follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBodyMassage View Post
I've seen many on here recommending your first oil change at 1,000. I'm of the opinion that you should wait til 3,500-5,000 miles to do your first change. Here's why: The factory fill is 0w20 synthetic, so it's not dino oil. There may very well be small metallic shavings from break-in, but those all should be caught by the oil filter. The main reason to leave it in the recommended interval is this:

The above is an oil analysis done of a factory fill from a FB25 in a 2011 Subaru Forester. It was taken from http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2251431.

What do these numbers mean? Basically the Moly, Zinc, and Phosphorus are higher than normal oils. This seems to be part of a stronger additives package put in to the factory fill.

Is this being super anal? Sure it is. That's why we're all on this website, specifically in this subforum

If you changed at 1,000 miles will you ever notice a difference? Probably not. I just posted this as food for thought.
Ha, where was this post when I was trying to tell a guy on here a few months back about all of the above info., and he thought he knew better?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote