follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #127
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Hard to tell with the sped up video but it looks pretty stable in the rain there! Also, fresh RE71s on rain = good. Worn RE71s in rain = bad. Hopefully you finally get some dry weather soon.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #128
cueball89

Drives: 23 BRZ 15 Impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It was very stable! Not sure what's up with the video speed, didn't speed it up intentionally. Maybe something happened with the overlay rendering. Are there shock dyno plots available? I'd like to see what changes are happening when I turn them up in the dry weather hopefully.
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cueball89 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (06-19-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #129
PLX92

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Are the SS-1's in stock currently? Excited to give these a try!
PLX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #130
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I don't have plans to drop my car much, and probably won't drop it at all. My plan has been to replace the stock shocks with B6s and use the stock springs. I want better suspension control but do not want to have to become even more obsessive about dragging hard parts. Given those goals, would there be any point in going with something like these coilovers? Can they be set up at near oem ride heights? If so, would doing so compromise performance?

TIA
I went from B6's (with rce tarmac springs, mind you) to the SS-1. I've now driven on them for a month, and autoX'd and Tracked them as well for my 1mo experience.

While I haven't run oem springs with b6s I can say this:
B6s ARE better than oem shocks in 90% of situations in both handling and comfort. They're kind of magic. With springs, they had MUCH better handling than oem suspension and were also more comfortable at speed. SLIGHTLY harsher under 30mph but that's not that big of a deal.

In contrast, the RCE SS-1 are FAR more comfortable/smooth/etc ALL the time than OEM or the b6s. They're VERY impressive on the road. They would cost you double or more what a set of 4 B6's would, and comparatively i'm not sure It would be worth it on sheer ride comfort alone if you aren't interested in better handling or ride height benefits....

BUT, if you ARE< the SS-1 ARE a fair step better and would do you well.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
bhmax (03-07-2020), Capt Spaulding (06-18-2019), KevBRZ (06-19-2019), Racecomp Engineering (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #131
CatDaddysBBQ

Garage
My Track Review:
I had a track day that started out dry and then got enough rain to close the course, and I drove in each step between. Track was Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit, IL. Short, technical and almost entirely flat (no elevation to speak of).

I started the first session with the adjustment set right in the middle - I found that to be quite comfortable on the street and plenty aggressive for fun street driving.

On track, after a warm up lap, I found this setting to be a bit too soft for my liking - the car was a bit wallowy. It had PLENTY of grip, and didn't feel BAD, but I wasn't crazy about it. Good, but not great.

For the next sesison, I cranked it up a few notches, basically splitting the difference between middle and full stiff. IT DEFINITELY felt better, but I still wanted to keep going, I felt a bit stiffer would be even better. Still though, this was totally good and I had a great session with TONS of newfound grip.

Before I got to try it out on full stiff (or something close), it started to rain. I moved it back a bit towards the middle setting again just to ease the brakeaway and get a bit more grip in the wet since I wouldn't be pushing the g's as much, and it felt great for that pace and traction level.

The 4th session was POURING, and I went full-soft and the car just had WAY more grip than expected. It still slid around, but again the softening matched the lower g-forces and it felt really composed and didn't do anything dramatic. The 5th got cancelled because the track had standing water all over it, and my day was done.

SO, all in all, i had a good day. I can vouch for a few things:
1: The adjustability had DEFINITE noticable changes and isn't just spinning for show.
2: The ability to gain grip in wet going softer was a very positive experience and I was impressed.
3: My only downside is that immediately I am already looking at running these things full stiff a lot of the time, showing me that the ceiling on them (for my driving ability) is a bit lower than I had anticipated. I FULLY understand that these being a reasonably priced coilover that is street biased with JUST enough headroom to be fine on track - but I was hoping that I wouldn't need ALL of their capability the first time out.

That said, my car is half road car, half autoX/track, and not a trailer queen time attack car, so this is still a pretty great matchup for my use. The top hats are terrific and quiet, the ride is superb and handling ceiling is FAR beyond stock or any spring/shock setup. I DO like them a lot, and would recommend them but just know that for a track-toy I'd bump up to something a bit more aggressive.

Still, great product and still kicks ass for what they cost. I love RCE products and their support of their products, and am happy to give them my business.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (12-15-2019), KevBRZ (06-19-2019), Racecomp Engineering (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #132
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
My Track Review:
I had a track day that started out dry and then got enough rain to close the course, and I drove in each step between. Track was Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit, IL. Short, technical and almost entirely flat (no elevation to speak of).

I started the first session with the adjustment set right in the middle - I found that to be quite comfortable on the street and plenty aggressive for fun street driving.

On track, after a warm up lap, I found this setting to be a bit too soft for my liking - the car was a bit wallowy. It had PLENTY of grip, and didn't feel BAD, but I wasn't crazy about it. Good, but not great.

For the next sesison, I cranked it up a few notches, basically splitting the difference between middle and full stiff. IT DEFINITELY felt better, but I still wanted to keep going, I felt a bit stiffer would be even better. Still though, this was totally good and I had a great session with TONS of newfound grip.

Before I got to try it out on full stiff (or something close), it started to rain. I moved it back a bit towards the middle setting again just to ease the brakeaway and get a bit more grip in the wet since I wouldn't be pushing the g's as much, and it felt great for that pace and traction level.

The 4th session was POURING, and I went full-soft and the car just had WAY more grip than expected. It still slid around, but again the softening matched the lower g-forces and it felt really composed and didn't do anything dramatic. The 5th got cancelled because the track had standing water all over it, and my day was done.

SO, all in all, i had a good day. I can vouch for a few things:
1: The adjustability had DEFINITE noticable changes and isn't just spinning for show.
2: The ability to gain grip in wet going softer was a very positive experience and I was impressed.
3: My only downside is that immediately I am already looking at running these things full stiff a lot of the time, showing me that the ceiling on them (for my driving ability) is a bit lower than I had anticipated. I FULLY understand that these being a reasonably priced coilover that is street biased with JUST enough headroom to be fine on track - but I was hoping that I wouldn't need ALL of their capability the first time out.

That said, my car is half road car, half autoX/track, and not a trailer queen time attack car, so this is still a pretty great matchup for my use. The top hats are terrific and quiet, the ride is superb and handling ceiling is FAR beyond stock or any spring/shock setup. I DO like them a lot, and would recommend them but just know that for a track-toy I'd bump up to something a bit more aggressive.

Still, great product and still kicks ass for what they cost. I love RCE products and their support of their products, and am happy to give them my business.
Thanks for the review! These are our version of a road & track coilover, with a fully usable range of adjustment. Fun, stable, and comfortable with easily approachable limits.

- Andrew
Old 06-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #133
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLX92 View Post
Are the SS-1's in stock currently? Excited to give these a try!
Just ran out, but have more coming next week!

- Andrew
Old 06-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #134
CatDaddysBBQ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Thanks for the review! These are our version of a road & track coilover, with a fully usable range of adjustment. Fun, stable, and comfortable with easily approachable limits.

- Andrew
I 100% agree with that assessment. Very happy.

Last edited by CatDaddysBBQ; 06-20-2019 at 11:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #135
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Is the RCE SS-1 a monotube or twintube design? Thanks
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #136
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Is the RCE SS-1 a monotube or twintube design? Thanks

I thought I read twintube on here somewhere.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #137
Racecomp Engineering

Twintube.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #138
Joshie

Drives: BONE STOCK
Can these coilovers be rebuild?
Joshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #139
femaledog

Drives: 2017 BRZ Perf. Pkg.
I set the coilovers up basically exactly as RCE said to in https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...0&postcount=67

with this alignment:

and then went out and did this. Plenty of room for improvement here but its a decent lap on street tires.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgbYXEvSImM[/ame]
femaledog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femaledog For This Useful Post:
djliquidsteele (06-24-2019), Racecomp Engineering (06-23-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #140
Infinity

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What is the drop range on these coilovers? The RCE page says 10mm-30mm, but other coilovers of similar design like Greddy x KW and ST XTA claim 20mm-50mm. 30mm is only 1.25 inches so that doesn't sound right.
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote