follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Alpha86

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Red FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UEL Header Rasp

So I just installed a set of JDL catless UEL headers to pair up with my Spec D (Invidia N1 replica) catback. After the headers were in, I immediately noticed way more rasp than it had with just the catback, it sounded like a tin can full of rocks was thrown into a paint mixer from 3.5-4.5k RPM. Took the silencers out of the mufflers and that helped a lot, but didn't entirely solve it. Stock overpipe and frontpipe. Anyone know the easiest way to get rid of rasp? I want to keep the mufflers if I can, so I was considering having a muffler shop cut the stock midpipe to size and weld a flange on so it'll fit the Y-pipe and mufflers. If I have to get rid of the mufflers too, does anyone know if the Invidia Q300 ones fit on an N1 Y-pipe? Thanks yall.
Alpha86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
j5o5n

Drives: Man
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to j5o5n Send a message via AIM to j5o5n Send a message via Yahoo to j5o5n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha86 View Post
So I just installed a set of JDL catless UEL headers to pair up with my Spec D (Invidia N1 replica) catback. After the headers were in, I immediately noticed way more rasp than it had with just the catback, it sounded like a tin can full of rocks was thrown into a paint mixer from 3.5-4.5k RPM. Took the silencers out of the mufflers and that helped a lot, but didn't entirely solve it. Stock overpipe and frontpipe. Anyone know the easiest way to get rid of rasp? I want to keep the mufflers if I can, so I was considering having a muffler shop cut the stock midpipe to size and weld a flange on so it'll fit the Y-pipe and mufflers. If I have to get rid of the mufflers too, does anyone know if the Invidia Q300 ones fit on an N1 Y-pipe? Thanks yall.
I believe the q300 has more like a vband clamp right before the actual muffler whereas the N1 has flanges for each muffler then one main one further down that connects to the resonator portion of the exhaust, so I don't think they are interchangeable. However I personally have catless uel headers and OP with a Berk FP with a high flow cat and the Megan v3 catback and it sounds amazing not raspy at all, and the Megan cat back was very nice quality and is also only like 350$ so it's definitely on the cheaper side compared to the q300 or even the N1

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
j5o5n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

You sure it's not an exhaust leak? tin can full of rocks isn't what I'd describe as rasp
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
thecarfilmer
IG: @nickwiththefrs

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
You need a new catback. the n1 (or in your case the spec d) is known to sound raspy paired with a uel header. i had rhe same setup before and sounded like shit
Old 07-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Alpha86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You sure it's not an exhaust leak? tin can full of rocks isn't what I'd describe as rasp
It is possible that I didn't tighten something down right, some of those bolts are hard to get to. It doesn't sound like the noise is coming from the front, but I'll look at it asap. Also no CELs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfilmer View Post
You need a new catback. the n1 (or in your case the spec d) is known to sound raspy paired with a uel header. i had rhe same setup before and sounded like shit
I've heard some sound clips of the N1 with JDL UELs and they sound way better than what I got right now (or maybe because all those guys have overpipes and front pipes). Maybe Spec D cheaped out on the resonator badly, but I'll also look for leaks as mentioned above.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j5o5n View Post
I believe the q300 has more like a vband clamp right before the actual muffler whereas the N1 has flanges for each muffler then one main one further down that connects to the resonator portion of the exhaust, so I don't think they are interchangeable. However I personally have catless uel headers and OP with a Berk FP with a high flow cat and the Megan v3 catback and it sounds amazing not raspy at all, and the Megan cat back was very nice quality and is also only like 350$ so it's definitely on the cheaper side compared to the q300 or even the N1

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Q300 has a slip on joint connecting midpipe to muffler. Regardless Q300 and N1 are not compatible.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
After going catless the 3.5-4.5k rpm range on our cars is known to be prone to rasp. Honestly the easier way to get rid of rasp would probably be to get a new catback.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Just do what I did and copper RTV everything!! lol My exhaust leak was driving me crazy.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #9
Alpha86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
After going catless the 3.5-4.5k rpm range on our cars is known to be prone to rasp. Honestly the easier way to get rid of rasp would probably be to get a new catback.
As far as catbacks go, I was looking into a genuine Invidia system, probably a Q300. I'm gonna try and get the stock midpipe to fit since that resonator is way bigger, a shop should be able to fit it for real cheap. I'd rather not spend $600 on a new catback if I can avoid it.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
Just do what I did and copper RTV everything!! lol My exhaust leak was driving me crazy.
Quote:
It is possible that I didn't tighten something down right, some of those bolts are hard to get to. It doesn't sound like the noise is coming from the front, but I'll look at it asap. Also no CELs.

I've heard some sound clips of the N1 with JDL UELs and they sound way better than what I got right now (or maybe because all those guys have overpipes and front pipes). Maybe Spec D cheaped out on the resonator badly, but I'll also look for leaks as mentioned above.

what @Lakitu said, I used grimmspeed gaskets and high temp rtv on everything even the axleback to midpipe connection, and my leaks ceased. Some of the headers and exhausts may not have mating points that are perfectly decked flat and can cause a leak. Also you won't get a CEL from an exhaust leak if you are tuned or have done a O2 spacer cheat.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 07-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
Alpha86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
what @Lakitu said, I used grimmspeed gaskets and high temp rtv on everything even the axleback to midpipe connection, and my leaks ceased. Some of the headers and exhausts may not have mating points that are perfectly decked flat and can cause a leak. Also you won't get a CEL from an exhaust leak if you are tuned or have done a O2 spacer cheat.
Stock tune, no O2 spacers or anything like that. I heard the header gaskets are one time use, I have the Grimmspeed gaskets and the supplied JDL gasket for the header/overpipe flange. If I unbolt the headers to put some RTV, will I need new gaskets?

Side note, JDL says they cut their flanges with a water cutter. When the part arrived, I noticed a slight bit of rust and the flanges were not so smooth. Exhaust leak is starting to sound more like the problem.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Stock tune, no O2 spacers or anything like that. I heard the header gaskets are one time use, I have the Grimmspeed gaskets and the supplied JDL gasket for the header/overpipe flange. If I unbolt the headers to put some RTV, will I need new gaskets?

Side note, JDL says they cut their flanges with a water cutter. When the part arrived, I noticed a slight bit of rust and the flanges were not so smooth. Exhaust leak is starting to sound more like the problem.

I spread mine all around the gasket in a thick bead, I suggest doing this on the grimmspeed ones. Make sure the bolts are torqued down properly when you do this as the rtv should essentially squeeze out. Also don't start the car till the rtv has cured properly if you can, it take an hour or 2 to become "gasket like". I'd make sure you do the header to engine block gaskets as well.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
if you want an invidia catback, id suggest R400, or for even lower volume the Q300
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #14
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Can confirm the r400 is a good exhaust, but they like to break hangers so be aware of that. I switched to a Tanabe Concept G and I like that more betterer.