resumes normal speed and falls into sequence in the right lane and I move back into the left lane and continue cruising down the highway. I mean I know our cars look fast but damn bro calm down.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #2432
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Huh, I guess that explains your honda fanboy comments in other threads. Now I know. Hope you like the type r

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #2433
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Huh, I guess that explains your honda fanboy comments in other threads. Now I know. Hope you like the type r
I've been a Honda fan since before having the Type-R though.

Type-R is good, better than the 86, much much better.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #2434
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
I've been a Honda fan since before having the Type-R though.

Type-R is good, better than the 86, much much better.
if i was a mod, i'd ban you for a day for hearsay.
Jdmjunkie (05-16-2020), Jordanwolf (05-16-2020), Spuds (05-22-2020), theneptune86 (09-07-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #2435
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
if i was a mod, i'd ban you for a day for hearsay.
I probably would too, but, it's not like I said the Si is better. Now that would be straight fanboi-ism.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-16-2020), p1l0t (05-23-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #2436
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
people are too scared to race me after i got my advan livery. they think i'm really a race car and back off.

so simple.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soloside For This Useful Post:
BRZ_88 (05-25-2020), HachiRokuX (05-23-2020), p1l0t (05-21-2020), theneptune86 (09-07-2020)