follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A track toy vehicle with buttons on the steering wheel? No thank you. Might as well give it a smiley face and call it a Mazda.

Last edited by rice_classic; 07-19-2012 at 01:03 PM.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rice_classic For This Useful Post:
MiguelAE86 (07-19-2012), Tomzilla (07-19-2012), wu_dot_com (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Tomzilla

Drives: '13 Premium MT BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I like not having buttons on my steering wheel. Can't tell you how many times I've changed a track on my CD because I was evasively driving with my Mazda and hit a button.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
Shizuma

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
Are you talking about the button between the audio and navigation? I never use it...and I'm still living in the 90's when cars couldn't understand you or talk back to you.
Even in 2013 the car can't understand you, at least if you drive a BRZ, lol! I don't think I've ever seen a more poorly implemented voice recognition (or headunit for the matter), I've found while driving it's easier to either use my phone and it's voice recognition or pull over any type in the info because I've yet to have a single successful use of the BRZ's voice controls.
Shizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
Even in 2013 the car can't understand you, at least if you drive a BRZ, lol! I don't think I've ever seen a more poorly implemented voice recognition (or headunit for the matter), I've found while driving it's easier to either use my phone and it's voice recognition or pull over any type in the info because I've yet to have a single successful use of the BRZ's voice controls.
I haven't even tried mine yet and I've had the car for a month and a half.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
quik1987

Drives: Bugatti Veyron
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The steering wheel controls were not from Subaru/Toyota but from an aftermarket company
quik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
R8
Spinning Triangles

Drives: RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
A track toy vehicle with buttons on the steering wheel? No thank you. Might as well give it a smiley face and call it a Mazda.
So why then even include a radio with a "track toy?"

I'd think that using steering wheel buttons to change stations (etc.) is far less distracting than reaching for the radio.
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
i remember when the preproduction pic surface with the steeringwheel control. majority of the forum member including myself reject this feature and give a negative review.

however, lately. people started to come out of the woodwork wanting to have it back...

i for one like my steering wheel clean. yes the control would be nice, but when i am driving this car, i am more focus on the drive than the controls.
Not to give you a hard time, but you do know that you just contridicted yourself right? The point of having steering wheel controls is that is distracts a driver less than having to take their hands off the wheel to adjust the radio/take & make calls via bluetooth/etc. Of course, this doesn't apply to anything done on a track/etc., but for real world applications steering wheel controls aids the driver take their eyes/hands off the wheel less than if they werern't present.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zoomzoomers For This Useful Post:
R8 (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8 View Post
So why then even include a radio with a "track toy?"

I'd think that using steering wheel buttons to change stations (etc.) is far less distracting than reaching for the radio.
I don't play the radio when I'm at the track but to each their own.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
alluringreality

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quik1987 View Post
The steering wheel controls were not from Subaru/Toyota but from an aftermarket company
The controls on the demo car is similar to what Subaru uses on the Impreza, where the right side is the cruise. If this car eventually gets steering wheel controls they will probably be Toyota's style to go with the production cruise control.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=13
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh.../photo_05.html
alluringreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Linseal

Drives: Argento MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I personally hate how cluttered these controls can get. Have you've seen the new Avalon wheel? It has a fucking d-pad!
Linseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Not to give you a hard time, but you do know that you just contridicted yourself right? The point of having steering wheel controls is that is distracts a driver less than having to take their hands off the wheel to adjust the radio/take & make calls via bluetooth/etc. Of course, this doesn't apply to anything done on a track/etc., but for real world applications steering wheel controls aids the driver take their eyes/hands off the wheel less than if they werern't present.

i failed to see the correlation you are trying to make here. in order for your logic to work, you have to assume that a driver can only partake a single action at a time which requires the total attention on either the driving or the controls. on top of that, you are assuming that the driver must complete both actions in the same timeframe.

however, we are not such simple creatures that cannot prioritize our tasks or multitask.

so when i said i am more focus on the driving than the controls. i mean when i drive, i exert 80-90% of my attention on driving experience. if i happened to need to adjust the radio, make a phone call, etc, i will adjust it when the driving situations allowed me to (like at a stop light, or when traffic dies down).
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #26
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
i failed to see the correlation you are trying to make here. in order for your logic to work, you have to assume that a driver can only partake a single action at a time which requires the total attention on either the driving or the controls. on top of that, you are assuming that the driver must complete both actions in the same timeframe.

however, we are not such simple creatures that cannot prioritize our tasks or multitask.

so when i said i am more focus on the driving than the controls. i mean when i drive, i exert 80-90% of my attention on driving experience. if i happened to need to adjust the radio, make a phone call, etc, i will adjust it when the driving situations allowed me to (like at a stop light, or when traffic dies down).
Ok, so you're the type of person who would have argued against forks when they were first used saying that fingers do just fine. So we'll just agree to disagree, but here's your troll card anyway...
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #27
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Engineers said the controls would have made the wheel bigger by 1 inch (or 1.5 I forget). Anyway, small wheels rule!
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Khyron686 For This Useful Post:
wu_dot_com (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
Razz

Drives: Fast
I miss the controls.

Today on the way to work, I have to drive directly into the sun.

No way to use a touch screen.

Need the controls on the wheel.

They are a practical safety feature.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote