follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 10-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #379
Parrot Head

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I finally have an end to the long journey, i hope. My car entered the dealership with a blown engine on June 2 2019, I picked up the car this week 4 1/2 months later. Toyota Canada covered the replacement short block after I hired a lawyer, it 1 1/2 months to get the parts. The car sat outside all summer so all the brakes were completely rusted everything was replaced after the rear piston seized while driving. I never saw a nice summer day this year. Interesting to note there are some people that knew that the way I was treated was wrong and they now have a specific protocol for dealing with this type of issue at least in Canada. The Dealership was great, they are car people and fought for what I finally received. Yelling and screaming will not work but clearly pressure will. I have been disappointed with the way all this was handled and now drive a car that I am not sure I trust. The engine now has a warranty, the dilemma is do keep the car with a new engine or do I sell the car with a new engine warranty? I feel for anyone having to go through this, at least it is fun to be driving again.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parrot Head For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-09-2019), gravitylover (10-27-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #380
cheymann

Drives: Toyota 86 2012
Vehicle Mileage: 96307 km (59842 miles)
Vehicle Make: Toyota 86 (2012) in South Africa
Mileage After Recall Performed: 1414 km (878 miles)
Symptom(s): Vehicle started making odd noises (I now know this was knocking) while driving home from work, then died on the side of the road. I happened to be logging some parameters during the death trip, and (afterwards, when looking at the data) saw IAM going down from 1 to .84, then .5, then .24, then the car stopped. Engine oil temperature went up to 120 degC (248 degF) even though rpm stayed below 4000.
Failure: Big end bearing spun, cylinder nr 3.
State: Gauteng, South Africa
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Yes, currently it looks like they will. They initially quoted R45,000 (approx $3000) for a new short block, stating that the vehicle is no longer under warranty and that "the recall was done but has nothing to do with the damages on the engine as this failure is internal and not from the valves." I then sent them a rather detailed technical summary of the issue (forum posts, the spreadsheet with cases, a summary of articles from thedrive.com etc.). They did not engage with me on a technical level at all, just continued stating blankly that the failure is not related to the recall work. After some more back and forth, the service manager changed course, and offered to repair the car via a "goodwill claim" to Toyota South Africa (which must still be approved). They've ordered parts and started the repair work, although I have not agreed to pay for it. So now for more waiting.

Last edited by cheymann; 12-13-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Updated with new developments in my story.
cheymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #381
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheymann View Post
I have sent them a rather detailed technical summary of the issue, will see what happens.

This kind of borderlines on "telling the dealer how to do their job." We like to think we're being helpful, but 95% of people who go to the dealer don't understand cars (like how to rotate their tires or do an oil change). Dealers (and most shops) just need the general symptoms. Usually when you start diving into specifics, they only look at those specifics (which cost you money in the long run).
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:09 AM   #382
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,069 Times in 777 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
In italy they started doing the recall since few month, the first destroyed engine from rod bearing knock are coming out (at least 3 I know), all Toyota and dealer say it s the customer fault and they Don t want to pay
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #383
Snow27

Drives: ‘13 BRZ Limited SWP
Vehicle Mileage: 42,756
Vehicle Make: Subaru
Mileage After Recall Performed: ~1600 (44,350)
Symptom(s): I was coming home from work and lifted off the gas as I approached my exit off ramp. Oil light flickered for a couple seconds, then came on solid followed immediately by CEL, followed by stall. Very bad knock on restart. Drove a few hundred feet to a safe area despite it sounding awful.
Failure: Spun bearing
State: WA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Not even sort of, quoting $13k. Subaru won’t even authorize an engine tear down and want to charge labor if I want that, but seems unlikely they will change their mind even if I find anything. Oil pan was pulled and there were some threads in the pickup but no massive sealant blockage.

You would think for a company that bases their entire brand around people loving their cars they would be willing to entertain the idea of fixing a problem to keep a customer happy.
Snow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow27 For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #384
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow27 View Post
Symptom(s): I was coming home from work and lifted off the gas as I approached my exit off ramp. Oil light flickered for a couple seconds, then came on solid followed immediately by CEL, followed by stall. Very bad knock on restart. Drove a few hundred feet to a safe area despite it sounding awful.
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Not even sort of, quoting $13k. Subaru won’t even authorize an engine tear down and want to charge labor if I want that, but seems unlikely they will change their mind even if I find anything. Oil pan was pulled and there were some threads in the pickup but no massive sealant blockage.

You would think for a company that bases their entire brand around people loving their cars they would be willing to entertain the idea of fixing a problem to keep a customer happy.
call subaru of america angrily. In my opinion a car with under 50k miles spinning a rod bearing after recall service is unacceptable. my car had 90k miles on it and i only put on 6k miles before trading it in for a 2020 model. The dealership blew the shortblock 4 times from February 2019 - November 2019. Every time the dealership denied fault and I had to go through a process with SOA. After having a knock after 4 new shortblocks, they finally offered me 7k for my BRZ, and also another 4K towards the purchase of a new car. Not to mention I was also able to negotiate the dealer down to 26k on a new 2020 PP before trade-ins and the 4k coupon.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
Gunman (12-17-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #385
Snow27

Drives: ‘13 BRZ Limited SWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
call subaru of america angrily. In my opinion a car with under 50k miles spinning a rod bearing after recall service is unacceptable. my car had 90k miles on it and i only put on 6k miles before trading it in for a 2020 model. The dealership blew the shortblock 4 times from February 2019 - November 2019. Every time the dealership denied fault and I had to go through a process with SOA. After having a knock after 4 new shortblocks, they finally offered me 7k for my BRZ, and also another 4K towards the purchase of a new car. Not to mention I was also able to negotiate the dealer down to 26k on a new 2020 PP before trade-ins and the 4k coupon.
Thanks but SoA isn’t even authorizing a tear down to find point of failure. They want me to pay that out of pocket.

Edit: I’m not even sure what rod it is, though I think it’s safe to assume #3 or 4...
Snow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:58 AM   #386
cheymann

Drives: Toyota 86 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow27 View Post

Look at the court case (https://www.docketbird.com/court-cas...:2019-cv-18303) there have been motions to dismiss from Toyota and SOA a few days ago. Could this be why they're currently being more obstinate about this?
cheymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #387
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Look at the court case (https://www.docketbird.com/court-cas...:2019-cv-18303) there have been motions to dismiss from Toyota and SOA a few days ago. Could this be why they're currently being more obstinate about this?
Some dealers have been obstinate since the start. Some have not and owned and corrected the issue. I don't think that Toyota/Subaru was all that obstinate one way or the other. They have always pushed the failures back on the dealers that screwed up. As they should.
Dadhawk (12-17-2019)
Old 01-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #388
dezmoondo

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
jesus. How many people have actually had the valve spring fail? it almost seems smarter to skip this recall?
That was my thinking but now my registration renewal requires me to show proof of performing the recall for my registration.
dezmoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #389
Exrald

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS & 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezmoondo View Post
That was my thinking but now my registration renewal requires me to show proof of performing the recall for my registration.
Get it done at Concord Toyota! I'm waaay past 7k miles and she's still running strong

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Exrald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #390
dezmoondo

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrald View Post
Get it done at Concord Toyota! I'm waaay past 7k miles and she's still running strong

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Glad to hear that you are fine with it. Unfortunately I am located in So Cal so Concord is a little far for me. Thank you for the information though.
dezmoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dezmoondo For This Useful Post:
Exrald (01-07-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #391
TytheToyotaGuy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Call SoA and escalate your case, if they don't help, get a lawyer, because that's bullshit
TytheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #392
djmodernroq

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezmoondo View Post
Glad to hear that you are fine with it. Unfortunately I am located in So Cal so Concord is a little far for me. Thank you for the information though.

hey dezmoondo,

Where are you located in so cal if you don't mind. I have to take my car in for the recall fix and I am trying to find out who in socal has done it and where without having any issues. Like you stated, that now the dmv is requiring it otherwise I won't get my tags. I'm in the same boat man.
djmodernroq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring