follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Really? A little bit of engine noise through the shifter is that traumatic for you? Considering the S2000 and Miata both have their shifters attached directly to the transmission as well, they aren't devoid of all vibration. I've driven a Miata and I know for a fact that the shifter is not completely isolated from vibration. Nor did it have appreciably less vibration than the shifter in my BRZ.

So take your troll posts elsewhere.
When you can lose 10lbs of body fat by simply holding the steering wheel in traffic, yes

Have you driven a '91 CRX? Oh, I didn't mention the Miata, the other guy did.
Troll? Are you another one of those children that cannot accept other peoples criticism of your purchases? Sounds like it, every car forum has them. I'm waiting for fixes prior to purchase thank you. Does that mean if I do end up buying one that I can no longer criticize my own vehicle? Or are you suggesting only people who own them have a right to criticize?
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
R8
Spinning Triangles

Drives: RX-8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Unlike a lot of FWD cars these days which use cables to link the shifter to the transmission, the shifter in the BRZ/FR-S has a mechanical linkage. Then, on top of that, again unlike FWD cars, the shifter is mounted directly to the transmission rather than the body.
This ^^^^

Our current Civic, as well as my old Eclipse and CRX before that don't/didn't really have vibrations in the shifter. All FWD.

My RX-8 does. Not like OMG what's wrong?!?! vibrations, but you can feel it. RWD.
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Really? A little bit of engine noise through the shifter is that traumatic for you? Considering the S2000 and Miata both have their shifters attached directly to the transmission as well, they aren't devoid of all vibration. I've driven a Miata and I know for a fact that the shifter is not completely isolated from vibration. Nor did it have appreciably less vibration than the shifter in my BRZ.

So take your troll posts elsewhere.
Miata has less vibration, I have had 2 of them. 2006 and 2010.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaziekeller View Post
I didn't have a vibration, but my shift know was loose (it turned in my hand mid shift one day)... so I tightened it up. a 1/2 turn was about right, but I made the other 1/2 turn so the pattern was right. It's definitely tight! You may be able to get that other 1/2 turn on yours as well.
This happened to me too :/
I really like the stock shifter too
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #19
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Garage
I've noticed a little vibration of the shifter, especially at idle. Doesn't bother me really, gives it more of a "race car" feel I guess. The Si didn't have much until I put the stiff motor mounts on it.

The one thing I did notice the other day was the way the shifter gives feedback, especially engine braking in lower gears. If you get up to say.. 15 mph or so in first gear and then let off the throttle completely, you WILL feel the shifter move the other direction. It's not like it's going to pop out into N, but I can definitely feel a direct connection to the tranny, which I don't mind really.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #20
cwik

Drives: 1st NA BRZ, 2007 GSX-R 600
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
A good transmission/shifter doesn't have to have vibration for example: Honda S2000, Mazda Miata.
Heh, funny story. As I started university, my brother was just about to start his first full time job. Our cousin piloted us on a joy ride in his 80s Camaro project car. The shifter knob jiggled quite noticeably *all* of the time and after we got out (thanking our lucky stars nothing bad happened while going full throttle on country back roads), my brother commented how the wiggling drove him nuts and he'd never buy a car like that.

Shortly afterwards, he moved away for his job and bought an S2000. Driving it for the first time, I noticed at a stop light how the shifter was vibrating a bit. I commented on it, I think both of us realized that it's not necessarily proof of brute force engineering :P.

In short, the S2000 definitely has a bit of a jiggle.
cwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #21
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwik View Post
In short, the S2000 definitely has a bit of a jiggle.
I've never driven a stick that didn't...
sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (06-07-2013)
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #22
Hanzo

My brother had an AP2 S2K and I drove it many times, it was always rock solid in neutral and in gear. Maybe because he bought it brand new, I don't know but I remember driven other S2Ks AP1 and AP2 and they've always felt solid and very little to no vibration from the shifter.

I think the FA engine just has a lot of vibration during higher RPM. I guess that's the nature of that engine. I've had WRX in the past and it is smoother in the higher RPMs.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
[quote=fistpoint;316906]When you can lose 10lbs of body fat by simply holding the steering wheel in traffic, yes [quote]
Not an issue with the twins. Not sure where you think this is going on.

Quote:
Have you driven a '91 CRX? Oh, I didn't mention the Miata, the other guy did.
You quoted his post about the S2K and Miata, agreeing with him.

Quote:
Troll?
Yes:
Quote:
It seems today this place is full of buyers/owners who are grasping for straws with excuses to pass off the issues they don't like.
Making a provocative post attacking other members in the hope of getting a rise is trolling.

And it continues:
Quote:
Are you another one of those children that cannot accept other peoples criticism of your purchases? Sounds like it, every car forum has them.
You haven't been paying attention if you think I'm an apologist.

Quote:
I'm waiting for fixes prior to purchase thank you. Does that mean if I do end up buying one that I can no longer criticize my own vehicle? Or are you suggesting only people who own them have a right to criticize?
Another troll attack, and a pretty obvious one too. At no point in my post did I even mention your ownership or lack thereof of a BRZ or FR-S. I didn't bring that up at all, and you are throwing it into the conversation trying to start an argument. If you are just looking to start conflict, again, I recommend you take it elsewhere.

But since you brought it up.. It does make one wonder how you can guage whther someone is compensating for an issue or even if an issue actually exists since you have no basis for comparison with this argument. Instead, you apparently stepped into an argument that you have no familiarity with, with the express purpose of creating drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
Miata has less vibration, I have had 2 of them. 2006 and 2010.
My BRZ has so little vibration it's barely even notable. Granted, my comparison is to the NA Miata. But I can't see a tranmission-mounted shifter having less vibration without it having a lot of slop.

Dunno, I guess I just don't see it as an issue, and feel that going to extremes to eliminate even the mildest of vibration would be wasted effort that would only put a buffer between the driver and the car.

Again, maybe we're talking about different vibrations. I'm talking about the feel through the shifter as I'm driving.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
DookDookDGM
BR-Zizzle

Drives: 2013 BR-Z, 1985 AE86, 1986 AE86
Send a message via AIM to DookDookDGM
Waaah vibration, waaaah noises, go drive an AE86, noisiest/most uncomfortable car in the world and still a blast to drive. I like it when my gear lever vibrates, it lets me know that the engine is still fucking running and it's another way to feel the car. seems like a win/win to me.

2013 Dark Grey Metallic Subaru BRZ
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-SR5
1985 Toyota Corolla SR5
DookDookDGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DookDookDGM For This Useful Post:
mike2100 (07-27-2012), SuperDave (06-07-2013)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #25
Hanzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookDookDGM View Post
Waaah vibration, waaaah noises, go drive an AE86, noisiest/most uncomfortable car in the world and still a blast to drive. I like it when my gear lever vibrates, it lets me know that the engine is still fucking running and it's another way to feel the car. seems like a win/win to me.
My ae86 didn't vibrate what have you done to it?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Welcome to the land of the boxer motor. Horizontally opposed pistons cause vibration in the shifter. If you're hearing noise, something is loose, figure out what and fix it. Mine isn't doing that.
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #27
Mr. Mcoupe

Drives: ExigeS,M3,S2k,MCpe,MR2T,T4R,Sienna
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If they can direct some of the vibration to the passenger seat so that it effectively acts as a g-spot modulator at varying speeds, my gf would love it.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #28
Hanzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcoupe View Post
If they can direct some of the vibration to the passenger seat so that it effectively acts as a g-spot modulator at varying speeds, my gf would love it.
You should get the "say the craziest things" award on FT86club.