follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 07-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #20945
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Plant View Post
Today I crashed my FR-S into a dirt/rock wall and spun out into a ditch.
Glad everyone is ok. How fast were you going and how much damage is there to the driver's side of the car?
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #20946
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'm glad you and your friend are OK.

That's going to take a lot of "rubbing out" to fix -

Hey, don't be too "deviated", your car will fix up to be as good as new -

If you feel like talking about it, I'm curious as to whether or not you had the ESC turned OFF?

humfrz
Traction control was off. That was one of the first things I thought about: if I had it on then this probably wouldn't have happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Glad everyone is ok. How fast were you going and how much damage is there to the driver's side of the car?
I was going somewhere around 30-35. The turn we were going around is kinda tight and most Sunday drivers, soccer moms, etc go around it at 20-25. I've easily made the turn at that speed before, but I guess this time there was more dirt/sand on the road from that construction site than usual.

The driver's side is where 90% of the damage is. The driver's side front fender will most likely need to be replaced. There's no damage to the driver's side door. The driver's side rear quarter panel is pretty messed up, which is what makes me think they're going to total the car since you can't just bolt on a new one.
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Face_Plant For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #20947
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Traction control was off. That was one of the first things I thought about: if I had it on then this probably wouldn't have happened...

I was going somewhere around 30-35. The turn we were going around is kinda tight and most Sunday drivers, soccer moms, etc go around it at 20-25. I've easily made the turn at that speed before, but I guess this time there was more dirt/sand on the road from that construction site than usual.

The driver's side is where 90% of the damage is. The driver's side front fender will most likely need to be replaced. There's no damage to the driver's side door. The driver's side rear quarter panel is pretty messed up, which is what makes me think they're going to total the car since you can't just bolt on a new one.

Glad you guys are OK. They should put some warning signs for such a dangerous place!
Hope you can get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #20948
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

Did someone say "part out"?

JK I'm sorry to hear about your 86. I did something very similar once upon a time. Just rebuild bigger and better. Don't let your memes be dreams
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #20949
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Drives: 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Well, I didn't post on Saturday, but since I finally did something to my FR-S I'll post late.

Finally waxed it Saturday. I used Griot's Liquid Gloss Poly Wax. It really needed to be clay barred as well, but I didn't feel like taking that much time/effort. It still came out relatively nice...but I have no pictures (not good ones anyway)...and then I drove it yesterday evening so I have bugs on the front now. But at least it has wax on it...birds like to crap on it. I have 3 or 4 spots on the paint that have bird poop stains/etching. I go out from work...see poop...get home...wash car...paint is already etched. Such is life I guess. I'm hoping that having wax will maybe protect the clear coat long enough for me to wash it without it etching in. I guess we'll see.

Anyway, then I finally installed my JDM side markers, OEM mud guards, and changed my transmission & differential fluid. I used Redline (I know lots of folks seem to prefer Motul, I generally used Redline in my Celicas and it worked great, so I went with Redline)...I think shifting feels a bit better. Not a huge difference, but it wasn't bad before.

Then I drove 1 1/2 round trip to a baseball game...only realizing at the midway point that I had never put my license plate back on after waxing...I felt a bit like a fugitive on the drive home...
squall leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squall leonhart For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-02-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #20950
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall leonhart View Post
Then I drove 1 1/2 round trip to a baseball game...only realizing at the midway point that I had never put my license plate back on after waxing...I felt a bit like a fugitive on the drive home...
Youll get used to that feeling and then realize it doesnt matter.

They cant pull you for a no front plate. its usually a tack on item.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #20951
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Drives: 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
Garage
It was my rear plate. I had zero plates.

Nice thing in Indiana is no front plates at all. When I lived in Ohio I was pulled over for no front plate. Then they kindly asked to search my car for drugs...which was the real reason they wanted to pull me over. Side note: I've never done any drugs (well, ya know unless you're counting the hard stuff like Tylenol), smoked even a cigarette or vaped, and had a handful of alcoholic beverages in my 37 years of life. I've been pulled over and searched for drugs many times. I could go on about this, but I'll leave it be. LOL. Suffice it to say, I have a history of being pulled over for little to no reason, and while I'm sure after looking at my registration/driver's license/proof of insurance and seeing up my *lack of* record they'd have sent me merrily on my way...it's a headache I didn't feel like dealing with.
squall leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #20952
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
Glad you guys are OK. They should put some warning signs for such a dangerous place!
Hope you can get it fixed.

They have construction signs up everywhere. I just wasn't expecting the road to be so slippery from some dirt/sand/gravel. The front looks reparable, but the left rear quarter panel is what worries me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Did someone say "part out"?

JK I'm sorry to hear about your 86. I did something very similar once upon a time. Just rebuild bigger and better. Don't let your memes be dreams
The car isn't paid off yet, so if it is totalled the bank will most likely take ownership of it, so I won't be able to just buy it from the insurance company and keep it in the driveway for 2 years while I part it out.
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #20953
desertbound1024

Drives: 2019 GT86 TRD
WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR FRS TODAY?

Wanted to see what ths stock wheels on my 86 TRD looked like in a solid color instead of the odd 5 spoke machined and black finish. Plasti dipped them “hyper graphite” and am pretty happy with the look. Might end up getting them powder coated a similar color.

Last edited by desertbound1024; 07-01-2019 at 08:48 PM.
desertbound1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to desertbound1024 For This Useful Post:
Cheeky (07-04-2019), MJones_RB (07-02-2019), Pbrown (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #20954
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbound1024 View Post
Wanted to see what ths stock wheels on my 86 TRD looked like in a solid color instead of the odd 5 spoke machined and black finish. Plasti dipped them “hyper graphite” and am pretty happy with the look. Might end up getting them powder coated a similar color.

Way better
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Cheeky (07-04-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:27 AM   #20955
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,955 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall leonhart View Post
It was my rear plate. I had zero plates.

Nice thing in Indiana is no front plates at all. When I lived in Ohio I was pulled over for no front plate. Then they kindly asked to search my car for drugs...which was the real reason they wanted to pull me over. Side note: I've never done any drugs (well, ya know unless you're counting the hard stuff like Tylenol), smoked even a cigarette or vaped, and had a handful of alcoholic beverages in my 37 years of life. I've been pulled over and searched for drugs many times. I could go on about this, but I'll leave it be. LOL. Suffice it to say, I have a history of being pulled over for little to no reason, and while I'm sure after looking at my registration/driver's license/proof of insurance and seeing up my *lack of* record they'd have sent me merrily on my way...it's a headache I didn't feel like dealing with.
Oh, maybe it's just the way you look? -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
squall leonhart (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:33 AM   #20956
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,955 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Sorry, I think they look odd -

humfrz

EDIT: I just looked up the OEM wheels (I think).

I think they look odd too.

Pay me no nevermind -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:11 AM   #20957
desertbound1024

Drives: 2019 GT86 TRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Sorry, I think they look odd -

humfrz

EDIT: I just looked up the OEM wheels (I think).

I think they look odd too.

Pay me no nevermind -

I think the wheel in general has an odd design. I’m definitely not a fan of them. Plan for now is to run them until these tires are worn and then go with a lighter weight 17” wheel.
Still undecided on the factory machined look vs the new color.

desertbound1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to desertbound1024 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 01:18 AM   #20958
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I think the wheel in general has an odd design. I’m definitely not a fan of them. Plan for now is to run them until these tires are worn and then go with a lighter weight 17” wheel.
Still undecided on the factory machined look vs the new color.

I think the original looks better. The color contrast (black/silver) fits better with the black car and the red brembo.

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
:popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby