follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #15
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
PM sent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Don't be scared.

A bit of winter lift is the best. If I had cash to blow for fun I'd grab a set for my stock suspension/lift spacer I run in the winter.
You two should talk to each other...
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #16
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,310 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
I have very little use for them since I live downtown, don't have nearby gravel roads, and snow is plowed fairly quickly.

But on the other hand, I live in downtown Baltimore...so maybe a Dakar rally ready car isn't the worst idea.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (12-13-2017), TeutonicShift89 (12-27-2018)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #17
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Don't be scared.

A bit of winter lift is the best. If I had cash to blow for fun I'd grab a set for my stock suspension/lift spacer I run in the winter.
PM sent
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #18
racer1600

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello Everyone! I am wondering if anyone has tried these springs in the summer time DD, track, and gravel. I live in the Califronia Desert. I just got my FRS for a steal and plan on using it as a primary DD, and occasionally doing rally cross / amatuer track days.

I live down a 2 mile dirt road, so the lift will be nice for the ruts and washboard. I drive 230 miles to work 4 times a month, so id like DD ride quality to stay the same or better.

I want to use this car for track days for my wife to learn to drive on a track and build her seat time. I have a road racecar that I use for track experience, so it is not much in my plan to use the FRS as a track car with track upgrades, just want it to be predictable, and handle close to stock, although a bit taller. Although I do think I want to try out some rally cross events, and the lift would be great for that with some softer A/T tires, as long as the springs arent too stiff and wont rattle the car apart.

So to put it simply, I want better Off road, same or better DD ability, and for the car not to turn into garbage on a track so a new driver can gain solid track experience before moving to a race car.

I hope that makes sense, would love to hear your opinions from those who have tried it!
racer1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #19
brzEd101

Drives: Brz
I know this is an older thread but did you need an alignment after the install?
brzEd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #20
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,169 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzEd101 View Post
I know this is an older thread but did you need an alignment after the install?
Any time you change the height of the car you should get an alignment. But the stock parts don't really provide the adjustments you need. To do it 100% properly, you'd want to get adjustable RLCAs and front camber bolts (if not camber plates)
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #21
brzEd101

Drives: Brz
Alright. I'll look into those and the prices on ftspeedfactory. Do you know how much it does change the camber? Do you have before and after numbers?

I ask because I have been rallycrossing this car (it's better than people think on dirt lol) and would like a little more ground clearance as well as softer suspension. I'm trying to weigh my options between getting Koni yellow's with Chihatsu springs, camber plates, RLCA's or going with a higher end coilover set up. If the alignment is no longer nominal but still within spec with just changing out struts/ springs, I wont waste my money getting the other parts. This car will have the suspension and tires changed out for the event and then put back for driving on the street with stock tires and suspension.

Thanks for the input!
brzEd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #22
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
When going over loose grip surfaces, optimal camber is way less vs what's optimal on dry tarmac tracks, due tire loosing grip way before it's sidewalls deforms a lot to need compensating with lots of static camber to restore best contact patch. For camber for gravel/snow rally in 0 to -1 range imho no need for camberplates and such, single camberbolt set should be more then sufficient. Also .. didn't koni yellows have oversized top strut hole in lower mount, also allowing some camber adjustment?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #23
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzEd101 View Post
Alright. I'll look into those and the prices on ftspeedfactory. Do you know how much it does change the camber? Do you have before and after numbers?

I ask because I have been rallycrossing this car (it's better than people think on dirt lol) and would like a little more ground clearance as well as softer suspension. I'm trying to weigh my options between getting Koni yellow's with Chihatsu springs, camber plates, RLCA's or going with a higher end coilover set up. If the alignment is no longer nominal but still within spec with just changing out struts/ springs, I wont waste my money getting the other parts. This car will have the suspension and tires changed out for the event and then put back for driving on the street with stock tires and suspension.

Thanks for the input!
Bilstein B6 may be better suited to that type of driving. Inverted monotube is the type of shock you want as they're a little more robust. They've unfortunately been out of stock forever, but should finally be back soon.

Camber plates are also generally not used off road. Many of the usual plate designs can't take the impacts. Use OEM mounts.

