follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #15
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure about pricing in Atlanta, but 18.9K seems expensive for a 2015. On KBB I'm seeing 2017 86s with similar mileage for under $20K. When you consider the damage to the bumper and very likely the trunk where they drilled into the sheetmetal, I would get a quote from a body shop for repairing the bumper and trunk and have the dealer knock that off the price. But don't fix anything, just get some body color plastic hole covers that you can glue over the bumper.

$14~16K would be reasonable, I think. But like I said, different parts of the country have wildly different pricing for these cars.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
Cheeky

Drives: 10 Series FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I agree with Timmy Jones, negotiate for holes filled professionally and you may have a good deal here. If they don't fill holes you can bargain for lower or walk away.

A lot of people do similar modifications and go back to stock before trading their FRS in, so it's not unusual. Definitely try to determine how well it was kept before, service records, paint quality, tire wear, etc... price can still drop more IMO.
Cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeky For This Useful Post:
Timmy_Jones (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 11:11 PM   #17
Cosa

Drives: 2015 FRS
I think I might just walk away from the deal completely, that way when I build my FRS , i know what's exactly been done to it.
Cosa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cosa For This Useful Post:
Clipping_Path (08-31-2018), R_E_L (08-30-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #18
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky View Post
I agree with Timmy Jones, negotiate for holes filled professionally and you may have a good deal here. If they don't fill holes you can bargain for lower or walk away.

A lot of people do similar modifications and go back to stock before trading their FRS in, so it's not unusual. Definitely try to determine how well it was kept before, service records, paint quality, tire wear, etc... price can still drop more IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosa View Post
I think I might just walk away from the deal completely, that way when I build my FRS , i know what's exactly been done to it.

If you were willing to pay 18.9k for that pile, I suggest you save up a bit more.

If you want something unmolested find a CPO offering, you can still negotiate on pricing to bring it down to that 18.9k price plus you still get a warranty and other dealer perks.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 AM   #19
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Very easy to install. Especially when you already have the holes
Some people see holes as a bad thing (black holes?), some see them as a good thing.

Fill the holes, and be merry!
Old 08-29-2018, 02:04 AM   #20
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
That actually sounds like a good price,but personally,I wouldn't buy it unless the dealer was willing to fix those holes. If they aren't,I would get an estimate from a body shop for the repair,and see if the dealer is willing to come down to whatever the difference of the repairs.

More than likely,the dealer is going to give you a hard time and wouldn't go for either of these option,but what the hell,you never know if you don't ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosa View Post
Is that something easy to re-install? Because i am kinda bothered that it looks like that 🙄
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Very easy to install. Especially when you already have the holes

After having a lot of experience taking the bumper on and off for headlights and side-marker and bumper alignment fixes, I'm pretty sure the dealer wouldn't "patch" the holes. They would most likely buy a replacement bumper cover which is $350-$400 (part number SU00301484) prime it and paint it and install it for another $400-$600. Someone bondoing or patching those holes in and sanding it down and then repainting the whole bumper would be similarly priced for a dealership because of labor time and such.

If someone were to buy a car with bumper holes I suggest they buy something off eBay already primed for cheaper like so:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Primere...rd!18966!US!-1

Then get it painted for much less and install it yourself.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Clipping_Path (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #21
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

But in all seriousness, there must be better cars out there. I actually avoided going used for this reason. These cars get modded and abused more than your average car. I didn't want to take the risk not knowing what the car had been through, and I liked knowing I was the only owner.

I completely understand the argument for buying used when you want to go big on modifications, or if you want to buy an already modified car (not even sure I would do that though). But for me there would always be that doubt.

If you must go used, I recommend finding the cleanest, unmodified car you can afford. Have it inspected by a mechanic you trust, and if you get the go ahead- then do it. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:50 PM   #22
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
But in all seriousness, there must be better cars out there. I actually avoided going used for this reason. These cars get modded and abused more than your average car. I didn't want to take the risk not knowing what the car had been through, and I liked knowing I was the only owner.

I completely understand the argument for buying used when you want to go big on modifications, or if you want to buy an already modified car (not even sure I would do that though). But for me there would always be that doubt.

If you must go used, I recommend finding the cleanest, unmodified car you can afford. Have it inspected by a mechanic you trust, and if you get the go ahead- then do it. Just my 2 pennies.

I'm pretty sure all performance cars in this price range and class get modded and abused more than average cars because car enthusiasts like to mod as opposed to average car owners

The reasoning for buying used is simply to save money as it always is it seems.

Also mechanics aren't too good at detecting ECU tune stuff, unless its ecutek most of this stuff is night undetectable unless the tech really knows what to look for or listen for.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #23
G-Na$ty

Drives: 2016 FRS
Hi, first post here. Those holes are from canards it looks like. You might be able to negotiate something with dealer to fill them. When I bought my car it looked like sap had taken part of the paint off the trunk of the car. By the end of negotiations he had come down on the price of the car and agreed to have the trunk completely repainted. Even got them to shave the rear emblem while they were at it! But if its that low mileage even if it was beat on, Id hope it'd be okay LOL.
G-Na$ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #24
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!

Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
Again, pass.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #25
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Hard pass. Find a stock non molested car

Example. I paid 14K for a 2013 series 10 FRS in mint shape with only 58K miles.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
SC10N (09-15-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:33 AM   #26
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Left front hood corner looks bent, and quarter panel around the light appears damaged as well.

What's wrong with the upper corner (upper left in the pic) of the passenger side windshield?

Last edited by PetrolioBenzina; 09-07-2018 at 01:08 AM.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote