follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie0000 View Post
So are you saying to take it for the recall fix? I am at 70,000 miles now.
Quote:
My FRS is stock. I have no mods done on them. My thought is that I am already past the engine warranty. And I called Crystal Auto Mall on Rt 22. They strongly recommended to get the fix done. Also, I talked to the technician there and he has done few of these repairs so far and no issues yet.
If you are going to get it done at all then this is good timing. The majority of the known post repair failures were all people that had it done early and complaints have dropped off to almost nothing. The instructions for the techs have been improved considerably and the failures were high enough profile that the dealerships seem to be taking more care. If you wait too long then the techs may get a bit lax, the instructions will be ignored or in general they may get sloppy again.
Keep in mind though that the failure rate of the actual springs was very, very, very low and happened at lower mileages so if you have gone this long then why mess with things?
Dadhawk (07-23-2019), humfrz (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
arnie0000

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If you are going to get it done at all then this is good timing. The majority of the known post repair failures were all people that had it done early and complaints have dropped off to almost nothing. The instructions for the techs have been improved considerably and the failures were high enough profile that the dealerships seem to be taking more care. If you wait too long then the techs may get a bit lax, the instructions will be ignored or in general they may get sloppy again.
Keep in mind though that the failure rate of the actual springs was very, very, very low and happened at lower mileages so if you have gone this long then why mess with things?
The only reason I even started looking into it is because I felt off late there is a sluggishness in the acceleration. Now, it maybe totally a placebo effect. Also, not to mention a rickety noise when on cold days I am just on clutch or the ever famous "crickety noise" when the engine is hot.
arnie0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #17
DearDiaryJackpot

Drives: FRS
I have 67k on my car 2013 frs. Track once, autocross once and just did 35 miles at 100. Not proud but worth it for what had to be done. Engine is running fine except when you shift at 2k, pistons sounds like crazy, but if I shift at 3k or above, nothing sounds. Only thing I have replaced was the clutch. Not thinking of doing the recall, I have papers and calls from dealers(weird) asking me to make an appointment. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DearDiaryJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
The only reason I even started looking into it is because I felt off late there is a sluggishness in the acceleration. Now, it maybe totally a placebo effect. Also, not to mention a rickety noise when on cold days I am just on clutch or the ever famous "crickety noise" when the engine is hot.
None of those are likely the valve springs. The few reported failures were sudden and catastrophic.
Summerwolf (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:53 PM   #19
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

If you're talking about the past couple of weeks, any car is going to feel sluggish in the heat/humidity we've had in NJ.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (07-24-2019), Tcoat (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #20
Little Mt. Fuji

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Honestly, if you are putting this much concern and thought over the recall you are best off not doing it unless you are 100% sure.

Quote:
My FRS is stock. I have no mods done on them. My thought is that I am already past the engine warranty. And I called Crystal Auto Mall on Rt 22. They strongly recommended to get the fix done. Also, I talked to the technician there and he has done few of these repairs so far and no issues yet.
Generally if your engine does suffer a catastrophic failure after the recall, its because of the work they did. Engine with 70k wont just spin a bearing and knock for no reason (unless the oil is literal sludge). It wont really matter if you have a warranty or not anymore since the work they did on your car is insured by them. Theres only been a few counts where the dealer/toyota have chosen not to cover their work. As far as I know at the current moment, I currently getting a replacement motor and loaner at no charge so. I did have to argue with them or threaten with lawyers, they simply ate the cost. (Easier for them when they are the biggest dealer in the area).

Quote:
Thanks! I was thinking along the same line, however, I have about 70K miles on my car and hence the worry.
whats the worry? I had about 85k on mine when i did the recall. Some guys are already past 150k on the forums. If youre worried about a valve spring actually breaking there are under 100 reported incidents of this AROUND THE WORLD. Thats out of the thousands of fa20's subaru produced in the year and a half

i only did mine because i had an oil leak, also spark plugs and accessory belt

Last edited by Little Mt. Fuji; 07-23-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Little Mt. Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:28 AM   #21
marco1ca

Drives: Toyota Celica
Quote:
Hi All,
I have been sitting on my recall that I received from Toyota early January or something. I have not taken my 2013 FRS for this recall yet and seeing so many issues with this recall, I was thinking about it not doing it at all. Has anyone gone this route and haven't taken their FRS to the dealer yet?
I will share what I already learned from others on here; mine is at the dealership now, "13 BRZ, 25k miles, stock, live in CA. Pre-plan: 1. talk to the service manager as I did and share your concerns. 2. Order 3 test tubes from Blackstone, mine came in yesterday. 3. have oil analyzed . I will send a test at 500 mi. and then when I do my next 2 oil changes. I will share results on here. Not a full-proof plan and have to pay for the oil analysis which sucks, but I feel less stressed now taking it in.
marco1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marco1ca For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Do we really need another thread on the valve spring recall? I posted this in the discussion thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=740
I asked this question in this post, Of the 165,534 affected vehicles have there been more than 14 valve spring failures since Oct 2016? We will never know.
As for the number of failures and successes after the recall, we will never know that exact number. We can only speculate since all affected BRZ and FRS owners are not forum members and Subaru/Toyota will never give out that data.
According to this article, dated 3-27-19, https://www.autonews.com/regulation-...spring-recalls
"Dominick Infante, a spokesman for Subaru of America, said, "All I can do is confirm that we have not seen any cars with engine issues caused by the recall fixes that we have conducted. We only had one person return post-recall fix. We still encourage owners to come in and complete engine repairs."
We do know that's not true.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
maslin (07-24-2019), Summerwolf (07-24-2019), Tcoat (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #23
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
The likely hood of you having a problem because of the recall is greater than the issues the recall was attempting to fix.

Quote:
So are you saying to take it for the recall fix? I am at 70,000 miles now.

Read the statement again. Comprehend it.

I, personally, wouldn't want to be dealing with some of the issues post recall that people have talked about in that thread.

If my car wound up breaking a spring while driving I'd blame Subaru. If my cars perfect running engine wound up dead post recall because of an incorrect repair, I'd blame myself.

The extreme cases people posted about.....if I lived in Cali where they FORCE the recall....I'd consider registering the car in Montana or something to avoid it.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #24
arnie0000

Drives: Scion FRS
Hi All,
Just wanted to thank everyone here for their input. I took my FRS for the recall and it has been 150 miles since the "fix". I do not feel any issues as of yet. Drives well. Dealer guarantees their work.
If anyone is in NJ area interested, I took it to Crystal Auto Mall.

I will update again after I hit 500 miles or so.
arnie0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #25
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
FWIW, I'm under the impression that a lot more Scion FR-S's were sold than BRZ's, so Toyota dealerships may actually have more experience with these cares than Subaru dealerships do.

I had the recall work done on mine at about 150k miles. But the guy that did it is a gear head who's brother has a turbo FRS - and he does all the work on his brother's car. If you are going to get work done on any of these cars, I highly recommend the guys at Toyota of Louisville (assuming you're in this area).
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LotsaMiles For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-06-2019), Tcoat (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #26
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,381 Times in 7,414 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
My recall appointment date came and went with no call from the dealer. They pushed me back twice already because they are so far behind.

At this point I have a spare motor anyway so lets see if I CAN break it
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #27
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would judge your risk of doing the valve spring recall based on the rate of JO2 recalls done by your local dealership and if any of those cars have encountered an issue post recall.

If I where you I would wait until something starts leaking or you need to replace something in the engine bay and have the recall done with other things at the same time for less labor cost. The recall could mean that 8 years from now you see your timing cover leaking like hell, so take it in for the J02 recall and get that resolved for free.

Outside of Ca (who forces the recall on you) I would see the recall as not such a bad thing.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #28
matwolb

Drives: Toyota GT86 '13
An owner here of a Toyota GT86 which went to valve spring recall in Spain a month and half ago, more or less.

I was extremely worried at the beginning of the process, just by searching info on Inet - all you'll see are cases that went completely wrong, short blocks changed and so on. However, I have been lucky somehow - my Toyota dealer is part of a group which has also Subaru among them, and they stated Subaru was going to perform the recall, with a master tech responsible for the rework. They confirmed also the warranty after the recall as well (including a borrowed car if mine had mechanical issues). As the engine is from Subaru, that made me feel a little bit better - and I was told that more GT86 and BRZs went before on their hands (I think we don't have FRS in ES). All this info made my choice to go for it.

I would say here the name of the dealer, but I guess that for most of you it will be useless as I'm the foreigner here
matwolb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not done, valve spring recall