Coilovers that are designed for street/track/auto-x will not be ideal for rally-x. The coilovers that are specifically designed for rally are pretty darn expensive, although there are a few options that aren't quite as bad.

My recommended inexpensive-ish rally-x setup and one that I may be using myself next spring would be: Bilstein B6, RCE Safari springs (in the works), OEM topmounts, crashbolts (not cam bolts), and Cusco rear lower control arms. A couple of bushings as well for the rear.

Yes, we are working on a set of springs specifically designed for light rally-x that will pair with OEM or Bilstein B6. Not a stage rally type of setup, but something you can have a lot of fun driving on gravel/dirt without spending the big bucks for Reiger or custom JRZ or etc.

The Chuhatsu springs will be good if you can't wait, but we're trying to do something a little different.

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 04-08-2020 at 04:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
BlueWhelan (01-22-2019), TeutonicShift89 (12-27-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #24
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Racecomp Engineering: not group-N topmounts? Also i'd add to that set some stronger alu plate for engine protection (possibly also with some "lip" extending slightly before front bumper front edge, so that more chance for front bumper to slide above/over, not dig in). CF engine pan due one-off non-shared mold expenses will run insanely expensive, from what i inquired , unlike CF pans for imprezas, that seems way more common product due more common car usage for rallying. Even if no big rally jumps are planned, extra protection imho won't hurt, as simple slow speed slide off track into snow pile unfortunately may result in too expensive repairs needed for such cheap car , that unlike many popular beaters of past for rally use, have relatively lower ground clearance and bulldozer shaped front bumper that "will love to dig in" instead of being shaped to be angled to slide over with more geometrical clearance.

Last edited by churchx; 12-20-2018 at 12:22 PM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #25
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Racecomp Engineering: not group-N topmounts? Also i'd add to that set some stronger alu plate for engine protection (possibly also with some "lip" extending slightly before front bumper front edge, so that more chance for front bumper to slide above/over, not dig in). CF engine pan due one-off non-shared mold expenses will run insanely expensive, from what i inquired , unlike CF pans for imprezas, that seems way more common product due more common car usage for rallying. Even if no big rally jumps are planned, extra protection imho won't hurt, as simple slow speed slide off track into snow pile unfortunately may result in too expensive repairs needed for such cheap car , that unlike many popular beaters of past for rally use, have relatively lower ground clearance and bulldozer shaped front bumper that "will love to dig in" instead of being shaped to be angled to slide over with more geometrical clearance.
Group N would be ideal.

I have to find some time to look at the TMG catalog at home for a few things...

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
TeutonicShift89 (12-27-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #26
scottman

Drives: 13 mt fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

My recommended inexpensive-ish rally-x setup and one that I may be using myself next spring would be: Bilstein B6, RCE Safari springs (in the works), OEM topmounts, crashbolts (not cam bolts), and Cusco rear lower control arms. A couple of bushings as well for the rear.

Yes, we are working on a set of springs specifically designed for light rally-x that will pair with OEM or Bilstein B6.
- Andrew
Any more info on safari springs?
Thanks.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #27
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
Any more info on safari springs?
Thanks.
Approx 15mm lift. Spring rates designed for compliance and improved handling on lower grip surfaces while still being capable on the road. Appropriate for rally-x, smooth gravel, back roads, and the city roads that look like they've recently been shelled. These are designed to be an option for someone that wants something more capable on gravel/snow/dirt than stock without jumping into a full stage rally type of set up. They will be a lot of fun.

Will work with stock shocks.

- Andrew
Asidrive (12-27-2018), scottman (12-29-2018), TeutonicShift89 (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #28
TeutonicShift89

Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just curious Andrew, what type of wheel/tire combo would you run on these springs? Of course @Liftedbrz and @Liftedfrs went with 215/65/16 combo'd with 2'' lifts but just curious what you're thinking? Perhaps something like a 50 or 55 ratio on 16'' wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Approx 15mm lift. Spring rates designed for compliance and improved handling on lower grip surfaces while still being capable on the road. Appropriate for rally-x, smooth gravel, back roads, and the city roads that look like they've recently been shelled. These are designed to be an option for someone that wants something more capable on gravel/snow/dirt than stock without jumping into a full stage rally type of set up. They will be a lot of fun.

Will work with stock shocks.

- Andrew

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote