follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #491
boarder1995

Drives: 2013 Subie BRZ Limited, black, 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
232 wheel HP. Anything over 210 rear wheel for me is great improvement over stock, especially if torque is improved as expected and the big torque/power dip disappears.
boarder1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #492
DYOLF26

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Of course it is an entirely different platform but there are TONS of boosted k-series Honda motors pushing all the way up to 500 whp on stock internals without major issues.They have tranny issues way before engines ones. And they have around 12.5:1 compression ratios as well. I personally feel it comes down to quality parts, excellent tuning and of course a well versed tech behind the build. I have read that most people with that much power usually are running E85 or water/methanol injection to keep temps down.

Last edited by DYOLF26; 07-14-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: .
DYOLF26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #493
inz

Drives: GTi-R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Keeping in mind you're comparing a proper engine to a silly boxer engine, I agree.

There are about 10 other engines I'd have chosen to use in the 86, and all of them before a boxer.
inz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #494
Alias
Resident Genius

Drives: Subaru Legacy GT, 1990 Geo Prizm
Quote:
Originally Posted by inz View Post
silly boxer engine

There are about 10 other engines I'd have chosen to use in the 86, and all of them before a boxer.

Well, it's a good thing you weren't in charge of designing this car because the low center of gravity it's able to achieve from a boxer style engine is kind of a major focus of the vehicle.
Alias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alias For This Useful Post:
UncleFester (07-15-2012), |-Goku-| (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #495
Gambit

Drives: Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
Well, it's a good thing you weren't in charge of designing this car because the low center of gravity it's able to achieve from a boxer style engine is kind of a major focus of the vehicle.
+1
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #496
MSIZZLE

Drives: lexus es 350
looking forward to this
MSIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #497
Psycho_Sid

Drives: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Accelerated View Post

Don,
Great work! Just a few questions. Is that turbo setup to be water cooled? (ports on the side of the center section) And is the wastegate gonna stay vented to atmosphere or will it be recirc'd to the downpipe?
Psycho_Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #498
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Sid View Post
Don,
Great work! Just a few questions. Is that turbo setup to be water cooled? (ports on the side of the center section) And is the wastegate gonna stay vented to atmosphere or will it be recirc'd to the downpipe?
Sounds like it's going to be oil-cooled from the talk of scavenge pumps and returns to the oil fill cap and whatnot.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #499
86design
Attack By Demons

Drives: 2022 BRZ (pre ordered)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Accelerated View Post
Just in case the turbo kit makes this thing take flight, I've been working on a very simple bolt on system of brakes. Rotors are over an inch larger each. Rotor thickness is increased as well. Pictured are the super expensive DBA 5000 series rotors which are lighter than the factory rotors.

sorry for the question but could the stock brembo brakes from a STI fit our FRS/BRZ cars?? would we need a bracket ?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #500
Psycho_Sid

Drives: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
Sounds like it's going to be oil-cooled from the talk of scavenge pumps and returns to the oil fill cap and whatnot.
Yeah, I remember reading that, but by looks of the turbo it could be water cooled as well... just didn't know for sure.

I just need to hurry up and buy one of these car!
Psycho_Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #501
inz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
I know exactly why they did it and it's a great package for what it is - I'm sure you gathered from my post that I'm not a fan of boxer engines which is clearly a baised opinion.

Toyota marketed this car to the enthusiast/modifier market, and yet they used a flat 4 engine and made the PCD 5x100... Seems to hinder the target market a little don't you think?

It's all a little over complicated if you ask me, a straight 4 TOYOTA engine would have been a much better option. Any hey, everyone knows the cure for understeer is more power

They're not really a Toyota anymore - and that disappoints me a little considering they're bringing back (or at least many would argue) their flagship car.

Anyway, back on topic, Looking forward to seeing some dyno results for this car
Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #502
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty959 View Post
Im not sure why we would take bets on hp... with fi hp is related to how much boost, and how much boost is easily changed. However with this setup the limiting factor may be how much can be wrung out before too much knock etc becomes a problem.
hp is related to mass flow rate, not boost. a slightly larger turbo will make more hp on a given psi.

larger turbos have better flow characteristics and provide higher VE and scavenging. All with less retained heat, lower intake temps, and less tendency for knock in most cases.

A knock limit on a GT25 may be 6psi, but upgrade to a GT30r and you may find that 8-10psi is safe.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #503
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by inz View Post
I know exactly why they did it and it's a great package for what it is - I'm sure you gathered from my post that I'm not a fan of boxer engines which is clearly a baised opinion.

It's all a little over complicated if you ask me, a straight 4 TOYOTA engine would have been a much better option. Any hey, everyone knows the cure for understeer is more power
I agree for the most part. The boxer design has inherent limitations when it comes to its design. An inline 4 would have been a great option, provided toyota didn't use any current designs.

All the new toyota engines I have worked on have shown great promise, with poor execution or a large focus on fuel economy/emissions. they have been weak in factory form, and don't enjoy hp mods without power-related failure in stock-form.

The 5s and 3sgte were strong engines, their new engines are weak.

A great, chain-drive 86x86 inline 4 would be sweet. But in the company of SR20, 4B11, and K20... it's got tough competition
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #504
inz

Don't forget the 4G63 and more importantly, the 4AGE.

Imagine if they'd reworked/revised the 4AGE for the new 86... If only. Im waiting for someone to drop a 4AGE-F20C-SR20DE/VE combo into one of these. 2J's are cool and all - but they're a little bit of overkill...

Just a tad.

Tags
accelerated performance, brz forum, brz forums, brz turbo, brz turbo kit, fr-s turbo, fr-s turbo kit, frs turbo, frs turbo kit, scion fr-s turbo, scion fr-s turbo kit, scion fr-s turbocharger, scion frs turbo, scion frs turbo kit, scion frs turbocharger, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz turbo, subaru brz turbo kit, subaru brz turbocharger